Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 PM   #1
musclehead24
AF Newbie

Question for all V6 owners

Hey there. I have a question for all V6 owners. Why did you choose to buy a V6 instead of a GT? I'm asking because it seems like a lot of you on here got a V6 and now you are trying to mod it to get more power. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to start with a GT? Was it because they are cheaper? Or just preference? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the V6 or anything in fact I'm thinking of buying it because of the money I'll save on gas. I just want to know why you chose the V6. If it makes any difference Im referring to the 1999 and up V6 stangs.
musclehead24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
Future303
AF Regular

Re: Question for all V6 owners

From what I've been able to tell, most of the V6 guys have them because of the insurance. I have no clue how it works in the US, but I know here in Canada it doesn't really make much of a difference whether you have a V6 or a GT, maybe a $20-30 difference monthly.

While I personally don't hate V6's (some are pretty damn powerful, like the VTEC's) but specifically the Ford Mustang V6's are so gutless, even the V8's for the most part are crippled (The Cobra Engines should have been the STARTING point for the Ford V8's IMO)
95 GT AKA "The Purple Hippo". Stock 302 bottom end. Edelbrock Heads. Performer 5.0 Intake, 1.7 RR's on stock Cam, Stock T5, 3.27 gears, UD Pullies, K&N Filter, rubber boot deleted, A/C deleted, BBK Catted X-Pipe, 180º TStat, EEC Tuner running J4J1 stock BIN. AEM WB02, Minor tunes, running pig rich. No clue as to RWHP feels a tad faster than a stock 05 GT.
Future303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Tony H
AF Enthusiast

Some people may be more concerined with economy. The price is one problem. The Mustang has always been available in a variaty of engines so it will appeal to the widest possible market. This is how it has survived when others have failed. Without the V6 option, the Mustang most likely would not have made it. I have a 200 I6 in my 67 I know this is a little different from what you're talking about but anyway, stock its very weak. I know of a turbo 250 I6 stock except for a cam, 2bbl carb and a homemade turbo. That thing is pushing 300hp and 400ftlbs. downright amazing for the price and not to mention being different.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
JustinV6_3.8lStang
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JustinV6_3.8lStang Send a message via MSN to JustinV6_3.8lStang Send a message via Yahoo to JustinV6_3.8lStang
Well, I got my V6 because it was cheaper to start with *Use 47,000 miles and was 6,999 and the cheapest GT I can find us like 12-13,000 and then the insurance which costs more then 20-30 a month here in USA and also depends on hope old people are and how many tickets. Once you get 25 they lower the insurance alot. Pretty much the you are looking for is Money, because if I had the money I would buy me the 2006 Shelby Cobra GT500.
SO your answer to "Why would you buy a V6 over a V8"
Money.

HAHAHAH NM I said 12-13,000 make it more around 14,999-18,000

Last edited by JustinV6_3.8lStang; 04-28-2005 at 10:13 PM.
JustinV6_3.8lStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
musclehead24
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Question for all V6 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future303
From what I've been able to tell, most of the V6 guys have them because of the insurance. I have no clue how it works in the US, but I know here in Canada it doesn't really make much of a difference whether you have a V6 or a GT, maybe a $20-30 difference monthly.

While I personally don't hate V6's (some are pretty damn powerful, like the VTEC's) but specifically the Ford Mustang V6's are so gutless, even the V8's for the most part are crippled (The Cobra Engines should have been the STARTING point for the Ford V8's IMO)
Hey you're in Canada? Me too man. Where abouts do you live?
musclehead24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

im 17... i didnt have much choice, but when i got my car we were actually looking for a truck, this was last year, and my uncle is a car dealer so we got into a dealer auction, and you get killer deals at those things cause thats where the dealers buy their cars. well we were looking for a truck and my mustang came through and no one was bidding on it and we got a frickin steal on it, so thats how i got it. i got it about a year ago and my trade-in value on my car is still worth more than i paid for it if that tells u anything. cool thing was that i was already a huge ford/mustang guy anyway.
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:33 AM   #7
silverstangs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silverstangs
Being that I owned two V6 mustangs and now have 1 V6 and 1 GT.........

The gas milage is EXACTLY the same between the 01 5 speed V6 and my 03 Mustang GT which is also a 5 speed. The 00 auto actually gets better gas milage than both.

As far as being a gutless wonder....... my 01 put down 172.8rwhp and 206.8rwtq bone stock with the only mods being 5 star GT rims, eibach springs, MM CCplates and GT fog lights, in other words, basically untouched.

I tacked out trying to avoid being wiped out by a simi....... "never put tranny in 1st gear at 80+mph".... so I blew the engine with high rpms....

My best friend wanted more power with his mustang.

Both of us rebuilt our 3.8L's and turned them into a 4.2L, ported and polished the heads and intake, and used forged everything, dropped the compression down to 8.5:1 added a cam, roller rockers and a light weight flywheel. now at 212rwhp and 261rwtq. the car was ready for a blower at that point.

He added a procharger ran it at 7~11 psi and squeezed off 342rwhp and 340rwtq. swapped pulley's and went ot 11~15 psi and jumped to 404rwhp and 412rwtq.

He bought the mustang for $14k from the dealer.... year end add sales....... loaded but 5 speed. He spent $8k between motor and blower.....

another $7k on suspension, interior and body....

curb weight 3011lbs on the scales..........

so he has a $30k car that looks good, runs strong and handles fine.

Where else are you going to buy brand new car $30k with full suspension, body work and engine work.......

I went with the GT, and he kills me period.........
Old 04-29-2005, 05:45 AM   #8
Future303
AF Regular

Quote:
Hey you're in Canada? Me too man. Where abouts do you live?
I'm in Toronto man, what about you?
95 GT AKA "The Purple Hippo". Stock 302 bottom end. Edelbrock Heads. Performer 5.0 Intake, 1.7 RR's on stock Cam, Stock T5, 3.27 gears, UD Pullies, K&N Filter, rubber boot deleted, A/C deleted, BBK Catted X-Pipe, 180º TStat, EEC Tuner running J4J1 stock BIN. AEM WB02, Minor tunes, running pig rich. No clue as to RWHP feels a tad faster than a stock 05 GT.
Future303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
MARS
AF Regular

I bought my v6 for a couple of reasons: Cheaper insurance, I didn't want to spend over $13,000 for a used STANG. I could have gotten a 95-98 Gt, but with the mileage they had forget about it (considering this was going to be a car I would own for a long time). Besides... my Honda CBR954RR (crotch rocket for those who are wondering) makes up plenty of lost POWER AND SPEED, whether it's a Cobra, Corvette, or any other fast cager. But that's a whole different ball game! God I love 2 wheels!!
2000 CHEVY BLAZER
MARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
TwEeKeDStang
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TwEeKeDStang

I pretty much got my 1997 6banger because it was cheaper and I didn't have a crap load of cash on me. I also personally don't like convertables (which mine is), but you gotta deal with what you can get. Also, I happen to really like moding a car and all, so the 6 wont be in for long.
Also, you can tune teh 6 for some pretty decent kick. All we did was get in there and change out the headers, add some new sparkies, and slap on some new rubber and it was doing (as well as sounding, which makes me think that the crap sound was due to a misfiring sparkplug).
oh... and insurance. DEF insurance.

IRELAND FER EFFIN' EVER
TwEeKeDStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
232FIed
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 232FIed

i bought a 99 v6 because i knew they weren't insane on gas or insurance. i mean i have my usual problems but i'm only 20 years old and i love the look of these cars. a few people think they're not fast, and that nothing will make them fast. i swapped gears and installed tracloc, intake and headers back slp exhaust and a few engine tweeks here and there, suspension upgrades and a set of fittipaldis with 255/40/17s. every weekend me and my friend go down the ave, this local car spot, and drive around... i keep up with the GTs easy, even smokedd a few. 5.0s have nothing on a lighter, stronger ford.
theres alot of strokes that leave the v6s bone stock and end up giving us actual enthusiasts the bad name that the supposed "slow 232" owners are looked at as.
i didn't get a car and want it faster or more powreful, i just knew it had potential, any car can really be quick. and no offence to the GT owners but if were talking unimpressive. really all the mustangs lack that extra edge.

one mans opinion. hope this helped
232FIed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

It didn't help, that thread is 3 months old.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #13
silverstangs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silverstangs
Re: Re: Question for all V6 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGT2000
It didn't help, that thread is 3 months old.

so old I forgot I posted on this thread.......
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
tedhontz
AF Newbie

I just bought mine. I've had 12, now 13 Mustangs. All were foxbody stangs except my last one was a 94 SN95 with 5.0 and stick. I hated it. Then last week I bought one on impulse. 2000 body style Mustang V6 manual. I just got a 2012 Hyundai Elantra so this is just a toy. When gas prices are $4 a gallon I'm glad I got a V6. Plates are cheaper in my state VS the V8. It's less of an auto insurance bill to drive the V6. And, I got a 2000, with 98K, for $2200. It has a loud dual exhuast out the sides and sound decent. For $2200 for that year and that miles, I'll take the V6.
tedhontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
FireBal989
AF Newbie

The V6 gets better gas mileage, has lower insurance and has less engine maintenance, the gas mileage is a huge factor haha
FireBal989 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk