Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
my35rl
AF Newbie

1991 Buick Skylark Stalling

1991 buick skylark

Car stalls after driving a few miles. When I start it back up, it stalls again when I put it in Drive or Reverse. After waiting 5 mins or so, you can put it in Drive and everything is back to normal, then the stalling happens again after a few more miles of driving. Can someone please help me with this situation?
my35rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
Madcat455
AF Regular

Does it only stall when comming to a stop? or will it just shut off while driving??

If only while comming to a stop, does putting it in Neutral prevent it from stalling... or make no difference?

Any funny noises or running wierd latley before it started stalling... ie: sputtering, pinging, blowing smoke, chattering after shifting into 3rd... etc.?
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
my35rl
AF Newbie

Re: 1991 Buick Skylark Stalling

Does it only stall when comming to a stop? (Yes) or will it just shut off while driving?? (No)

If only while comming to a stop, does putting it in Neutral prevent it from stalling... or make no difference? (Putting it in Neutral prvents it from stalling)

Any funny noises or running wierd latley before it started stalling... ie: sputtering, pinging, blowing smoke, chattering after shifting into 3rd...
(Sputtering takes, place then it will shut off when you come to a complete stop. (There is also a ticking noise while driving and at a complete stop.)

Thank you for your time and attention,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat455

Does it only stall when comming to a stop? or will it just shut off while driving??

If only while comming to a stop, does putting it in Neutral prevent it from stalling... or make no difference?

Any funny noises or running wierd latley before it started stalling... ie: sputtering, pinging, blowing smoke, chattering after shifting into 3rd...

etc.?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Madcat455
AF Regular

Based on what you've said (I think the Ticking is separate... probably just a bad lifter or something)... Most likley a Bad TCC solonoid. It's not unlocking the converter, so there is no slip when stopping... kinda like not pressing on the clutch on a standard trans while leaving it in gear.

Pretty common problem in GM FWD transmissions as they get around 125+K on them... I've had 3 go out on me on seperate cars in the last year.

CHeap fix if it's just a beater... Find the power wire to the TCC switch and unplug or cut it (make sure that it's not locked up when you do this though). That'll also let you diagnose it (if you can just unplug it easiely) to make sure it's the prob.

OR... you can replace the TCC... On my cars (92 transport, 96 Grand am, and 94 Sunbird that's getting ready to go out)... both the 92 & 96 had to have the trans dropped in order to get to it. Not worth it to me so I just cut the wire on the 92 (sold the 96), drove for another 40K on the 92, then sold it to a friend (real cheap)... and he is still driving it... has over 240K miles on it now(I cut it at 154K) and still going with no problems after cutting the wire (well... except for the Check Engine light allways on).

I don't know yet about the 94 'bird.... It only has 90K on it and is just starting the tell tale "chatter" when it locks up.

Keep in mind.... it could also be fuel related or electrical.... but with a GM and only cutting out when stopping, odd are in favor of the TCC solonoid.

Good Luck.
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
my35rl
AF Newbie

Re: 1991 Buick Skylark Stalling

Thanks again Madcat455. I appreciate you helping out in this matter. I will have The TCC checked tomorrow. Take care, and I will let you know what happens.

My35rl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat455
Based on what you've said (I think the Ticking is separate... probably just a bad lifter or something)... Most likley a Bad TCC solonoid. It's not unlocking the converter, so there is no slip when stopping... kinda like not pressing on the clutch on a standard trans while leaving it in gear.

Pretty common problem in GM FWD transmissions as they get around 125+K on them... I've had 3 go out on me on seperate cars in the last year.

CHeap fix if it's just a beater... Find the power wire to the TCC switch and unplug or cut it (make sure that it's not locked up when you do this though). That'll also let you diagnose it (if you can just unplug it easiely) to make sure it's the prob.

OR... you can replace the TCC... On my cars (92 transport, 96 Grand am, and 94 Sunbird that's getting ready to go out)... both the 92 & 96 had to have the trans dropped in order to get to it. Not worth it to me so I just cut the wire on the 92 (sold the 96), drove for another 40K on the 92, then sold it to a friend (real cheap)... and he is still driving it... has over 240K miles on it now(I cut it at 154K) and still going with no problems after cutting the wire (well... except for the Check Engine light allways on).

I don't know yet about the 94 'bird.... It only has 90K on it and is just starting the tell tale "chatter" when it locks up.

Keep in mind.... it could also be fuel related or electrical.... but with a GM and only cutting out when stopping, odd are in favor of the TCC solonoid.

Good Luck.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark