Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
marine33
AF Newbie

1994 grand am se hesitation, misfiring cylinders 2 & 3 not firing smells like gas

I have bad hesitation and acceleration, took it to the shop and they changed the fuel pump, no change in problem, same symptoms. The mechanic is stumped he said its probably a wiring issue because cylinders 2 & 3 are not firing. I have no idea what the problem is they are saying its not fuel related. Car smells and eats gas. Exhaust gets glowing red. could it be the plate that goes over the spark plugs? Please need help. Bad accelerations and wont go over 35 mph and feels like its going to stall but doesnt cant go on interstate no power only running on 2 cylinders. Also changed plugs and coils symptoms same.
marine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
thephantom1492
AF Regular

Re: 1994 grand am se hesitation, misfiring cylinders 2 & 3 not firing smells like gas

I'ld be tempted to suspect the wiring.

Cylinder 3 and 2 share the same wires for the fuel injectors!
The grey wires from the injector goes to the 12V
The dark green wires goes to the PCM, which ground them (probably PWM).

The coils are probably shared between those 2 cylinder too, so check if you get pulses too...
thephantom1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
papa72
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 grand am se hesitation, misfiring cylinders 2 & 3 not firing smells like gas

try going to an autozone and ask for a coil pack housing which is a coil in itself. auto zone offers a 2 yr warranty on their coil pack housings for less money than advance auto. My car did the same thing on the side of I-65 in louisville, ky about two hours from home. ran like brand new rest of way home
papa72 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM