Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
cerino2000
AF Newbie

Blown Head Gasket? How to tell.

So I bought this little car for a whopping $750. The guy said the car had overheated on them and that there was a pinhole in the filler neck. (94 with a 2.0 ltr). I welded the pin hole shut and thought I had it fixed and the first time it fires up, it blows a radiator hose. I replace all of the hoses and belts while I am at it. My feeling is that the car sure did have a lot of pressure. All then seems well. I drive it on a 50 mile journey to work and when I get off the highway and come to a stop, the gauge goes about to redline. I give it gas and make my turn and it goes right back down. I drive it home another 50 miles at the end of the day with the same results. I had flushed the radiator and figured that there was a massive air bubble that came out during the drive which caused a lack of coolant. It overheated by the time I got home and spooged a good bit of coolant into the resevoir. After it cooled it sucked it ALL back in. I filled it back up (didn't really take much) and then let it idle for like 1/2 hour, drove it for 20 mins, came back and let it idle again and it worked fine. Got up to like middle mark, fan came on it cooled, went off and repeated this cycle over and over. While I let it run I did notice bubbling in the resevoir as it was running but the water level in it went up to a certain level and never higher. I think i put too much water in the system, it got rid of what it didn't want and it was fine. Is there supposed to be a stream of air bubbles coming up from the bottom of the resevoir where the hose goes into it? No water in oil and no oil appears in water although I didn't check prior to the flush. Any other things I can look for? Thanks.
cerino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:01 AM   #2
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Is there supposed to be a stream of air bubbles coming up from the bottom of the resevoir where the hose goes into it?

No. It can do that temporarily, if you've got air in the radiator, but by the sound of it, it's more likely that you have a leak in your head gasket between one of the cylinders and the cooling jacket. Do a compression check to confirm (Autozone or similar will loan you the tool).