Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Power window switch problem

I am looking for any suggestions on what to try next, if anyone else has had this type of issue. The power windows in my '03 1500, all operate thru the main driver side switch, but its like the windows have been locked out (its not, checked the lock out button in both positions to be sure) and will not operate with their own switches. I have the downloaded pdf service manual for the truck and have used a meter to check the various pins on the driver side switch and they all have the proper continuity they are supposed to have. Any ideas appreciated.
Black_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: Power window switch problem

Does the passenger side have a window lock?

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart View Post
Does the passenger side have a window lock?
Nope, just regular switch for window and one for the door lock.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Black_Blade
AF Regular

I am thinking that the lock out switch is stuck in the locked position internallly. The button itself will pop up and stay locked down the way its supposed to, so maybe the contacts inside are messed up. Not too sure if I will be able to get inside the switch but will see.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Yup, that's what I'd try.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Update: I decided to pick up another driver side master switch at the wreckers..popped her in and it worked like a charm!
The Following User Says Thank You to Black_Blade For This Useful Post:
Chris Stewart (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Very good work, thanks for the update.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Sometimes, a trip to your local wrecker is the best way to preserve ones sanity..lol
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Update:
I'm back to the same problem again with the wreckers door switch...really weird stuff.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Well, yours held up a year. I just got an 03 & have the same issues. No rams at the local pullapart, so found a new one on ebay for $57 shipped. Bought on 19th, arrived 22nd. See how long this one holds up.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Polecat13
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: Power window switch problem

Well, I'm not sure if this applies to you or not. But- where I live (on the west coast in a coastal community) it rains quite often and/or its common for morning mist to roll in off of the ocean. And if you're a knuckle head like me and drive around with your window down about 4 inches all the time and/or forget to roll it up often and the interior door panel gets wet all the time, it's very common to have window anddoor lock switch problems. Instead of going out and buying new ones all that I do is pull the switch or switch panel out, and if you look closely you can see how the back of the switch(or underside) comes apart. They usually come apart in 2 pieces. Remove to plastic (half) on the underside of the switch and you will see the copper contact points of the switch mechanism will be corroded (blue or blue-green corrosion). If you prefer using a spray contact cleaner, that will work. But I often use the eraser on the end of a pencil and/or a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts and the rest of the mechanism, put it back together and I'm good to go! Til the next time anyways. It's just the nature of the beast , for me anyways. Hope that helps ~
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat13 View Post
Instead of going out and buying new ones all that I do is pull the switch or switch panel out, and if you look closely you can see how the back of the switch(or underside) comes apart. They usually come apart in 2 pieces. Remove to plastic (half) on the underside of the switch and you will see the copper contact points of the switch mechanism will be corroded (blue or blue-green corrosion). If you prefer using a spray contact cleaner, that will work. But I often use the eraser on the end of a pencil and/or a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts and the rest of the mechanism, put it back together and I'm good to go! Til the next time anyways. It's just the nature of the beast , for me anyways. Hope that helps ~
With most switches I agree, but. The dodge master control is not a group of individual switches that you can remove. They are all mounted on one complete circuit board. I attempted to disassemble the board after I got my new one.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10