Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
TrvlynAlec
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TrvlynAlec
Best Acura/Honda Car

Ok. I dont know whether or not this is the best place to post, but alot of hardcore honda junkies are here. So, now to my question. What is the best engine that honda/acura makes and in what car? i want a DOHC for sure, not SOHC. I also want to mod the car without having to bulletproof the engine. So, I want something that can handle 250HP-300HP on stock internals. I was thinking ITR, GSR, or maybe a Civic SI? But I dont know what the engines can handle. Please help me on this one...
TrvlynAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
250-300 hp. you want that at the wheels or at the crank? if you are lookin at crank hp. no prob any dohc shouldn't have a problem acheiving it. if you want it at the wheels, you aren't looking at long term reliability if you dont do some internal work. i've got a SOHC D16y8. I plan on turbo'ing the motor. im gonna put the kit on the stock motor and run low boost. pick up a spare block and work it over build the valvetrain and internals. then im gonna boost it to the sky and blow away some big dogs. if you want big numbers out of these small displacement engines, you got to go fi. mainly turbo. the supercharger camp is coming up strong with the newer generation units but i still like the tunability of the turbo. i guess im kinda off subject here. you really should outline your goals, what type of power adder you are going to use, nitrous, supercharger, turbo. etc. different motors respond differently to these things. give us an outline of what you want, and what your budget is. are you going to do a hybrid swap, want to buy a gsr or prelude, or si???

I'd rather be hated for Who I Am than be loved for Who I Am Not
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:53 PM   #3
TrvlynAlec
AF Regular

Basically, I want to buy a honda that already has a good engine to work with. I dont really want to drop in a new one/different engine. At first, I will do basic mods(CAI, Headers, Cat-back, etc.) Then, later I plan on doing some turbo work(bulletproofing will probably occur at this time also, if needed). The ITR, GSR, and Si all have b16(i think) engines. And from what i read and hear, those are the best honda engines out there. But I am not sure what cars have these engines in them, and what kind of horsepower each can hold on stock internals. As for the crank HP vs. wheel HP...(when you look lets say a civic si(and other cars at dealers) and it says it has 160HP is that the crank?) If so, then I am looking for crank HP. Also if a car has 300 wheel HP, about how much HP is at the crank? I hope this helps with the outline of what kind of car i want.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
a 300whp fwd honda should have about 360-400 hp at the crank. if you want easy horsepower, a well tuned B20Z should do the trick.
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:53 PM   #5
luti
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to luti
Old Si's have B16A's <= 1999-2000
New Si's have K20's I belive (correct me please?)
GSR's have B18C1's
ITR's have B18C5's

By the way, if your going FI then you want a car with lower compression, B16A or K20 (??) or B20. The B20 is probably your best bet, torque, and low compression, and a VTEC head can easily be added, but unfortuanetly unless you do a motor swap your stuck driving those damn CRV's...
Old 07-03-2002, 12:26 AM   #6
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by luti

By the way, if your going FI then you want a car with lower compression, B16A or K20 (??) or B20. The B20 is probably your best bet, torque, and low compression, and a VTEC head can easily be added, but unfortuanetly unless you do a motor swap your stuck driving those damn CRV's...
B20B has the lower compression. the B20Z has the 9.6:1 compression. having a lower compression means you can boost more, but it won't gain more power as a higher compression engine. u can boost 13psi on a B18B2 engine and you would have the same gain as a B18C1 with 10psi. its called the static compression, which is the overall giver of how much power you will make. the effectiveness of a compression ratio tells how effective the engine is produces power with the given variable.

B20Z with 6psi:
6psi/14.7psi=.408
.408+1=1.408
1.408(9.6 CR)=13.5 of effective compression ratio.

B20B with 8si:
8pi/14.7psi=.544
.544+1=1.544
1.544(8.5 CR)=13.12 of effective compression ratio.

as you can see, a B20Z with 6psi will gain more power than a B20B with 8psi. it would take 9psi for the B20B engine to BARELY edge out the B20Z in power gain.

just like in N/A cars, you gain more power when you have higher compression pistons. just think of the high compression piston putting out 10cfm of air, and the low compression piston putting out 5cfm. if you add a 10cfm turbo to the high compression piston, you would total it out to be 20cfm. now to get the 5cfm to 20cfm, you would have to add a 15cfm turbo just to gain as much as the high compression piston.
lower compression gives you more headroom in making error (detonation), but higher compression gives you more headroom in gaining power.

if you're going to add VTEC to a non-vtec engine, i HIGHLY suggest you get someone that knows how to do it RIGHT. the low rod to stroke ratio is horrible on the B20 engine. a perfect r/s would be 1.75, where the B20 is in the 1.50 range. honda claims their best engine ever produced was the B16, considering it had the r/s ratio of 1.74. adding VTEC to the B20 block will increase the slide loading on the cylinder walls and the pressure will be on the rod's weakest area, the middle of the rod. even with the strongest rod available to the B20 engine, it will be bound to snap in half if you can't tune the engine right.

sorry if this post is long..just want to get things out of the way.
:smoker:
Old 07-05-2002, 10:11 PM   #7
rockerdude
AF Enthusiast

building a 300HP honda FF won't be that easy. You will have to upgrade the internal with top of the line products so in the end your engine life will last longer. A ITR is not meant for turbo so you can eliminate that engine which is the best integra engine. A GSR is the best turbo setup. Remember, you're fixing up a honda which came with no turbo stock and is a FF. Chances are risky putting in turbo with out the right mechanic helping you.
rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
markpa
AF Fanatic

Ive got one thing to say u want a car with a ton of potential and horespower Supra Baby.. I know it aint a honda or acura, but hey its still an import.
markpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:42 PM   #9
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rockerdude
building a 300HP honda FF won't be that easy.
its not THAT hard.

Quote:
You will have to upgrade the internal with top of the line products so in the end your engine life will last longer.
true.

Quote:
A ITR is not meant for turbo so you can eliminate that engine which is the best integra engine.
no honda motor is meant for for force induction.

Quote:
A GSR is the best turbo setup.
not the best, but maybe cheaper than the B18C5 engine.

Quote:
Remember, you're fixing up a honda which came with no turbo stock and is a FF. Chances are risky putting in turbo with out the right mechanic helping you.
highly agreed
Old 07-06-2002, 09:22 PM   #10
TrvlynAlec
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by markpa
Ive got one thing to say u want a car with a ton of potential and horespower Supra Baby.. I know it aint a honda or acura, but hey its still an import.
I know..I love the Toyota Supra..but I cant afford one
Old 07-06-2002, 11:06 PM   #11
colechaney
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to colechaney
I love Supra's, unfortunatly they cost too much. Since Fast and the Furious came out people who didn't know about em wanted em, and the people who had realized they could sell em for more. That movie was the single greatest marketing scheme proble ever. To this day people still refer to Nitrous as "NOS". It's kind of like "Rollerblades" and "Kleenex" now.