Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
ModelerSite
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to ModelerSite
Lower prices forever!

Our sponsor HobbyLink Japan have good news for all their customers and those who still aren't.

Please take a look and left your feedback.

http://www.hlj.com/specials/ourprice.html

Thanks for reading

Webmaster
http://www.modelersite.com

Last edited by ModelerSite; 10-04-2010 at 02:51 PM.
ModelerSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lower prices forever!

Finally some good news for consumers. If Mr. Hards is truly aggressive he could become the global price setter. (Like the late Sam Walton of Walmart and Jeff Bazos at Amazon) Looks like he's just strong arming little guys so far. I wonder what the Tam-jimi-gawa folks are going to do about this? They are the key.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

It's cool to see HLJ taking steps to try to provide competitive pricing for their export market. I'm sure they've taken a real beating over the exchange rate the last couple of years.

But I seriously doubt that this represents any possible real shift in Japanese model pricing. The smaller manufacturers have much more incentive to work through HLJ to encourage foreign sales- as they already have very little distribution outside of Japan. But the larger Tamifujigawas will do what they have always done- concentrate on their primary domestic market.

Tamiya has already indicated how important their second biggest (US) market is in their global recession strategy by significantly drawing down the operations of their Tamiya USA facility in CA. Until things turn around, they will continue to make their rice and nori the way they always have- sales within Japan.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan

Good thinking on behalf of HLJ. Thumbs up!
WRCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
matador88
AF Regular

they are only going towards their rivals` prices. others have "discounts" but hlj is still on MSRP and thats making them more expensive and less competitive and i believe customers are moving away. so they are trying to save the situation..
Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Joel_W
AF Newbie

While I'm thankful for their efforts to lower kit prices to their export markets, about the only thing I order from over seas these days are decals. The cost of shipping really drives the final price up. As an example the Tamiya 1/20 Lotus 25 is $25.98 and shipping is listed as $15.50.

One really has to look at the total price before making any decision.
Joel_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_W View Post
While I'm thankful for their efforts to lower kit prices to their export markets, about the only thing I order from over seas these days are decals. The cost of shipping really drives the final price up. As an example the Tamiya 1/20 Lotus 25 is $25.98 and shipping is listed as $15.50.

One really has to look at the total price before making any decision.
That's why you buy when they have shipping sales (like last week when FedEx was 50% off). Sometimes it's even free! I load up then and not other times. Scott alluded to this a while back, so I'd wait...

Daniel
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
matador88
AF Regular

of course, shipping is not low, but prices with shipping is still lower than price in LHS or even other than asia online prices
Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Joel_W
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
That's why you buy when they have shipping sales (like last week when FedEx was 50% off). Sometimes it's even free! I load up then and not other times. Scott alluded to this a while back, so I'd wait...

Daniel
Why would I want to load up on anything that I don't need nor really want just because the shipping is low because of a shipping sale. I'm not a collector.

I went that route 30 years ago, ended up with literally nearly a 100 unbuilt kits that eventually I sold off at loss just to make room for more kits.

There are enough USA based online companies to handle my very modest modeling needs. At best I can build 3, maybe 4 models per year. What I stock up on before each build is any and all paints and detail supplies I might need that I'm running low on.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
matador88
AF Regular

obviously you are not customer this is focused on so why the concern then?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
Joel_W
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matador88 View Post
obviously you are not customer this is focused on so why the concern then?
Just my opinion, as my search for kits, decals, accessories, etc. has at times been way to time consuming, and frustrating to say the least.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Why would I want to load up on anything that I don't need nor really want just because the shipping is low because of a shipping sale. I'm not a collector.
Who said buy anything you don't need or want just because shipping is low? I'm talking about buying what you want or need while taking advantage of low shipping and saving your list up for that time. Nothing more or less. No need to get testy.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Joel_W
AF Newbie

Quote:
Who said buy anything you don't need or want just because shipping is low? I'm talking about buying what you want or need while taking advantage of low shipping and saving your list up for that time. Nothing more or less. No need to get testy.
Didn't mean to get or sound testy. Sorry if you took it that way.

I just interpreted your "loading up" to take advantage of the shipping sale, as just that; loading up. If you need, or planned on purchasing those products and items, then you made out great.

I just never seem to need to buy in bulk.

I purchase everything I need for my next project before I start it, and I have everything to go when I'm finally ready to start it. Now I build basically OOB at this point, so it's the kit, decals, specific paints, and maybe a few items. I try to purchase from just a few companies. I'm looking for service and completeness of order over price. But other then decals, I've found it prohibitive to purchase from over seas.

Again, I'm sorry if you took my comments the wrong way. I had no intention of wanting to come off as testy or snippy.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Didn't mean to get or sound testy. Sorry if you took it that way.

I just interpreted your "loading up" to take advantage of the shipping sale, as just that; loading up. If you need, or planned on purchasing those products and items, then you made out great.

I just never seem to need to buy in bulk.

I purchase everything I need for my next project before I start it, and I have everything to go when I'm finally ready to start it. Now I build basically OOB at this point, so it's the kit, decals, specific paints, and maybe a few items. I try to purchase from just a few companies. I'm looking for service and completeness of order over price. But other then decals, I've found it prohibitive to purchase from over seas.

Again, I'm sorry if you took my comments the wrong way. I had no intention of wanting to come off as testy or snippy.
It wasn't just me that took it that way...look at the responses above.

It's about saving money per item when "loading up". If I can get, say, a can of spray paint for $6 vs the normal $7 at the LHS, it pays to buy several, especially if you use a lot (like Semi Gloss Black). In fact, my LHS just had a 20% off everything sale and I "stocked up" on SGB and bought 3 or 4 cans. I saved $6. This is the idea.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
It wasn't just me that took it that way...look at the responses above.
Just give him a break, he's got the right to express his opinion just like you and me, no need to jump on his back for that.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote