Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 12:23 AM   #1
raadhi
AF Newbie

How to buy a used car?

All,
I have never a bought a used car before. But now I'm buying one from a private owner in NJ (and I live in PA). Can somebody explain in few words how this transaction would work? Do I need to buy it in NJ and then get transferred to PA or I can directly buy from it in PA (if the car is registered in NJ)? Any help will be appreciated.
Will the current owner have to go to DMV with me. Note that the seller is as clueless about the procedure as me.

Thanks
raadhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
just buy it from him write up an agreement get a reciept... and get the title...
bring the title to your local dmv and register it as yours... no prob
Old 03-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
CraigFL
AF Regular

Just remember....

Make sure you are buying the same car as on the title(Check VIN), be sure you're buying it from the person on the title and be sure to check the title very carefully for liens, and be sure it's up-to-date. Every state has their own version of the title so it will look different than what you are used to. Have the owner fill out the mileage, and transfer section and sign it. You will need to pay your own State Sales tax when you register it.

You don't want to have to deal with the person long distance to resolve thes questions after the sale...
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:48 PM   #4
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
and of course retain all personal info about the person who bought it from if you ever discover a problem....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A