Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
Maxxcrazy
AF Newbie

Help with restoration!

Hi, I have a 1965 C-10. I've been wanted to restore it for a while but never got around to it. Its a short, stepside bed. It's going to get a bored 327 with a 350 cam. I do have a donor 65 C-10 long bed

I was wondering, how should I get the paint off and repair rust? Sanding would be an option for removing paint. But it would take way too long. Any other quicker ways that you guys would do? I know i would use patch panels to repair rust. What thickness steel should I use? The rust is right near the mirrors on the door.

Chassis, is there any restoration needed to old chassis's? Mine seems strong, no holes or anything. So does the rear axle and IFS.

Springs and shocks-Would it be wise to get all new springs and shocks? the shocks look like early 90's models.

And what is a good website to find parts that are missing?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can answer these
Maxxcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
Net
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Net
I'd take it and get it sand or bead blasted. Shop around, some people are much more expensive, but do a worse job. Talk to a couple of car clubs, etc, or go in to a couple of blasting shops and look at their work in progress. Blasting also gets rid of some of the old bog in the panels too.
For patch panels, try to use the same thickness steel as for the rest of the body. An easy way to find out is to take off a tail light or similar, and just have a look.
The only resto I think you would want to do to a chassis is getting it blasted or sanded, then painting it. Black is normal, but a colour to complement the new body colour usually looks pretty schmick, and shows people that you've put in a lot of effort into the resto, not just bunged it together. Powder coating looks good too.
New springs and shocks, replace if they need to be, or need to be soon. Or, if you are doing all new stuff like that and can afford it, do it, or upgrade them to handle better, depending on what you want it to do.
Not sure on exact websites that would have your required bits, but do a couple of searches, on yahoo or wherever. Use keywords like truck wrecker, c10, stepsides.
Good Luck
Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Maxxcrazy
AF Newbie

Thanks

I want to do a taillight conservation. Probibly a Caddilac Eldorado. Any idea where I can buy these lights?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Net
AF Newbie

Smile

Eeek, Eldorado Lights?
Sorry, I can't remember off hand right now the shape differences between c10 and eldorodo lights (I'm in Australia).
Umm, you could probably get them from a wrecker. I'm assuming you're in the US, so I don't know if you have any companies over there that make new non-genuine parts, such as lenses and surrounds, but Ill assume you do. Those places are good, just bear in mind that aftermarket bits don't always fit in exactly the same way as originals. Just suggesting aftermkt bits, because they are usually much cheaper, but look the same.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
Maxxcrazy
AF Newbie

Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Net
AF Newbie

Smile

Thanks. I think the latest ED I've seen here that I can remember was a 1982 model.
I still think a wrecker, or buy them new from Cadillac, like at a dealership.
To make them fit, you may want to become handy with some fibreglass to custom shape where they're going, or get a custom metal worker to do it for you out of steel.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
Maxxcrazy
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'm going to start working on it tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Net
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

That's okay. Hope its been helpful.
Let us know how you go with it. It sounds like a really good project.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars