Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
-=Evol90Accord=-
AF Regular

Question blown shocks?

I have a set of koni yellows out of the car, and one of the fronts doesnt return properly after compressing it. It returns like really REALLY slow. There isnt any oil seeping out. Is it blown or what?

A friend told me that if it doesnt have any "play" in it, like you cant pull it out and push it in fast, then its fine. Is he full of crap?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
CXHatchback
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to CXHatchback Send a message via AIM to CXHatchback
He's right, if it moves in and out freely, it's probably blown. It should be stiff. Think about it, if it can't stop your arm from moving it with like 20lbs of pressure, how's it gonna stop a car that weighs tons more?
Old 06-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #3
-=Evol90Accord=-
AF Regular

It doesnt have any play, and it takes a good amount of effort to compress it, just like any shock. It just returns extremely slow. I cant imagine that this would be acceptable, but my friend told me (and now so have a few other ppl) that its okay. How can this be?

If I stuck this in my car and drove over a series of bumps, it would compress once on the first bump, and then wouldnt return fast enuf for the rest of em, so I'd effectively be riding on spring on that side for the duration of the ride. Am I wrong in this thinking? The spring is not going to push the shock out any faster, since I couldnt pull it out faster after compressing it if you paid me too!