Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #1
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
which motor...?!?

ok...i've been tossing around a few different ideas.....and i would like the opinions of the entelligent ones surfing around this board...:finger: actually i'd prefer people with experience on the different swaps to chime in..any input would be good though...now on to business

I am trying to decide what to do motor wise here are the options i've chose

Build and Turbo my D16Y8....(a fresher one...cam and turbo...)
B20B Turbo (not crvtec)
H22A (i dont want to hear the oversteer and screwed up handling crap unless you have experienced it. I'm lookin for real world experience on this one, not myths)
or B18B (ls)
i've thought about the GSR but its gonna be 4500 for the whole swap and well, its still an option

If i go B20 i'll back it with a GSR tranny, i like the short gear ratio (anyone know the gas milage on the crv?)

D16....kinda like the thought of an SOHC keepin up with v8's and outrunnin dohc's

H22A what more can you say. big numbers right out of the box....custom turbo kit and fabrication.....you got a monster. (no a/c.. in texas.....HOT)

B18C I rode in a GSR hatch......we beat a 5.0 mustang that is pretty quick. sure the hatch has the weight on me but....a 5.0

i'm going turbo on what ever i get. except maybe the H22 it would be a pretty nast NA monster too........

so lets hear what you have to say!!!

I'd rather be hated for Who I Am than be loved for Who I Am Not
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

oh a couple more things.....i'm looking at a cap of like 5000 to start with... to get a motor or turbo in about a year. If i swap in the GSR or H22 further mods will be down the road...those are numbers out of the box that draw me to them...and an H22 civic...not many of those in my area....

and i have stereo equipment in the trunk which would just about counteract the added weight of the H22 along with the removal of the a/c compressor and lines...

Old 06-09-2002, 04:50 AM   #3
kane2g
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to kane2g
the whole h22 is only 100Lbs heavier than b18. So i wouldnt worry about the myths of that motor. That would give you the most power for the least $$.
My other recomendation would be a B20Turbo. It would be easier to swap in the car than H22, due to the fact that you use OEM stuff vs gonig w/ aftermarket mounts. If you dont mind that by all means go w/H22.
just my 2 cents
Old 06-09-2002, 06:44 PM   #4
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

so far i'm leaning towards the b20. i can pick up the motor for 800. put pistons and rods in it for another 600 or 800. and it would be ready for moderate boost.....and change the manifold....will an ITR manifold work or will i have to use an LS?

as for the GSR tranny, will it be geared too short for the B20 i know it doesn't red-line near as high as the B18C. what would be the pro's and con's of using the GSR tranny.

I know this is best suited for the turbo forum, but i found a pair of T-4 turbos off of an 80's model ford. they are in good condition and the guy only wants 350 for the pair...he bought them for his mustang but decided to go with a larger single turbo set-up. would the T-4 be too big a turbo for such a motor?

Old 06-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #5
EightOhOne
AF Fanatic

i say go b20/turbo. Thats what im doing Im not sure about the itr manifold working, but im going with a skunk2. I suggest going with the ls tranny over the gsr if youre going turbo for sure. The LS trannys longer gears will keep you in the boosted range longer than the gsr tranny would. Just my .02. good luck
EightOhOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 06:01 PM   #6
RedRocketGSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RedRocketGSR
Yea i agree with Eightohone on the tranny factor. LS is better for boost than the GSR. And with the B20, you will want to use the LS intake manifold because the B20's is like a giraffe's neck.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #7
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

i have heard that, even with a turbo motor, the ls tranny is a dog...any one have experience on this one? I know i will have to go with a different intake manifold.. i just like the short straight runner design of the ITR manifold.

Eight Oh One
are you in the process of building it or are you going to do it in the future. What are the mods you plan to do. to the motor to handle the boost