Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
95TalonAWD
AF Newbie

What is the best turbo upgrade for my 95 Talon TSi?

This is my first car and i am getting tired of the V-8s workin me on the street. What would be the best upgrade for my stock turbo? i see a lot of talons that claim they are V-8 smoking machines. well can you give me some insight on how to do it?

thanks
you can find me on AIM as gtarbadass13
95TalonAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
viet_boiiiii
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to viet_boiiiii
Re: What is the best turbo upgrade for my 95 Talon TSi?

If you wanna hang with a V8 (lets say mustang or camero) u will probably need a Evo III B16G turbo maxed out and every single support it needs such as better fuel injectors etc. To simply leave the V8's in the dust u will need something like a 50trim turbo or a T3/T4 turbo. Also, when u do upgrade the turbo u will want to upgrade your intercooler into a FMIC so you will get more air. Can u list the mods u have for your car and what have u done to it.
~~~R.I.P (7-2-05)~~~
1998 Eclipse Gst - 5 spd
viet_boiiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Whathits14
AF Enthusiast

Well it is really all dependent on what you want/are willing to spend. For a turbo upgrade, you should get at least a fuel pump, and idealy a set of larger injectors. You should also have exhaust already, as well as an upgraded BOV and probably some UICP. Also, a SAFC should be in the near future with any upgraded turbo.

As for turbos, really depends. If you are a do it your selfer, then you can get a good setup for not so much money. There are some direct bolt on hybrids which are good for at least 400 hp, but usually start around 700 dollars. If you want a simple install, go with a Big t-28 killer, it should be good for about 350, which is a looong ways away from the t-25. It is the easiest bolt on, you don't have to fabricate or modify anything. If you want a mistubishi turbo you will need new intercooler piping and a oil feed/drain kit. Mitsu turbos are generally cheaper than garretts for the amount of ponies they are capable of. If you have bank, I would say to get a sport upgrade gt25r kit from hks. Also, get a set of 680cc injectors, a wally 255lpj fuel pump and definitly a SAFC. Of course, the cheapest way is to get a used turbo, and do the install yourself. This can be a pain, especially if you are switching from a garrett setup to a mitsubishi. Also, it will take about 3x as long as any guide says it will if this is your first turbo upgrade. For the super cheap setup, get a 14b from a 1st gen, with a 1st gen bov, fab a new/ modified LICP, and get a stainless steel oil feed kit and a 1g oil drain pipe. With an upgraded 190lph fuel pump the whole setup should only cost about 400 bones, and you can run 16psi all day on a 14b with the upgrade pump.
Whathits14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
Whathits14
AF Enthusiast

"If you wanna hang with a V8 (lets say mustang or camero) u will probably need a Evo III B16G turbo maxed out and every single support it needs such as better fuel injectors etc. To simply leave the V8's in the dust u will need something like a 50trim turbo or a T3/T4 turbo. Also, when u do upgrade the turbo u will want to upgrade your intercooler into a FMIC so you will get more air. Can u list the mods u have for your car and what have u done to it."

An EVO III GT can kill a camaro with supporting mods. Its good for 400 ponies. But def get exhaust, intake and bov as well as an upgraded fuel system to kill these cars. Mustangs aren't nearly as fast as people think....14's. The EVO III can run 12's.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
kjewer1
AF - Advisor

EVO3 turbo has run 11s. Shit, I ran 12.02 on a big 16g and 12.07 on a small 16g. I would hope I could run 11s on an EVO3... Most poeple do end up in the 12s, but I think it is worth mentioning that its good for a bit more if you setup it up, tune it, and drive it properly.
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
scottsee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to scottsee

you could run 12 second passes on a 14b. a select few have ran 11 second passes.

the turbo is the last part of the puzzle. you need supporting mods
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 AM   #7
GSXracerGuy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to GSXracerGuy
Re: Re: What is the best turbo upgrade for my 95 Talon TSi?

What about a 20G?? I thought big turbos are only good at high speeds, and can have turbo lag. I need to learn about this soon because I am upgrading my turbo soon.

Gotta lotta work to do.

[IMG][/IMG]
GSXracerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
riff22
AF Regular

is 12.8 or so a good guess with a evo 3 gt, 550cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, safc2, act 2100, and a short shifter
riff22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
96spyderman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 96spyderman Send a message via MSN to 96spyderman

My set-up will be a evoIII16g, 550cc injectors, s-afc, greddy profec b spec II EBC, FMIC (thanks jake),ACT 2600#, and from people I have talked to here and other places say it would be a good guess that I could hit mid 12's to 13's... all depends on my shifting .. been awhile since I have had a manual...
I came up with this set-up by talkin to boostedspyder-vince and eclipserst-jake...and finances...I also plan on getting the fuel supports in the nearest possible future to get good times...walbro 255, aeromotive fpr....bla bla bla

Just curious.. is the evoIIIgt and an evoIII16g the same thing... I feel dumb but have seen the name gt about 3 times on AF.com....
Old 04-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
JoeWagon
Banned

You are on the right track, but 'smoking v8s' is not a specific goal. How fast do you want to be going exactly? Without knowing this, the best people can recommend is the current favored upgrade, EVO 3 16g.
JoeWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
Whathits14
AF Enthusiast

Evo III is a solid turbo, but you won't get anywhere with your supporting mods. Since you are AWD making the 12's won't be super hard....get a lot harder for us with fwd. EVO III GT is not made by mitsubishi....found that out a while ago. It has the same specs, but is ported and has an upgraded flapper, and a warranty, so I wouldent worry too much about it being of lesser quiality. with 550s+ a better fuel pump, fpr and full exhaust and a fontmount you should kill camaros no problem. Make certain you tune your fuel and timing if you plan on running more boost. I think the ss camaros run mid-high 13's. With your AWD, you will be into 13's easy with the right supporting mods. Even without AWD with the EVO, 13's wouldent be too hard.
------------------------------------
'95 Talon Tsi
EVO III GT, supporting mods, not running
Brand new never opened, walbro 190LPH fuel pump for a 2g $65 shipped.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain