Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Linuxkid86
AF Newbie

2000 Timing Chain 3800 Series 2

I'm at my wits end here. I drove it around Tuesday night just fine. Wednesday morning it wouldn't start. So i walked up to the gas station put 2 gals of gas in it, still no start. I thought it was the fuel pump because it was cranking over. So i bought a used one with 100K on it, my car has 192,xxx on it. Still won't fire up. I checked for spark, I'm getting fuel, and the battery is dead right now so I can't check the compression. I keep hearing people tell me its the Timing Chain. Its not the security system...ICM, coil packs, plugs and wires have about 20K on them. I also tried spraying starting fluid, still nothing.
Linuxkid86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 Timing Chain 3800 Series 2

I'm at my wits end here. I drove it around Tuesday night just fine. Wednesday morning it wouldn't start. So i walked up to the gas station put 2 gals of gas in it, still no start.

Why did you put two gallons in? Were you low on fuel? Rule of thumb, never let fuel level get below 1/4 of a tank.....

I thought it was the fuel pump because it was cranking over. So i bought a used one with 100K on it, my car has 192,xxx on it.

Why would anyone ever replace a fuel pump, without checking fuel pressure first? And then put in a used one?

Still won't fire up. I checked for spark,

Are you getting spark on all six cylinders?

I'm getting fuel,

What does that mean? You checked fuel pressure? You checked that all injectors are firing?

and the battery is dead right now so I can't check the compression.

Well, obviously, you are going to have to get a jump.......

I keep hearing people tell me its the Timing Chain.

I have never seen a timing chain go on these engine.....not saying it's not the problem, but that would be way down on my list for a possibility....

Its not the security system...ICM, coil packs, plugs and wires have about 20K on them. I also tried spraying starting fluid, still nothing.

Does the SECURITY LIGHT go out after 3 seconds, with key on, no crank?
I don't know what the temp is there, but if it's near 32F, it will be hard to start with carb cleaner.....too cold.....

Have you tried to start the vehicle with MAF sensor disconnected?
Need to know fuel pressure.....
Need to know if you have spark on ALL CYLINDERS....
Need to know if the injectors are pulsing...
Pull the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator and check for fuel in the line.....
May need to scan for codes?
How is your coolant level?

If you have spark, fuel pressure, the injectors are firing, and it still won't start even with the MAF disconnected, then you will have to check compression on all cylinders.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Linuxkid86
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Timing Chain 3800 Series 2

My crankshaft posi sensor was all corroded, that is what originally caused it not to start. I've got a pretty good misfire which I was told could be caused by the UIM and LIM, so I will change those as well as a new plenum this weekend. But at least she starts and don't have to bum rides to and from work. Coil packs are new, as well as the ICM, might do a tune up in a few weeks just to see how things go. Guy said compression was all over the place. We will start with the UIM and LIM, maybe new crank sensor while i'm at it.
Linuxkid86 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville