Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
cyan0069
AF Newbie

Cool '92 Bonneville Crank, No Start

Hi.. I have a '92 Bonneville SSE that has been giving us some problems. 2 weeks ago I left the house and upon turning left the car just died. I had a horrible time getting it restarted. I finally did and drove it home. Put some gas in it, thinking it was low, it is VERY sensitive to this and started it up and it ran fine. The next week driving home, turned around another corner and it died again. I would get it started and it would drive 50-100 yards and die again. Finally made it home and has been driving fine until today. Went to work and came out to go home tonight and it would not start. It cranks like it wants to start but will not. After some troubleshooting, there seems to be no spark coming from the coils. The coils were replaced 2 years ago, along with the module and the MAF sensor. Any ideas where to start? Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.
cyan0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: '92 Bonneville Crank, No Start

Welcome to AF. This can be caused by poor wiring from the crank sensor to the ign module, also a bad cps, lastly the ign module itself.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Check all the fuses, don't miss the ones under the dash on passenger side.

No spark is usually caused by a bad crank sensor or ICM. I have a couple more things you can check if you have a voltmeter.
Mickey#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
cyan0069
AF Newbie

I do have a voltameter. Any help would be appreciated. We plan to troubleshoot some more this weekend. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Disconnect the ICM wiring harness from the module & connect your volt meter between the negative battery cable and the terminal for the pink (pink with black stripe on some years) wire on the Ignition Control Module. It should have 12 volts with the key on.

If you have 12 volts then move the neg meter lead to the 5th terminal (black wire, 4 over from pink) on the ICM harness. Should also be 12 volts. 92's may not have a wire/terminal there, if so then it uses the mounting bracket for ground. In that case put the neg meter lead on the ICM mounting bracket. Should be 12 volts.

If the ICM uses the mounting bracket for ground then you need to remove the coils, ICM & ICM mounting plate from the mounting bracket. Clean the corrosion (It will have corrosion!) off the top of mounting bracket, both sides of the mounting plate & the bottom of ICM. Apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to all four surfaces & reassemble.

Let us know what you find.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
BnLM5
AF Newbie

Hi, sorry I don't have an answer for your question. However I can not for the life of me figure out how to post. I have a 1992 Bonneville that I have a problem with. Can you help me please? ( with posting)
BnLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Assuming you have a Bonneville:
Scroll to the top & click on Bonneville. Automotive Forums > Pontiac > Bonneville
About 1 1/2 inches below Automotive Forums it will say New Topic
Make sure you tell us the year & trim level of your car.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
BnLM5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey#1
Assuming you have a Bonneville:
Scroll to the top & click on Bonneville. Automotive Forums > Pontiac > Bonneville
About 1 1/2 inches below Automotive Forums it will say New Topic
Make sure you tell us the year & trim level of your car.
Thank you, so much!!!
BnLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
cyan0069
AF Newbie

Angry Re: '92 Bonneville Crank, No Start

Ok, I give up. We have checked the fuses under the hood, we have checked the fuses under the drivers side floor panel, changed the fuel filter, cleaned the contacts for the coils or whatever you call those. We have checked the valve on top of the engine and gas comes out there. When it is not starting, gas barely comes out at the check point on the engine. I stupidly filled the gas tank up, we don't know how to drain it if we have to drop the gas tank to change the fuel pump. I give up. I am so frustrated. This has to be fixed by Sunday. Any help or thoughts, again would be appreciated. If it sits for a bit, it will usually start. However, I drove it several times on Monday after we changed the fuel filter and what not. Ran great. Then Tuesday morning, it would crank but not start. There are so many mixed signals. Please help.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

A simple fuel pressure test at the rail port would tell you if the FP is bad or see if it starts spraying starting fluid into the intake. Same question arises here, do you have good spark at the plugs. Mickey#1 and I both pointed to the conditions that would prevent spark, nothing was done in that direction we are now not getting fuel out of the rail port, start over, spark and 35 psi fp will start this engine. It is possible here you may need a mechanic to assist you on site with this.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
big_e73
AF Newbie

i have a bonneville also 92 se and will crank no spark have replaced the icm and coils and crank sensor any clues what it could be
big_e73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Were the coils, ICM, and crank sensor new parts or used?

Have the harnesses between the crank sensor and ICM been checked? Female connectors in the harnesses given a drag test? Power and ground to the ICM ok?

Check for codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
big_e73
AF Newbie

I cleaned corrosion from the bottom of the icm and the mounting base and the car started it might have been a ground problem the icm and coils were used the crank sensor new
big_e73 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville