Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
dolla_bill0913
AF Enthusiast

DOMESTIC vs IMPORT?

Which cars do you think are best for street racing. Imports (honda,vw,etc.) vs Domestics (chevy, pontiac,etc.) and I dont mean v8 firebirds, camaros and mustangs. I am talking about 4 cylinders and some v6s with aftermarket mods done to them. Like a civic vs a cavalier, or a integra vs a neon, or a focus vs a golf, or a cougar vs a eclipse, these are just some examples. I have just noticed that there are a lot more domestic cars on the street racing scene then ever before. It is no longer just import vs import. I just want to get different peoples views.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
dbartoschek
AF Enthusiast

i'm not one for chosing sides.....they both have their upsides and downsides.
Domestics: usually cheaper to buy, and cheaper to repair (parts). Not as much aftermarket support, for example, support for a Cavalier is OK, but it's endless for a civic.
Imports: Usally look nicer, but cost more, more support, but unoriginal.

There are alot of cars i wouldn't mind owning, both domestic and import. Like i'd kill to have a WRX, but i also love the 2004 bonneville.....it's all preference.

Not mine, but a nice one! I have one though, 1994 Bonneville, new vehicle section doesn't let you list more then 1 car.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
TerminalVelocity
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerminalVelocity
ummm, mods who have been thread close/move happy...where are you?

This is just going to turn into the usuall flame war...

Solid Crew (Circa 2002)
Old 02-20-2003, 10:27 PM   #4
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Lately it seems things are starting to even out with domestic vs import 4 cylinders. That one RSX has around 200hp 4-cylinder, Dodge has the Neon with what 240 hp or something turbocharged. Parts are of a wide variety for both, probably leaning more towards the imported market though. That still doesn't mean you can't get a good size turbocharger for a Cavalier or Focus though.

V6 Cougar vs V6 Eclipse, I don't know an answer to that one. Wow that would be a pretty interesting match I guess.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:03 AM   #5
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
Quote:
Originally posted by TerminalVelocity
ummm, mods who have been thread close/move happy...where are you?

This is just going to turn into the usuall flame war...
I'm guessing you're referring to me(THANKS redneck :finger: ). But I'll give it time...See where it goes. If you saw Minority Report, you know that PRECRIME doesn't work
Old 02-21-2003, 06:00 AM   #6
DemonZX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonZX
I believe Devil had the best answer you could probably give. So, Close it before it gets out of hand. :flamer:

R.I.P. "Mama (my Z)" . . . But now we have the VR-4 #683/2000
"Dude, You fucking passed the test, but just barely, wanna know what you got?...F+......CLICK!"
-Tenacious D(Jack BLack)-
"Official Moron Crew Founder!"
Old 02-21-2003, 06:00 AM   #7
Monkey-Magic-S15-R
Banned

if its not a V8 it ain't worth it its better getting an import ie Civic or Eclipse or Nissan 240SX or maybe a Datsun 280ZX.

WOokiE
Old 02-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
How about a Dodge Omni GLH? HAR HAR HARRR!!!:twoguns: That car is ready to destroy!!! If you can find one, that is.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
Self
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Self
Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by DeViL
Lately it seems things are starting to even out with domestic vs import 4 cylinders. That one RSX has around 200hp 4-cylinder, Dodge has the Neon with what 240 hp or something turbocharged. Parts are of a wide variety for both, probably leaning more towards the imported market though. That still doesn't mean you can't get a good size turbocharger for a Cavalier or Focus though.

V6 Cougar vs V6 Eclipse, I don't know an answer to that one. Wow that would be a pretty interesting match I guess.
Yea, I agree. I always love seeing custom turbo setups on vehicles you wouldn't expect them on. I've always wanted to do a turbo build on my Z28. I had planned on seriously doing it this past summer but as I started getting into it I realized it was going to cost waaay more than I wanted to spend(read $5k+). But turbo's are universal, the only things that's hard to come by is the exhaust manifold. Other than that any turbo will work(given it's properly sized for your engine), and you can have a shop bend all of the piping for you. After that, just be prepared to give your life over to tuning and you'll be set
Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 PM   #10
Misundaztood
AF Enthusiast

I myself would prefer V8s(ie. lt1 or ls1)over imports. There are some serious imports ruuning around like 4g63 DSMs, Supra TTs, Vr4s, etc. I just grew up around V8s, so when my insurance goes down & I get my current car paid off, WS6 here I come!

Oh, someone mentioned about a V6 3g Eclipse & a V6 Cougar running. The Eclipse would probally win.
170-hp vs. 200-hp.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
Twyzz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Twyzz
hmm I really like the new focus's.. with 170hp.. so nice

I've always been a fan of V-8's, espiacally a 66 Mustang coupe with a big ass blower..

As for imports I think the only American car that comes close to the hp of the 4 bangers is the focus SVT.

The main thing imports have of over domestics is wieght. except maybe the 3kgt.. to heavy of an import
Old 02-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #12
KrNxRaCer00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KrNxRaCer00 Send a message via Yahoo to KrNxRaCer00
really jus comes down to personal preference of looks. while each has its own amount of after-market support, an each can be quick, it really jus depends on wut u want. i'd take an import over a domestic any day, but thats only because i love the high rev'n motors an light weight cars. the focus svt really doesn't appeal to me, simply because of its looks. yea, stock vs stock, it pushes around the same numbers as a gsr, but the styling is WAY off IMO. but overall, wutever the person wants is cool...jus keep them domestic 4/6 cylinders away from me

99 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
2000 Acura Integra Type R (sold)
1994 Acura Integra GSR (retired/sold)
Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #13
tomlong
AF Enthusiast

Imports are typically built much better and last much longer. It sucks that I have to say that, but I have owned 6 american cars and 3 imports in ten years and the american cars all sucked ass.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:49 PM   #14
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
Quote:
Originally posted by tomlong
Imports are typically built much better and last much longer. It sucks that I have to say that, but I have owned 6 american cars and 3 imports in ten years and the american cars all sucked ass.
You had to go do it didnt you:o Mods keep this thread open why? just cause eveyone els wants it closed so I feel like being different

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
Old 02-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #15
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkey-Magic-S15-R
if its not a V8 it ain't worth it its better getting an import ie Civic or Eclipse or Nissan 240SX or maybe a Datsun 280ZX.

WOokiE

Quote:
Originally posted by tomlong

You too guys just could not helped yourselves from biching and flaming in this thread. How come all the other people can bring valuable input or at least their oppinions and you guys have to flame.

Also weight is not always an issue with domestic cars. I mean heck the new viper has a 8.3L engine as is a convertible and weighs slighty above 3000 pounds while the new 350Z weights at over 3200 pounds. My car is around 2800 pounds that is a bout as much as a new civic ex and my car is bigger. So i say that that is not a factor anymore.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing