Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool fuel injector cleaner

What are you recommendations? Are there 3 top brands you'd recommend to pour in my tank?

I haven't used any for my current or last two cars, and just wonder if I'll notice a difference.

Sorry if this thread duplicates others, at best it will centralize discussion of one cleaner vs another in one place.

Thanks!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: fuel injector cleaner

Are you doing this as preventive maintenance, or trying to fix an issue? The concensus seems to be the current gasolines in the US are good enough that injector cleaners as maintenance are not really value-added. But if you are trying to fix an issue, then SeaFoam as a decarb as well as in the tank may treat you well.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

hello RidingOnRailz seafoam is good, i regularly use marvel mystery oil and B12 chemtool and have had good results, i even use them in my mowers. techron is another good one. one of my cars has nearly 200,000 miles on the original fuel pump.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: fuel injector cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Are you doing this as preventive maintenance, or trying to fix an issue? The concensus seems to be the current gasolines in the US are good enough that injector cleaners as maintenance are not really value-added. But if you are trying to fix an issue, then SeaFoam as a decarb as well as in the tank may treat you well.

-Rod
Maintenance.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

I would rather spend the money on a new fuel filter, and check your Gas mileage.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Maint. for me also. I am not convinced that fuels today are as good as everyone thinks. Some people seem to never have any problems and some do, but additives esp. top end lubricants seem to work well for me.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: fuel injector cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
I would rather spend the money on a new fuel filter, and check your Gas mileage.

Makes sense. I'm about to hit 30,000miles on my Kia Optima, which is the recommended interval for the fuel filter on it.

You're talking to a guy here who dumped a bottle of carburetor cleaner into the tank of his pos '81 buick century when it was 15 years old. Dad said I was wasting my ___ing money!! You know, old fashioned Dads. I just figured maybe no more than 2-3 bottles a year would be fine.

I'll tell you an anecdote though. Owned a 1996 Ford Contour from '97 - 2003. In 2000, with over 50,000 miles on her, I decided to go for a total fuel makeover(new fuel filter, plus intravaenous style injector cleaning where they hook up this bottle to your injection manifold & throttle body) where the white smoke blasts out your tailpipe until it no longer does. I tell you what: The first thing I did when I drove out their parking lot was to nearly roll that car making a quicker right turn than expected! LOL. I was used to stepping on the gas the way I had, before the cleaning! That car accelerated like it was showroom new!

The anecdote is: Except for engine air filters, don't do anything to the fuel system(besides put gas in it) until you really have to floor the gas to get moving, or, the idle speed is starting to drop or is getting rough, or it stalls altogether. Then, and only then, is it time for a fuel injection/throttle body cleaning! LOL, I could've saved a LOT of cash if not for all that snake oil I used to put in my cars 10-15 years ago!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Plumberboy
AF Newbie

Amsoil makes a really good fuel system cleaner. Cheaper than the BG44K product. I use Amsoil oil too, great products.
Plumberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Yes Amsoil products are very good.