Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
Ron21
AF Newbie

Question Rear brake drums 97 Aerostar

I have a 1997 Aerostar 3.0 L. I wanted to remove the rear drums to check the shoes but am lost as to how they come off. The Chilton repair manual speak of removing 3 retaining nuts after removing the wheel but I can't see any retaining nuts. The drum is not loose either.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Ron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
Jplayer
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Jplayer
Re: Rear brake drums 97 Aerostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron21
I have a 1997 Aerostar 3.0 L. I wanted to remove the rear drums to check the shoes but am lost as to how they come off. The Chilton repair manual speak of removing 3 retaining nuts after removing the wheel but I can't see any retaining nuts. The drum is not loose either.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

look closely at the drum assembly after the tire/wheel is pulled off.
look at the studs comming out and see if you see any thin washer looking things on the studs. I believe this is what they may be referring to. Most auto mfgs that use brakeshoe assy's on the rear use these to help keep the drum on during assembly. They are called retainer washers or nuts, even though they don't look like your standard nut thats what they are. If they are on tight it will be difficult to get them started comming off but once you get them started you can use a screwdriver or needlenose pliers and work them off by unscrewing them or just pry them off. It's not an easy task but it can be done. If you break one don't worry, they aren't a critical part. They are just there to hold the drum in place while putting on the wheel.

Laterz,

Have your ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? It's the world thats been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth...
Jplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Aerostar