Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #106
hufhouse
AF Regular

Re: INTAKE GASKET MAIN PAGE, PLEASE POST Q'S&A'S HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lolo
I think I might puss out on this repair, I think I could do it but I dont have a heated garage and this is feb. in Iowa , and Im just not confedent enough for the electrical computer crap
Ive got an 85 monte carlo that I dont hesitate to tear it down to nothing and back. the new stuff is a little scary to me
I did this in an unheated garage in Northeast Ohio in February, and if I can do it, just about anybody can do it. Prior to this repair, changing brakes would have been a big deal for me.

If you can use basic tools, you can do this.

There really isn't any electrical computer stuff to worry about. Just plug everything back in the way you found it. The hardest part is making sure that the fuel injectors get plugged back in right, and if you label those you can't mess it up. (That last sentence would have scared me to death two weeks ago, but, trust me, it's not a big deal.)

Just label everything as you take it apart. I started at "A" and ended up at "N" with the electrical connections. My fuel injector connections still had the factory labels. The only thing I would do differently is take a few good pictures before you start, just to know for sure that you've routed all of the electrical correctly when you are done. But, I didn't do that and everything still looks neat and runs well.

I tallied it up the other day, and it took me about 20 hours. Keep in mind that I also changed plugs and wires, flushed and filled the coolant, changed the transmission fluid and filter, changed belt and hoses, PCV valve, etc. etc. I also wasted about an hour trying to figure out how to remove the alternator (mine was different than the Haynes Manual) and about an hour trying to find two bolts that dropped and didn't hit the floor. (One of the most sickening sounds you can imagine.)

Can you borrow a friend's garage for a weekend?

This is just such a do-it-yourself type of repair. No great expertise needed and the parts are relatively cheap. Just take your time and be patient.

I'm telling you...when you're done and it starts up, you'll feel like a million bucks.
hufhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #107
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufhouse
There really isn't any electrical computer stuff to worry about. Just plug everything back in the way you found it. The hardest part is making sure that the fuel injectors get plugged back in right, and if you label those you can't mess it up. (That last sentence would have scared me to death two weeks ago, but, trust me, it's not a big deal.)
All sensor wires and the majority of other connectors are "keyed" in such a way that they will only fit in one sensor location. Labeling them can help speed it up, but it's not a requirement. As to the injectors, my wiring harness had the injector numbers printed on each connector. It was also pretty obvious which connector when to which injector just based on how the wire was bent.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #108
85lolo
AF Newbie

well the shop Ive used for years said they have time tomorrow, also said they do 2 to 3 of those jobs on GM minivans per week!
the cost is $400, and they use the new improved gasket, so I thought what the hell let them do it
85lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #109
srlbotanical
AF Newbie

OK, So how do I know its the intake gasket? I am noticing small amounts of coolant on the garage floor after the van has warmed up and I just had to add coolant because of the low coolant light. I just changed the oil and did not notice anything out of the ordinary in the oil.

2000 Venture with about 95K...

What do I look for next? I am totally comfortable replacing the IG myself, but I need to confirm that its bad.

Thanks,

Steve
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #110
dj1111
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical
OK, So how do I know its the intake gasket?
Check the water pump. That seems to be another common problem. It happened with my van. I thought it was the gasket as well until I got under the hood with a mirror and found the source was the water pump. Very inexpensive and easy to replace.
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #111
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical
What do I look for next? I am totally comfortable replacing the IG myself, but I need to confirm that its bad.
The only way to tell if it is leaking internally with 100% accruacy is to have it analyzed. [url=http://www.blackstone-labs.com/] will look at your oil for about $20 and give you your results within about 24 hours of receiving it. I've used them before because they are local to me and others have as well. You might check around to see if there is one local to you if you need results sooner.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #112
srlbotanical
AF Newbie

Thanks you guys, I put the van up on jacks last night and took a good look around with a flashlight and mirror. I am 90% sure its my intake gasket. I can see fluid weeping slowly from both sides of the intake gasket area. It leaks slow enough that I think most of it burns off...

Steve
Old 03-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #113
4432flying
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4432flying
Can high oil consumption be caused by a bad intake manifold gasket in a 2000 venture? High oil consumption started 6 months ago and now I am loosing a lot of coolant. I worked at a Ford dealership in the 60s and the small v/8 could really suck a lot of oil through a bad intake gasket. I have replaced many of them, but I am to old to tackle this project.
Replacing the intake manifold gaskets solved the high oil consumption problem and the coolant loss problem.
4432flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #114
promoguy
AF Newbie

I've never repaired anything on my car other than the air filter. Now my intake gasket is leaking red coolant.

The dealer wants $735 for labor and $200 for parts (ballpark)!

Folks, my 98 Venture is worth only about $2,500 Blue Book.

And I didn't mention the break work I found out I need - totaling about $800 p&l.

How much do you have to know about cars to do this intake gasket repair yourself?

Maybe I should cut my losses and sell it fast.
promoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #115
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Promoguy, go see this thread.

Huney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #116
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

For promoguy and 4432flying.

IMO, you should fill out the form and participate in the class action law suit this attorney is putting together. http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html Heck, anyone who has ever had a head gasket or intake gasket problem or cooling system problem of any kind while using dex cool should participate.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #117
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Promoguy and 4423flying, HEADS UP!

Bleepster says he has a TSB for the manifold gasket replacement, see the thread here: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=537465

As you can see in my reply, I asked him to give us the TSB number so we'll hold our hat and hope he does.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #118
srlbotanical
AF Newbie

I requested TSB 03-06-01-010 on one of the other forums I visit and a GM-Tec posted it. Follow this link for the TSB...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...T&f=81&t=50614

I plan to tackle this job when it gets a little warmer. But I will do it myself. I am also going to change the plugs, wires and relevant other gaskets...

Steve
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #119
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by promoguy
How much do you have to know about cars to do this intake gasket repair yourself?
It requires more then doing a break job, but it's not an engine rebuild either. On a scale of 1-10, I'd put it a 6 or 7.

And the "official" TSB can be found here. I'm sure it's already posted in this thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to go back and find which page it was.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #120
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

LOL! The independent garage that did mine said they have done as many as FOUR IN ONE WEEK and he keeps two sets of parts on the shelf. Said usually takes five to six hours but two of them did one in four hours. I reckon it's all a matter of practice making perfect and you do it often enough it becomes a piece of cake. BTW, mine hasn't leaked a drop and the temp gauge stays in one place rather than constantly moving up & down like it did before they fixed the leakey gasket.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture