Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 07:04 PM   #1
Mylacc
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Mylacc Send a message via AIM to Mylacc
Any particular reason to buy a 4 banger?

all these 4 cylinder cars. Integras, Civics, Celicas, Preludes, Eclipse...

is there anything these things have over real sports cars?

300zx, Supra, RX-7, 3000GT?

Other then pure lack of $$$ to buy/insure/mod the better car is there any reason to get the 4 bangers?

Oh and as far as the 2 seater sports car hatchback (non 2+2 thing) do they have room behind the seats? ive heard of people getting 4 people fairly comfortablely (room wise) sitting on the floor behind the 2 original seats...but all the ones i have seen have some kind of obstructure derectly behind the seats..

reason im into race bikes and now im getting my first car (here in ma a permit is like a liscense for bikes so you can drive one from 16 whereas a car you gotta be 16

if you got any other general info on helping me buy my first car to get into the "scene" pleast feel free to contact me or post it

Thanks.
Mylacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 07:13 PM   #2
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
Thumbs up

Besides the money . . . there really is NO reason to buy a 4cyl over an actual sports car.

Unless you actually happened to cbe concerned with fuel economy . . . which basically comes down to money . . .

Money is the only reason as far as I'm concerned.

That's a lie though. There's plenty more to it . . . there's the passion involved in buying a car and building it to your taste . . . making your own sports car out of something other than a true sports car.

Then again, if you had the right amount of money you could buy a true sports car, and build it up quite a bit . . . with the same passion involved in building a less expensive car . . .

So it still comes down to money . . . unless someone disagrees with me (??)
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 07:24 PM   #3
G-Forces
Banned

If you can afford the car and the insurance there's really no reason to get a non-sports car 4 banger. I say non-sports car because the EVO VIIx, STi WRX and S15 when they come to North America will be pretty kick ass!

Don't forget the Elise and Super 7's are 4 bangers and they kick some ass too.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 07:30 PM   #4
Mylacc
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Mylacc Send a message via AIM to Mylacc
another thing

as i said i dont know alot about sports cars
but im not exactly mr. moneybags saving all i can i got about 11,000 cash

another thing i read is a bigger engine responds better to moding then a smaller one
you get more added HP for each mod on a 6 cylinder then a 4...
at least thats what i read..

I like the RX-7 the best and its nearly the cheapest. how much of a reliablility issue is there to this vehicle?

and im still really hoping for a response to the hatchback back space thing
cause this would also be my daily commuter so i would like to able to fit some people and have a comfotable ride if possible.
thats why cars such as the Acura CL 3.0 and Maxima SE appeal to me cause there argued to be at least fast enough to make a appearence on the tracks and stuff which is fin for me if its a good commuter and i can fit 4-5 people...problem comes down to money..id love a real sports car but i need to make sure this has at least a hunt of practicality in it.
i cant buy a 2 seater with no space (max 2 people) that costs a ton on insurance sucks on gas and has reliability issues (rx-7) on top of it

perfect car obviously would be something like a skyline or BMW M3
one of those 5 seating people luxury cars (not sure bout skyline but thats the impression i get from pictures that it has ample room as well)
and hauls ass on top of it
but at like 18,000 for a god damn 95'! ill get 2...
Mylacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 03:55 PM   #5
mmcc
AF Regular

Re: another thing

Quote:
Originally posted by Mylacc

another thing i read is a bigger engine responds better to moding then a smaller one

I like the RX-7 the best and its nearly the cheapest. how much of a reliablility issue is there to this vehicle?
i would have to say that most 6 cylinder cars have bigger displacement (eg CC rating) thats why each mod gives more horsepower. Mitsubishi Evolutions are 4 cylinder and are pretty damn fast. So are Subaru Impreza WRX STi. I am not in the USA, so i wouldn't konw what you get there. Turbo makes a HUGE difference!

Mazda RX-7's are Rotary's. In my opinion they are costly to maintain with the tips of the rotary's gettting blunt (from what i heard, correct me if i am wrong).
mmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 04:09 PM   #6
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I'll mention another I4 sports car: the Honda S2000. (Yes, I know the torque numbers... )

Oh, and my wife says when she was a kid, her mom had a 1st gen RX-7, and she always had to lay down in the back. :hehehe:

For the RX-7, I'd suggest asking some questions over in the RX-7 forum. Rotary engines are clearly a very different animal than piston engines. There is a lot of (mis)information about care, maintenance and repair for these cars, and I'd really want to talk to a lot of RX-7 owners before buying one...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 03:35 AM   #7
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Re: Any particular reason to buy a 4 banger?

Quote:
all these 4 cylinder cars. Integras, Civics, Celicas, Preludes, Eclipse...

is there anything these things have over real sports cars?

300zx, Supra, RX-7, 3000GT?

Other then pure lack of $$$ to buy/insure/mod the better car is there any reason to get the 4 bangers?

Oh and as far as the 2 seater sports car hatchback (non 2+2 thing) do they have room behind the seats? ive heard of people getting 4 people fairly comfortablely (room wise) sitting on the floor behind the 2 original seats...but all the ones i have seen have some kind of obstructure derectly behind the seats..

reason im into race bikes and now im getting my first car (here in ma a permit is like a liscense for bikes so you can drive one from 16 whereas a car you gotta be 16

if you got any other general info on helping me buy my first car to get into the "scene" pleast feel free to contact me or post it

Thanks.
No particular reasons but just personal taste I think. I didn't like sitting in the back of a Supra. I had to extend my leg across the seat to fit in. Anyways RX-7 has some room behind the seats but I wouldn't say it's comfortable.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 03:42 AM   #8
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by i_rebel
Besides the money . . . there really is NO reason to buy a 4cyl over an actual sports car.

Unless you actually happened to cbe concerned with fuel economy . . . which basically comes down to money . . .

Money is the only reason as far as I'm concerned.

That's a lie though. There's plenty more to it . . . there's the passion involved in buying a car and building it to your taste . . . making your own sports car out of something other than a true sports car.

Then again, if you had the right amount of money you could buy a true sports car, and build it up quite a bit . . . with the same passion involved in building a less expensive car . . .

So it still comes down to money . . . unless someone disagrees with me (??)
Having a 4 cylinder doesn't mean better fuel economy. That has a lot more to do with gearing.

Z06 405hp and V8 19 / 28
S2000 240hp and I4 - 20/ 26
Old 12-02-2001, 03:45 AM   #9
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by G-Forces
If you can afford the car and the insurance there's really no reason to get a non-sports car 4 banger. I say non-sports car because the EVO VIIx, STi WRX and S15 when they come to North America will be pretty kick ass!

Don't forget the Elise and Super 7's are 4 bangers and they kick some ass too.
Evo7 and STi will cost an arm and leg 35K+ USD pricing. S15 isn't coming at all.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:48 AM   #10
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Re: another thing

Quote:
as i said i dont know alot about sports cars
but im not exactly mr. moneybags saving all i can i got about 11,000 cash

and im still really hoping for a response to the hatchback back space thing
cause this would also be my daily commuter so i would like to able to fit some people and have a comfotable ride if possible.
thats why cars such as the Acura CL 3.0 and Maxima SE appeal to me cause there argued to be at least fast enough to make a appearence on the tracks and stuff which is fin for me if its a good commuter and i can fit 4-5 people...problem comes down to money..id love a real sports car but i need to make sure this has at least a hunt of practicality in it.
i cant buy a 2 seater with no space (max 2 people) that costs a ton on insurance sucks on gas and has reliability issues (rx-7) on top of it

perfect car obviously would be something like a skyline or BMW M3
one of those 5 seating people luxury cars (not sure bout skyline but thats the impression i get from pictures that it has ample room as well)
and hauls ass on top of it
but at like 18,000 for a god damn 95'! ill get 2...
You have more cubic inch to work that's why there is more gain.

RX-7 is the best if you can find one without problem. I have seen far too many RX-7 owner that dump more money into repair than the original purchase price.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:50 AM   #11
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jay@af
I'll mention another I4 sports car: the Honda S2000. (Yes, I know the torque numbers... )

Oh, and my wife says when she was a kid, her mom had a 1st gen RX-7, and she always had to lay down in the back. :hehehe:

For the RX-7, I'd suggest asking some questions over in the RX-7 forum. Rotary engines are clearly a very different animal than piston engines. There is a lot of (mis)information about care, maintenance and repair for these cars, and I'd really want to talk to a lot of RX-7 owners before buying one...
Rotary are clever designs marvels. However they eat gas like crazy. The turbo on RX-7 also give off far too much heat for the car to take over long period of time.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:05 AM   #12
AEstud
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to AEstud Send a message via AIM to AEstud
everything is about money....
AEstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:38 AM   #13
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C

Evo7 and STi will cost an arm and leg 35K+ USD pricing. S15 isn't coming at all.
Well I guess you're the be all and end all of manufacture knowledge. Which magazine did you read that in. I like how you act as the authority on all things automotive. You have not idea what Nissan might do. They probably have a couple S15's in NA right now at the Nissan proving grounds. You also know Motorex will probably end up importing the S15 sometime in the future.

As for the STi and EVO being an arm and a leg there was never a price point to his question. He never considered a 4 banger could be a sports car. I just pointed out that it could.

Be careful with your guru attitude and not everything you read in magazines is true.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:42 AM   #14
G-Forces
Banned

Re: Re: another thing

Quote:

You have more cubic inch to work that's why there is more gain.

RX-7 is the best if you can find one without problem. I have seen far too many RX-7 owner that dump more money into repair than the original purchase price.
If the larger V8 motors were built to the tolerance that some of the performance 4 cylinders were built to they would be much more expensive. When you tune a larger motor like older mustang motors you're basically improving the effiencey. The SR20DE and B16, etc all are tuned to very tight tolerances so you get less gains with n/a bolt-ons.

Most people don't now how to take care of the rotory in the RX-7. The non-turbo rotorys were practically indestructible. However when you start boosting the apex seals are very easy to blow. In fact one lean condition and you'll need a rebuild. Mazda should have spent more time on cooling. That's why any good tuner will always recommend cooling upgrades as the firsts mods you do.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:45 AM   #15
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:

Rotary are clever designs marvels. However they eat gas like crazy. The turbo on RX-7 also give off far too much heat for the car to take over long period of time.
Mazdas new rotory design with the side port (i think it is) design will be more fuel efficent and make more power. In fact it won't need a turbo to get the same output as the old twin turbo'd 13B.

Anyway sorry for getting off topic.