Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 10:02 AM   #1
caddman33
AF Newbie

Knock Sensor

I've got some questions concerning knock sensors. About 6 months ago, I rebuilt the top end of my 95 Lumina Sedan (blown intake manifold gasket). About a month after getting it back on the road, it started knocking (mainly under load) and slowly got progressively worse until it got so bad it shut itself down. During the knock period, I've checked all of the obvious (oil level, etc.) and everything seemed fine. Before I get too far ahead of myself, there is one thing I need to mention which I'm not sure will or will not have any bearing on my problem. When rebuilding the engine initially, 2 of 3 bolts connecting the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe broke off. I bolted it together using just the one bolt until I could get the other 2 (procrastination) and it seemed to work fine with very little if any exhaust leak. In talking with friends, they suggested (in theory) that the missing exhaust bolts caused an exhaust leak (near the head) which caused it to bend some valves creating a knock and tripping the sensor. Now, on to my questions:

1. Is the theory I just mention true?
2. If so, would replacing the bent valves and repairing the exhaust leak fix my problem?
3. Is the knock sensor something that will automatically reset itself, can be reset, or does it have to be replaced.
4. Or is there something else wrong with my car that has nothing at all to do with what I just mentioned?

Thanks in advance for all if any help you can give me on this matter.
caddman33 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina