Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
ScaleCentral
AF Regular

Model Factory Hiro Porsche 962 Review (lots of pics)

I guess I'll be the first to post pics. This will be more of a photo essay than typing, but as always with their kits a pic is worth a thousand words. All of the kits have the same contents except the two tail pieces. The Shell and Repsol have the thicker and slightly longer tail, while the Repsol, Rothmans, and Kenwood have the thinner and slightly shorter tail. All of the little pieces are the same. There are some compromises because of the years this kit covers. I will post those below with the pics. Be patient with the pics as there are 39.

This the mask set for the Shell version. You have to cut them yourself. I think Scale Race Cars will be doing a better set soon.

The decals... they are great, you only have to paint the red and yellow. The Rothmans cars came with "Racing" decals but again there will be updates coming.

Vacuum formed glass and metal rods and tubes

The springs are disappointing as they aren't as accurate or as good as the ones in the SMS kit. Someone needs to offer some of the variable rate springs.

Kit comes with a complete seatbelt set and some but not all of the wiring and plumbing.

It's hard to tell but the large black tubing has a braided texture to it.

Clear lenses and tanks

Tires... nice slicks, if they do a short tail I would love to see the wet treaded version

Machined rims... the centers are either white metal six spokers or photoetch BBS

Machined goodies including a set of nice screw on centers although it is inaccurate

Rear of the Shell version

The remaining body pieces are housed in this nifty little container. Most of the new kits are like this.

What's in the nifty little tub.

You can see three compromises in this photo. The first is that they have scribed all of the panel options. Not all are the same, you will have to fill at least one line on most. The second is the rear. Not all of the cars had the same rear underassembly. The third is that the exhaust opening was made for both types.

Two sheets of PE, some more options than SMS, but in some ways less.

Finally, just lots of pics of the metal bits. The only complaint on these that I have is that the air intakes should not have a cross over on some of the cars.

Overall a great kit and well worth the money. Some of my pieces were slightly bent, but since it's metal, it can easily be fixed. If you can't see the pics, use the link below.

http://public.fotki.com/scalecentral...actory_hiro-5/

Nic
ScaleCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12
Re: Model Factory Hiro Porsche 962 Review (lots of pics)

i love MFH,i love it!!!!!but i can't afford at the moment lol!!!!every kit made by MFH are masterpieces!
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
ScaleCentral
AF Regular

I have well over a dozen of their kits with two more on the way (the Maserati and 512S Spyder). They are all great. I unfortunately just have to save them for later as I don't have the space or time to build them at the moment. I am though getting a house early next year possibly as well as a new job so I should have both then.
Nic
ScaleCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

man thats a lot of parts!

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

It is a lovely looking kit, and I like the size of some of those mounting pins and tabs that I see (white metal, aftermarket, and good fit rarely ever seem to fall in the same sentence).

However, now I need to see how well it can be combined with either the M&S or Perry's Resin IMSA Fabcar/Holbert 962C transkits so that a really worthwhile 962 can be built.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

always a great thing to see a 962.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling