Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > SCCA Racing > Solo Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
S15punk03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to S15punk03
Question automatic autocross?

hey guys. new posting here. names michael, mikey, whatever. anyways, i was given, recently, a 1988 nova. automatic and sedan...lol. most are already thinking WTF? what a pos...but, im going to work on it. ill put a 4age...its FF, better than it seems, but im stuck on the fact that its an automatic. this pis$ed me off, but beggars cant be choosers. it was free. question is? can i autoX it? i mean i know u can autoX anything but being auto, what should i do? any strategies for AutoXing an auto, non sports shifting sedan? also, anyone have experience ith these cars? whaddya think? oh, and FYI, im only getting this for a first car. in two years, ill have a miata....

All feedback is appreciated as long as its not WHAT A GAY CAR!....

-Mikey
S15punk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Re: automatic autocross?

What a gay car!!

lol/jk

I don't know what a nova is, the only nova I know is the Chevy Nova, but it doesn't seem like that's what you have. Anyway, Auto-x is all about skill, go sign up at an autox school and you are all set up. Basic techniques are:

Trail braking
Left foot braking

Maybe more, i don't know at this time... Somebody add more.

You gotta remember that auto x has more turns than straight aways, the most fast you go would probably be 70-80 KPH.

The great thing about having a POS car is that, if you beat a person that has a better car, you will know how good you really are. Plus you get to laugh in their faces.
Auto_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

Autocrossing is 75% driver, 20% tire .... that last 5% is car.
You can do a lot with almost anything
Old 06-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
S15punk03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to S15punk03

its a chevy nova...its just a new old nova...its supposed to be a usdm ae92, but its a family sedan, piece of junk. post '79 nova's arent "really" novas, per se...they are prizm/corolla's...my question though, are there any tips for autox'ing an automotic??? everyone talks about manual...never any auto discussion...Thanks for the replies!!!

-Mikey
S15punk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
engineer
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to engineer

ok i know u all say that car is only 5%... ( ithink it is more than that but i agree main part is driver) would a 4ac equipped ae86 sprinter levin hatch make a good auto-Xer???...<2200lb, rwd... and in auto-X how much difference would a 4age swap make, i think it would make power oversteer easier... right? (would be manual, i dont own the car but i can get it very cheap)
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #6
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Maybe good for road racing, but I doubt autocross, it is RWD...If it was FWD, it would pull through the low speed turns with no problem, even if the rear wheels slip it wouldn't affect the front drive wheels. With power oversteer, your rear drive wheels will slip, therefore giving little to no power to the ground. But hey, who says you can't pick up drifting?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:08 AM   #7
engineer
Banned

lol u mite be real smart but im hesitant 2 take advice from a ... "auto newb" lol
Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 AM   #8
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Well, I WAS a newb but now am not (I can't change account name!) ! I am very proud of schooling a load of people on this board... I can show you if you want i:
Old 08-17-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
engineer
Banned

i was only kidding i mean i only have 2 look that u have 4x as many posts as me duh... owned? u got owned for ur incredible ineptness at detecting sarcasm
Old 08-19-2004, 03:16 AM   #10
Auto_newb
AF Enthusiast

Actually I did detect the sarcasm very well, I JUST re read my post, and you obviously didn't understand when I meant "show you", because if you want, I can make links to threads where I schooled some guys here (in case you ACTUALLY think I don't know what I am talking about). Besides, post counts are nothing, I could have one thousand posts full of crap in the off topic forum and it still wouldn't matter right? I didn't know you would take it offensively....cool it okay?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:11 AM   #11
deadlight
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, I owned an 88 Nova with an automatic, it was free so I couldn't turn it down, not bad get up and go for what it was, although my equally shitty car, an 84 Renault Encore handled much better than the Nova. If you want I can actually get you in touch with an owner of a turbo'd 88 Nova hatch, I believe he races his as well.