Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Andyman150
AF Newbie

Smog Trouble

Heres the scoop, I drive a 2000 3.8L and have had it sitting for almost 3 years in the garage. Dug it out, replaced the fuel pump and filter (it seized up) and now thats its up and running again all I need to do it register and smog it. I took it to the smog place and it failed bc I had recently removed the battery cable to work on it. The place told me to drive it 50-60 miles to kick the monitors back on. I did so, brought it back and it failed again bc apparently I was supposed to drive it between 60-65mph. So I jumped on the freeway and drove at that speed for about 8-10 miles one way and then back maintaining the 60-65mph. Brought it back again and they tell me that the all the monitors still didnt kick on. I received a copy of the "Readiness Test Status" and it goes as follows:
#1 - Misfire - Complete
#2 - Fuel System - Complete
#3 - Comprehensive - Complete
#4 - Catalyst - Not Complete
#5 - Heated Catalyst - Not Complete
#6 - Evaporative System - Not Complete
#7 - Secondary Ait - Not Complete
#8 - AC - Not Available
#9 - Oxygen Sensor - Not Complete
#10 - Oxygen Heater - Not Complete
#11 - EGR - Complete

The guy at the shop tells me that the car is trying to complete one of the monitors but its not clicking on so it cant move on to the others. When I asked him if they went in numerical order as listed above he said no. He then wanted to charge me $60 bucks for an engine diagnostic at which point I said I'll bring it back after I take a look at it. Is there anything I can do to get these monitors working w/out having to pay? Should I drive it more at the indicated speed? Is there a fuse/relay I should check? Let me know what the best course of action would be.
Andyman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
Re: Smog Trouble

There is more to this process than just getting up to and sustaining the 60-65MPH. Some of the tests have to monitor the engine while coasting from 60-40, for example.

I attached a PDF of the Ford guide to completing all of these required monitor checks in a single drive in about 20 minutes. EVAP system usually takes the longest to complete.

Also get codes read. Even if the CEL is not lit up does not mean there is a stored code of some sort that can help you identify any problems.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 19194.pdf (97.3 KB, 10 views)

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Andyman150
AF Newbie

ive done those steps numerous times and nothing, I still get the same reading from the OBDII scanner. now what??
Andyman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

There might be a different Ford drive cycle for Califorina emissions.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote