Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #1
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Ferrari Mythos Build (with pics!)

Ok ok, I know snowboarder already did one, what can I say, I follow in his foosteps.. :right:

My Tamiya Ferrari Mythos kit, been working on it for about a month off and on. So far I got the body painted with Model Master's Italian Red spray paint, and am done the engine. The paint on the body suffers from orange peel though I will be using Micromarks polishing kit on the body, I'll post progress pics!!

Here are some pics:
Body shot

'Nother shot o the body

Shot of the engine

Here's what I'm talking about when I saw texture (WARNING BIG BIG BIG!!!)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kaiyao1/Picture 014.jpg
daggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 06:32 AM   #2
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Hit a bit of a roadblock

Instructions say for my rims to be painted like this:

a two-tone color of chrome and silver. The main part of the rim needs to be painted silver, and the outer rim is chrome.

My biggest problem is now is masking the rims, I need to make perfect circles on all four or it'll look all messed up, and it needs to look the same for each rim

What do you think I should do??
Old 03-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Is it close to the size of any common coins?
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

nope can't even fit a dime around it
Old 03-07-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

lookin fantastic so far! i just left the rims chrome. i thought it sorta cheapened the look by doing two tone wheels, but thats just me. do what you gotta do man.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:47 AM   #6
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

>_< haven't been able to work on the Mythos in a while, been pretty busy

the rims are easier to mask than they look, upon closer inspection, I dunno if I'll make them silver or not, I'll decide when everything else is done

snowboarder, did you tint the windshield like the instructions said?
Old 03-09-2002, 12:33 PM   #7
Tom_S8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tom_S8
Sorry for getting the thread OT , but snowboarder do you know you have my friend's M5 in the signature? The one in the middle is on polish plates , its a guy that i know myself , he's from Sosnowiec in Poland...
Tom_S8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #8
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Looking good so far......let us know how you get on with the wheels and how you done them

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

These are times that test modeler's patience...

Today I went over the entire Mythos body with the 3200 grit pad. It's a 2x2 inch flexible pad. Well, I knew beforehand to watch out for sharp edges and raised areas, but I didn't know that with just one or two passes from the sanding cloth that the paint would be removed. The entire body is sanded to a smooth, flat pink-salmon red, but some sharp edges have taken an abuse from the cloth. I gotta respray those areas sometime in the future..

Here are some pics. First one is with the flash, rest are without.

Old 03-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #10
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Are you using spray cans? If so, go outside and spray some of your red paint into a film container lid or something equally disposable, and brush it on over the sanded-thru spots. The paint will be thin, but if you can get it to cover with color evenly, you can polish it back smooth...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:42 PM   #11
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Are you using spray cans? If so, go outside and spray some of your red paint into a film container lid or something equally disposable, and brush it on over the sanded-thru spots. The paint will be thin, but if you can get it to cover with color evenly, you can polish it back smooth...
Hmm, never thought of that! I painted it with a Testors Model Masters Italian Red spray can, I ran out but I'll buy one this week and try it out.

My original plan was to get the Model Masters Brush-on Italian Red and using an airbrush to brush it on. Brush-painting from the jar gives you a different shade of color, even though it is technically the same paint, as I found out when trying to do touchup work on my Subaru WRX... I was thinking that when airbrushed the color would be lighter, closer to the spray can.

Old 03-10-2002, 11:02 PM   #12
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

all i did with the window was paint the black around the outside

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_S8
Sorry for getting the thread OT , but snowboarder do you know you have my friend's M5 in the signature? The one in the middle is on polish plates , its a guy that i know myself , he's from Sosnowiec in Poland...
i got it from bmwm5.com, which i noticed today that you visit, too bad that my account hasn't been activated or else i would post. does he not want me to use the picture in my sig?
Old 03-11-2002, 03:43 AM   #13
Tom_S8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tom_S8
Quote:
Originally posted by snowboarder
all i did with the window was paint the black around the outside

i got it from bmwm5.com, which i noticed today that you visit, too bad that my account hasn't been activated or else i would post. does he not want me to use the picture in my sig?
No , it's not that he doesn't want it , he probably doesn't even know, but it's funny that from all those nice M5s , and there are some very nice like Harry's (nick on m5.com-Angel) or like Lupo///M5 , Adrian (Stallion) etc. and you chose the only one M5 from there that is from Poland...
Tom_S8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 04:18 PM   #14
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

is there any way you could talk to gustav and get my account activated, he hasn't responded to any of my emails

back on topic, how many coats have you got on now, it looks great. too bad that the color its molded in is a crappy shade of red.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:51 PM   #15
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Hmm not so happy

Since I'm waiting for some touchup paint on the main body to cure I went ahead and took the engine cover through the entire polishing process of the Micromark kit. The instructions said that by 6000 grit you should see some of the shine returning, but when I reached 12000 grit the surface was still dull, and there were still plenty of sanding scracthes on the surface.

Maybe I wasn't sanding long enough/hard enough, I don't know, but disappointing results.

I then decided to try the Scratch Remover they included with it, this was more to my liking, it restoryed the original shiny gloss to it, but it has a bit of a haze to it, kind of like a reflection in a pool of water that's been disturbed. I also used the Polishing wax on it, this didn't seem to help that much. You can still see the scratches from the sanding

Side note, the engine cover is smooth as a baby's bottom from the sanding

I guess I'll try once more on the wing, and if that doesn't work then I will just spray the whole thing with Future clear coat, which seems to work for me (and is cheaper to buff with 2000 grit paper and Future than to buy a 7.50 polishing kit for each model)

The scratch remover works pretty well I guess, and I'll keep the wax to buff the Future up in my future models