Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Firebreak
AF Newbie

2001 Grand Am - Power not getting to wheels when cold

Hi All,

I have a strange issue with my 2001 Grand AM SE1. I don't know if these are linked, but there has been a very rare issue ever since I got it that happens perhaps twice a year where I will start it and find that the engine is reving, but most of the power is not getting through to the wheels. Like it's half in gear or something. This will continue until I turn it off and back on. I've talked with other grand am owners who said they see the same thing every now and then, but has never caused an issue. I wasn't too worried about it since it was so rare.

Now I am having a not so rare issue that is very similar to the above. When I first start my car and it is cold, I will see the same sort of issue with power not getting to the wheels. The engine will rev to 3000 before the car starts to move and it will rev really high before it changes to second gear. However, once the car warms up, everything is fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? This morning my car was buried in snow and had to dig it out. There wasn't enough power getting to the wheels to make them spin on snow. I let it warm up for a bit then the power was there. My best guess is that the transmission fluid is somehow settling so that when I first start it the stuff at the top is not thick enough to engage the torque properly, but once it gets sloshed around it works. (I'm no mechanic, but maybe that gives you an idea what the issue feels like)

The transmission fluid was changed perhaps 8 months ago, so it shouldn't need to be changed again, should it? Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Fire
Firebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
crazy Jim
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Grand Am - Power not getting to wheels when cold

these late model Grand Ams have issues with valves sticking in the transmission that are controled by solenoids. Once in awhile mine will stick and cause the shift points to be at a much higher RPM thus making the shifts very harsh feeling, pretty much like what a performance shift kit will do to the shifting. Your issue sounds vaguely related in that the fluid from the pump is not moving due to a stuch valve but later the valve opens up. I'll check my manual when I get home and see what it has to say.
crazy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Firebreak
AF Newbie

Just to add a bit more info. My new issue happens 100% of the time. If the car is cold, the issue is there. If the car is warm, everything works fine.

If the valves are sticking, I suppose in my case the cold must be causing it. What would something like this take to fix, are we talking dissassembly of the transmission? Could it be causing harm to my transmission? I'm guessing the issue is likely to get worse over time.

Thanks for the info so far.

Fire

P.S. The issue has already cause me some indirect damage. This morning when I was trying to get my car out, I thought my wheels were spinning because the engine was revving so high. However, they were not and still had some ice holding them in place. I attempted to turn the wheels to try to get them to grip (Still thinking they were spinning) and blew the rack/pinion seal. Bye bye power steering. The car is being towed to the shop now to get that part fixed. I didn't realize the powertrain issue was that bad until today.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

First I would get the fluid level checked ASAP.

If its low when cold it will slip more.
When you are stuck in snow ,
you can push the button on the dash to turn off the traction control(button left of center). The light on the dash will light up "trac Off".

Hope that helps
Old 12-06-2006, 04:04 AM   #5
Firebreak
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroinfinity
First I would get the fluid level checked ASAP.

If its low when cold it will slip more.
When you are stuck in snow ,
you can push the button on the dash to turn off the traction control(button left of center). The light on the dash will light up "trac Off".

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info, but in this case it's not ETS. (I know how that works and how to know when it's engaged) ETS both shows a light on the dash, as well as causes the engine to rev down. In my case there is no light and the engine does not rev down. I can say with 100% confidence that this is a problem, not a feature.

Thanks for the advice about the fluid level, will have that checked asap. Perhaps that's the issue right there.

Fire
Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreak
Thanks for the info, but in this case it's not ETS. (I know how that works and how to know when it's engaged) ETS both shows a light on the dash, as well as causes the engine to rev down. In my case there is no light and the engine does not rev down. I can say with 100% confidence that this is a problem, not a feature.

Thanks for the advice about the fluid level, will have that checked asap. Perhaps that's the issue right there.

Fire
If you had the trans fluid changed 8 months ago I hope its not that low already... if it is it probably wasn't filled correctly, in which case you should complain to the shop that did the work. Since this is a problem with the Grand Am though, its likely the symptoms are simply due to cold weather. Trans fluid can act up in many different cars when its cold.
One would expect sticking when hot, due to expansion, rather than sticking when cold and metal parts are contracted. Odd.
Ian Szgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

It only takes 1/4-1/2 quart low to cause slipping in the trans.

It is very likly that an air pocket cuold have been in the lines when the fluid & filter were changed, totally logical.

Remember it'll have to be on a lift to check the fluid properly.

If the fluid is correct, then you have trany issues internally that will probly need to be scanned and serviced by a trans capable shop tech.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Firebreak
AF Newbie

Oh my, it all adds up now that I am reading both what I am describing and the responses here. Ever since that transmission flush 8 months ago, I've noticed a drop in power, as well as an increase in fuel consumption. I'm certain that's it now. The cold must be just making it worse. This is awesome because I thought I was having some kind of engine power loss, but it never made sense because the engine itself sounded good and had no trouble revving up. Sweet, I should even be able to get this fixed for free since it's their mistake.

Thanks guys, the conversation was very helpful. By the way, my power steering issue turned out to be a broken pump in case anyone is wondering. They're fixing that now.

Fire
Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
Firebreak
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Szgatti
If you had the trans fluid changed 8 months ago I hope its not that low already... if it is it probably wasn't filled correctly, in which case you should complain to the shop that did the work. Since this is a problem with the Grand Am though, its likely the symptoms are simply due to cold weather. Trans fluid can act up in many different cars when its cold.
One would expect sticking when hot, due to expansion, rather than sticking when cold and metal parts are contracted. Odd.
Actually to me it makes perfect sense. Although the metal parts contract when cold, so does the fluid. I believe liquid will contract much more than metal, so there is actually even less fluid in there when it's cold, which makes the torque converter slip even more.

Again, I'm no mechanic, but does this all make sense to you guys? If so I'm going to storm in to that shop and demand some free service, I'm certain they screwed up my flush now.

Fire
Old 12-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreak
Oh my, it all adds up now that I am reading both what I am describing and the responses here. Ever since that transmission flush 8 months ago, I've noticed a drop in power, as well as an increase in fuel consumption. I'm certain that's it now. The cold must be just making it worse. This is awesome because I thought I was having some kind of engine power loss, but it never made sense because the engine itself sounded good and had no trouble revving up. Sweet, I should even be able to get this fixed for free since it's their mistake.

Thanks guys, the conversation was very helpful. By the way, my power steering issue turned out to be a broken pump in case anyone is wondering. They're fixing that now.

Fire
You got the trany flushed
Thats not good for the transmission at all

thats the problem!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Firebreak
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroinfinity
You got the trany flushed
Thats not good for the transmission at all

thats the problem!
I keep hearing this, but I also keep hearing that with the new sealed flush systems or whatever they call them, it's now something you should do..

Such extremely conflicting information I get on this subject, some say do it do it do it, others say don't touch with 10 foot pole, lol.

Well I did it, nothing I can do but go back and tell them to do it right this time.

Fire
Old 12-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Well the trouble with flushing the trany is not only does it wash away good frictions material from the clutches.

What doesnt get flushed out just gets lodged in the vavle body causing it to stick, not to mention the other components that can mess up with this flushing.

Another thing it does is clog up the new filter sooner then you would without the flush.
But as you said not much you can do, just be leary next time they try and talk you into it.

Good Luck
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 AM   #13
Ian Szgatti
AF Regular

is the trans flush technique the same everywhere? As far as I know, you can disconnect the trans fluid cooler return line, plug the trans return, and add as your flushing out the old. i can see how this would prevent air from entering the system, but it's very hard for me to grasp how new friction modifiers in the new fluid could act to damage the trans... even more odd. I suspect the problem is in the method used to service the trans???
Ian Szgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #14
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Quote:
is the trans flush technique the same everywhere? As far as I know, you can disconnect the trans fluid cooler return line, plug the trans return, and add as your flushing out the old. i can see how this would prevent air from entering the system, but it's very hard for me to grasp how new friction modifiers in the new fluid could act to damage the trans... even more odd. I suspect the problem is in the method used to service the trans???
They use a machine to flush the system.
It pumps fluid through the trany at a pretty high pressure through the cooler lines up front.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM