Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Gallardo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 03:47 AM   #31
mhh1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: e-gear problem in 1st gear when the engine is cold

[quote=coolguy949] One of the worst sounds i've ever hear is bottom out a lamboghini. LOL.QUOTE]

Coolguy, you aren't kidding about that noise. It sounds worse than it is - there is a flange made for just this purpose on the Gallardo - but it sure stops you in your tracks!

mhh
mhh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #32
dougrogers
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy949
Hey guys, I drove in the Motor Trend test Gallardo (issue coming soon). My good friend is a Road Test editor there. I spent all weekend in the car, and the e-gear was flawless. Even during the test and Streets of Willow it was rock solid. We went up countless driveways and it never stalled. Sometimes it would have trouble going over speed bumps though because its so low. One of the worst sounds i've ever hear is bottom out a lamboghini. LOL.

Hopefully you guys get the problems squared away!!
Are you in the Los Angeles area? I would like to see you do this on my driveway - I bet the same result would happen, in fact I'll put money on it.

I read all the reviews of the Gallardo before purchasing one, and I just don't think they are comprehensive enough, largely driving on racetracks or highways. I think the reviewers wouldn't get a first look at an upcoming model (which sells magazines) if they told the truth about some of the problems.

If this was an isolated problem with my Gallardo, (a) they would have fixed it and returned it to me - they have had it for the last two months; and (b) others wouldn't be coming forward with the same complaint (which many are).

Btw, I invited Lamborghini to bring their 'test' car and come up my driveway to see if there was any difference, as it had been completely run in - they declined, even though the car was in the L.A. area.

Just so you know, in the 10 years I have owned my home I've never seen any vehicle have a problem like the Gallardo getting up and down the driveway. FedEx drives up and down in their large vans no problem.

Did your reviewer friend take it up a steep driveway that required reversing due to the tight turns (another problem because of the 4WD) - I bet not? If your reviewer friend doesn't alert readers to this problem, or investigate it further, it will do future potential purchasers a disservice and Lamborghini will never fix it (which will do a disservice to current owners that have the problem). On other Lambo forums owners are reporting 'jerkiness' in low gears on the 'flat' also, but it becomes a real problem the steeper the incline.

I really would like to see your friend conduct this test on my driveway - I would film the result and post it here!

-DR

Last edited by dougrogers; 05-10-2004 at 10:31 AM.
dougrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:27 AM   #33
coolguy949
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to coolguy949 Send a message via AIM to coolguy949 Send a message via MSN to coolguy949 Send a message via Yahoo to coolguy949
I'm in Orange County, but Motor Trends HQ is on Whilshire right by Rodeo Dr. I believe Lambo takes their loaner back today.

Even though my friend is not writing the actual article...I will have him notify the editor and i'll give him a link to this board too.

From what I can observe, a few people on this board have the same problem. It doesnt look isolated at all.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #34
dougrogers
AF Newbie

Re: e-gear problem in 1st gear when the engine is cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy949
I'm in Orange County, but Motor Trends HQ is on Whilshire right by Rodeo Dr. I believe Lambo takes their loaner back today.

Even though my friend is not writing the actual article...I will have him notify the editor and i'll give him a link to this board too.

From what I can observe, a few people on this board have the same problem. It doesnt look isolated at all.
Thanks!

Please have him check other Lambo forums also such as lamborghini-talk.com. I can also put him in touch with other owners that are having "lurching" problems with e-gear even on slight inclines. Some owners suggest the steep hill problem is related to the long 1st gear (0-63mph) and really the Gallardo needs a lower gear for these conditions, others say it's just a computer program still in development controlling e-gear since this is year 1 for Lamborghini e-gear (Ferrari are into year 4 and the problems are only now improving), others say it's a combination of hardware and software and it won't be resolved until at least the 2005 model is released. I don't know what the truth is, what I do know is, it prevented me from bringing my Gallardo home each night without risking it catching on fire!

Motor Trends is an influential magazine, I hope they do a thorough job!

- DR
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #35
mhh1
AF Newbie

Doug, while we are waiting, can you post a pic or two of your driveway? I'm curious enough (in the interests of science) to try my car on something similar if I can find it here.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #36
dougrogers
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh1
Doug, while we are waiting, can you post a pic or two of your driveway? I'm curious enough (in the interests of science) to try my car on something similar if I can find it here.
I can't photograph the whole driveway because there are trees between the turns. I would compare the conditions to those found in the hills of Monte Carlo if you've been there.

- DR
Old 05-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #37
mhh1
AF Newbie

Sorry Doug, I haven't been to Monte Carlo - wish I had though!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #38
dougrogers
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh1
Sorry Doug, I haven't been to Monte Carlo - wish I had though!
What area do you live in?

- DR
Old 05-10-2004, 02:51 PM   #39
cypher908
AF Newbie

Did you by cahnce stry to start in second gear to see what happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise
I love every aspect of my Gallardo. Guys, this is a really an awesome car and I owned quite a few exotics to compare.

The only issue I have is that the e-gear goes weird when the engine is a little cold. The problem is a bit erratic but Symbolic confirmed they have the same problem on other cars too. I usually always wait a few minutes before I drive a car after I start it.

The e-gear seems to need more time to warm up because as soon as I accelerate in first gear the engine dies, goes, dies and goes again. The problem disapears after a few minutes or as soon as the car is launched in a higher gear.

I also feel the normal e-gear mode very slow compared to the same on a Ferrari. I only drive my G car in sport mode, and the accelerations are symply fantastic.

I'd love to hear what other owners have to say about these.
cypher908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #40
mhh1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: e-gear problem in 1st gear when the engine is cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrogers
What area do you live in?

- DR
I'm in Adelaide, Australia.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #41
coolguy949
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to coolguy949 Send a message via AIM to coolguy949 Send a message via MSN to coolguy949 Send a message via Yahoo to coolguy949

Ok, everyone. Got in contact with my friend at MT. He says he will definately pass this along. I also encourage everyone to email the guys at Motor Trend since the article is still being written to let them know of your experiences.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:45 PM   #42
driva550
AF Newbie

EGear Hesitation

I have a new EGear with new Sport Suspension- Drives much better than the first EGear I got in December right out of the box. Also had Prestige Imports Miami change exhaust. It not only sounds much better but the car "breathes " better and hesitation problem not like with intro car. I also have Ferrari 360 spider and can not drive it the same way. Must be more aggressive with the Gallardo for optimum performance. Its the nature of this beast right now- I am not saying that its right but its a beast if you want it to be. If you want an everyday less excitement and less commitment to driving - take your SUV out instead. Drive the LAMBO and it will drive!
driva550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #43
gdv001
AF Newbie

E-gear Hesitation

I have a Silver 04 Gallardo that I bought from Lamborghini Dallas in January 2004. I have driven it about 950 miles so far. I have had the same e-gear hesitation problems when the car is cold. After the car has warmed up, the problem seems to go away. Other than the e-gear issue and the fact that the car attracts so much attention (is it possible to fill it up without having someone strike up a conversation?), it is a great car.

The only other problem that I have had is that when I fill up the gas tank, if I try to fill it up quickly, the automatic shutoff on the gas nozzle engages and I have to start over again. Has anyone else had that problem? It can be very frustrating.

I don't doubt the issues with going up hill, but I have to admit that I have not experienced them. When I drive the Gallardo to work, I go up 13 floors in our parking deck and, due to numerous speed bumps, I have to go slowly. I generally go in 2nd gear because it is smoother than 1st and have not had any issues at all.
gdv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 AM   #44
jesteraver
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jesteraver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise
I love every aspect of my Gallardo. Guys, this is a really an awesome car and I owned quite a few exotics to compare.

The only issue I have is that the e-gear goes weird when the engine is a little cold. The problem is a bit erratic but Symbolic confirmed they have the same problem on other cars too. I usually always wait a few minutes before I drive a car after I start it.

The e-gear seems to need more time to warm up because as soon as I accelerate in first gear the engine dies, goes, dies and goes again. The problem disapears after a few minutes or as soon as the car is launched in a higher gear.

I also feel the normal e-gear mode very slow compared to the same on a Ferrari. I only drive my G car in sport mode, and the accelerations are symply fantastic.

I'd love to hear what other owners have to say about these.
That sucks, I was planing on getting one soon :S guess it wont be able to hand -20dC weather outside. Plus I'm to lazy to drive standard, I hate cheap standard cars cant see which gear u change to.
jesteraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #45
TUBE GUY
AF Newbie

Re: EGear Hesitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by driva550
I have a new EGear with new Sport Suspension- Drives much better than the first EGear I got in December. I also have Ferrari 360 spider and can not drive it the same way. Must be more aggressive with the Gallardo for optimum performance. Its the nature of this beast right now

So how does it compare to your 360? I mean...outside of the "newness" factor which goes away....can you elaborate? Like..as deep as you can spare time too?

I have a 360 spider now, and like it though I have had it in the shop for little bullcrap things a few times. I would like to have both, but that is kinda wasteful and nuts.

Is you new Gallardo really different than the first one you had? What is Sport Suspension?
TUBE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote