Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > SEAT > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 08:23 PM   #46
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

A crash with your Alfa sorry ! I understand that you don't want to remember this when you'll drive again your car. So are you satisfacted with this new Nissan ?

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #47
RALMADA
AF Regular

I have a Seat Leon Cupra R, I live in Mexico City
The emissions regulations in Mexico City are as stringent as the ones in California, so I’m sure the problem for not having the car is not
the emissions issue, as the engine in the Cupra is really an Audi engine, it's the same engine the Audi S3 has (Not this year, as they have 15 more Hp on the S3)
I have raced an Audi S3, and because the four motion mechanism, which makes the car heavier, and because it has to move two more differentials than Mine, I was a little bit quicker.
Seat has just started operations in Mexico, and its s big competition to Volkswagen ( Its from the same family... VW-Audi), and as VW doesn’t have extraordinary sales in the US, with SEAT I think the competition would be unhealthy, as they aim to the same market.
Also remember that the cars from Europe have very high import taxes in the US.
Many of the Volkswagen you see in the US are produced in Mexico (Jetta, Golf, all the Beetles!!), and because of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) they have a special tax regime (considerably low). Seats are produced in Spain, and other European countries only, so they wont have the special tax regime.
I’m sure the problem is not emissions or any other technical regulation, The real problem is costs ( Taxes for an example).
By the way the car is fantastic, incredibly fast and agile, and I mean really fast, and fun too drive.

By the way in the explanation of the characteristics of the CUPRA R, you forgot to mention that besides TCS, ESP, etc, it has HBA. (Emergency Brake Control)
RALMADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:16 PM   #48
Hudson
Old Mod

The Cupra would have to be engineered for US safety regulations in order to be imported. Additionally, the emissions controls on any car needs to be certified by the US EPA to be sold in the US, even if the Mexican-market version may be just as clean. There are a number of variables that must be met, in addition to just hitting certain emissions levels, before a car is certified for the US.

By the way, the Golf is no longer produced in Mexico.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #49
RALMADA
AF Regular

By the way

VolksWagen produces in Mexico the following cars:
Jetta, Beetle, Beetle Cabrio and GOLF CABRIO .
Old 07-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #50
RALMADA
AF Regular

As said in one of my posts, Seats are produced in Europe, and the Cupras only in Spain, which makes things worse, due that in Mexico some companies, like Ford, have their emissions lab certified by EPA, so if the cars are produced by them and verified in their own labs, they are automatically certified by EPA. I agree with you in the safety standards, that have to be verified in the US, and I say Verified not necessarily engineered to Us Specs, as European specs in some issues are higher than US specs.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:01 AM   #51
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

The Leon is a nice car. I post a pic here, (that's not a Cupra )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jante%20003.jpg (83.2 KB, 32 views)

Old 07-16-2003, 11:08 AM   #52
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by RALMADA
As said in one of my posts, Seats are produced in Europe, and the Cupras only in Spain, which makes things worse, due that in Mexico some companies, like Ford, have their emissions lab certified by EPA, so if the cars are produced by them and verified in their own labs, they are automatically certified by EPA. I agree with you in the safety standards, that have to be verified in the US, and I say Verified not necessarily engineered to Us Specs, as European specs in some issues are higher than US specs.
Just because a lab is certified by the EPA doesn't mean that cars tested there are US-ready. Each country has its own level of emission controls. Mexican market cars are not necessarily certified for US sale, even if they've been tested by an "emissions lab certified by EPA."

Yes...some European specs are different (in some cases better) than the US specs, but the only thing that matters is passing NHTSA tests. Airbags, side impact door beams, lights, glass...all have to meet NHTSA specs.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:10 AM   #53
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by RALMADA
By the way

VolksWagen produces in Mexico the following cars:
Jetta, Beetle, Beetle Cabrio and GOLF CABRIO .
The Golf Cabrio has been out of production in Mexico for nearly a year. The Volkswagen plant in Mexico also produces the OLD "Beetle" for a few more weeks.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:43 PM   #54
RALMADA
AF Regular

Stefanel1:
This is my Saet Leon Cupra R, as tou can see from the exterior, there are many differences, including the small right mirror, which is smaller than the left one, the front spoiler, the exhaust pipe, a larger spoiler which is above the rear windshield, alloys, vented front and rear (also vented!) disc brakes.

Hope you like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cupra_r_4.jpg (92.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #55
RALMADA
AF Regular

Another one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cupra_r_1.jpg (93.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-21-2003, 05:48 PM   #56
RALMADA
AF Regular

Another view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cupra_r_2.jpg (94.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-21-2003, 05:49 PM   #57
RALMADA
AF Regular

Last one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cupra_r_3.jpg (84.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 PM   #58
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Very nice car

For the right mirror, isn't it the same on all Leons ? it exists on VWs and Audis.... and I don't see the utility of that !

Old 07-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #59
RALMADA
AF Regular

For what I have seen, this is the only car with a much smaller right mirror, the all the other versions of the Leon (except CUPRA R), have both mirrors of the same size.
I suppose that its for aerodynamically reasons. As for Volkswagen, I haven't seen this strange right mirror difference, but I have sped the Cupra up to 210Km/hr (130miles/hr), and the car just sticks to the ground, giving you a very steady feeling. Perhaps one of the points I wanted on this car was the sunroof, but this option isn’t available on CUPRA R version.
I have a small mpg file of my brothers leon really burning tire, if you’re
Old 07-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #60
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

210km/h... on an highway ? if it's on an highway, I hope that you car sticks to the ground I did 178km/h with a Twingo... But a Cupra is much bigger and less for the cities.
For the mirror, Mercedes launched the "fashion" on the E Class (1986). That was not very interesting.
For the sunroof, that's a good option, but think that without it you've a little better performances and your car is less heavy !

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > SEAT > General Discussion