Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MG Midget
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
marygee1951
AF Newbie

Best year for the MG Midget???

Hi -- we're looking to buy an MG Midget shortly, and have been trying to find out as much as we can ab out the car -- what's you opinion as to the best year for the car? Any recommendations would be appreciated, and any info on what to watch out for would be great too. Thanks for your help!
marygee1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: Best year for the MG Midget???

Quote:
Originally Posted by marygee1951
Hi -- we're looking to buy an MG Midget shortly, and have been trying to find out as much as we can ab out the car -- what's you opinion as to the best year for the car? Any recommendations would be appreciated, and any info on what to watch out for would be great too. Thanks for your help!
My preference leans toward the 1972-74 Midget Mk IV...and here's why.

First is the styling. The rear wheel cutout is round instead of the flat cutout on the earlier and later models. This makes it more difficult to restore (they make "flat" reproduction fenders but not "round" ones) and it's less safe (the "round" style makes the rear end weaker in a collision). Also, the 1975 model gets the rubber bumpers, which are typically less desireable. And the smaller grille of the MK IV makes the front styling better, in my opinion.

Second is the handling. For the 1975 model year, the raised the ride height for American bumper standards. This raised the center of gravity and makes the handling a bit softer.

Third is the engine. The original A-Series engine moved from 1.0L to 1.1L to 1275cc. The final year for this engine was 1974 as the shifted to the Triumph Spitfire 1500cc engine in 1975. As a stubborn MG fan, I don't like the bastardized version of the Midget with the Triumph engine.

And these are among the reasons why I have a 1972 Midget.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MG Midget