Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Avenge
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Avenge
Angry 97 avenger es

hello everyone I purchased a 97 dodge avenger es in june of last year with 48.000 miles on it, and I am allready haveing problems with it. First of all the secerty system that was installed was a aftermarket p.o.s. and witch was not dodge's falt, so currently Im just lock and key, both lower control arms/ball joints have went bad, and if i didnt replaced these it would be a horrible noise , that you could hear from a block away, now my current problem is that it would die at every stop I make, I put new spark plugs in it, witch cured the problem for about a week, but now its currently back to its oldways of dieing on me. Does anyone have any clues/tips what it could beż? Im thinking its a sensor, buts thats a willd guess

p.s. I know that the typeing is not the greatest and im sorry, if you need any clearfication just post it and ill help you out Thanks
Avenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well, first thing I would suggest is getting rid of the aftermarket alarm completely if you already haven't. They ALL screw over your electronics. The only alarm I will ever have are the factory installed ones.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Avenge
AF Newbie

got rid of it allready for 30 bucks it was the best thing ever to do, also does remote starters ruin the starter?
Old 02-17-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
They shouldn't, but they also, like alrams play hell with the electronics. My brother had a '98 Avenger ES and had an aftermarket alarm with the remote starter and his car never ran the same again. He ended up selling and buying a Jeep, then again he didn't remove the system. I wouldn't say that the remote starter couldn't ruin the starter but it isn't likely.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
Avenge
AF Newbie

well here is the latest news on my, one night comeing home from work my check engine light kick on, so i had it checked out and what was discoved that it was a bad EGR valve, witch was cusing exhaust to go into one of my cilenders, witch was causeing misfire and killing it self. So they tryed a home repair and it didnt work, and i had to take it back in and it was fixed for 150 dollers, and its runing way better for the moment.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
Venger10
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97 avenger es

Quote:
Originally posted by Avenge
hello everyone I purchased a 97 dodge avenger es in june of last year with 48.000 miles on it, and I am allready haveing problems with it. First of all the secerty system that was installed was a aftermarket p.o.s. and witch was not dodge's falt, so currently Im just lock and key, both lower control arms/ball joints have went bad, and if i didnt replaced these it would be a horrible noise , that you could hear from a block away, now my current problem is that it would die at every stop I make, I put new spark plugs in it, witch cured the problem for about a week, but now its currently back to its oldways of dieing on me. Does anyone have any clues/tips what it could beż? Im thinking its a sensor, buts thats a willd guess

p.s. I know that the typeing is not the greatest and im sorry, if you need any clearfication just post it and ill help you out Thanks
Hi, you might want to check with your local Dodge dealer about the ball joints, there was a factory recall on them about a year and a half ago, and I got mine replaced for free. The other stuff I can't help you on, all I can say is that I have a '95 Dodge Avenger and it has 130,000 miles on it and the bitch is still kickin'. I never had any serious problems with it. :flash: :flash:
Venger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
Avenge
AF Newbie

damn it, i never knew of the recall, cuz about 55,000 miles one would be doing a horrible sweaking noise, got it fixed, then other side did and got that fixed so about 300 bucks total.

my current situation is with the fog lights, i put aftermarket blue ones in and it blew the 15A and even 30A, so im going to investigate 2marow and c whats up.

can someone where the 4,200 lbs is comeing from on these cars??
Old 04-05-2003, 10:30 AM   #8
Avenge
AF Newbie

well i wont be posting about my avenger anymore or maybe, dont know yet, got in the middle of a 5 car pile up, and the whole back end needs to be replaced, runing fine, buts it is nearly 5 grand worth of damnage on it. So just gonna have to wait and see.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #9
merideth73
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

I've had my Avenger since I bought her brand new in 1997. The only major repair I've had to do I'm doing right now (10-10-03), which is doing a top-end rebuild (figure may as well do it all if I'm gonna tear her down to the headgasket anyway to do the valve job) because I've got a valve going senile on me, causing me tons of grief. 106,000+ miles on her, I wasn't surprised .. Otherwise she's been a gem to drive .. can't wait to save up some funds and put some performance parts in her. I love the gas mileage, but I like a little more power.
merideth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #10
snowlass71
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to snowlass71 Send a message via Yahoo to snowlass71
Re: 97 avenger es

the answer to your dilemma is have the distributor checked. i had the same problem and changing that fixed it. just beware it is $700.00 brand new and $500.00 rebuilt. Also, if your driving down the road and your car quits check the hood, my battery terminal was rubbing the hood. as you can see i have had several problems with my avenger too...everything from the distributor to bent rims. good luck. heather
snowlass71 is offline   Reply With Quote