Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #46
Seifer68
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Seifer68
Re: supercharged/turbocharged AT THE SAME TIME?

do you know any other sc companies jackson is the only reputable one that i know of
Seifer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #47
shesaidshe18
AF Newbie

i say u can as long as u lower the compression on the pistons. integra/ civic motors have a high compression. and a little work on the head and block.................( see the meguiers integra type-r)
shesaidshe18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #48
casperGSR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to casperGSR
Re: Re: supercharged/turbocharged AT THE SAME TIME?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer68
do you know any other sc companies jackson is the only reputable one that i know of
don't go with jackson.... look into vortech, much better the JR.

casperGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 AM   #49
IH8RICE
AF Regular

Question am i just nuts ?

doesnt it make sense to get a turbo that spools up fast at a low rpm build up the internals and then use a good size shot of nos for the peak hp sounds much easier to do then run a supercharger and turbo at the same time kinda defeats the point if i as me or i might just be nuts im not quite sure. superchargers take a while longer to build boost from what i understand so id go big garrett turbo and like at least 60 shot of NOS
IH8RICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:40 AM   #50
93hybridaccord
AF Regular

Re: am i just nuts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8RICE
doesnt it make sense to get a turbo that spools up fast at a low rpm build up the internals and then use a good size shot of nos for the peak hp sounds much easier to do then run a supercharger and turbo at the same time kinda defeats the point if i as me or i might just be nuts im not quite sure. superchargers take a while longer to build boost from what i understand so id go big garrett turbo and like at least 60 shot of NOS
That is one way of doing it, but if you want more power, what do you do then, you gotta go get different jets or a whole new nitrous kit. The smart thing to do is get a turbo that best performs for what you want to do and is the right fit for your car at what levels you wanna run. Then if you ever wanna kick up the hp, turn up the boost a little. Much cheaper than trying to add more nitrous.

2003 srt-4 - daily driver
93hybridaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #51
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox
you got it backwards... You want to put on a turbo that is a bit too big, and hit the NOS right when you launch. The NOS will raise the EGT and cause the turbos to spool almost instantly. Some racers will hit a small shot of NOS while still at the lights when stalling against the convertor to spool the turbos for a quick launch/60ft time. NOS is VERY sensitive to exhaust backpressure, I can't imagine anything good coming out of an engine at high RPM fighting a small turbine/high backpressure, then hitting NOS. Most likely, either you melt a hole in the piston from excessive heat or the turbo over-revs since even with the wastegate full open it cant get rid of the extra exhaust fast enough, and turns your turbo into a useless chunk of iron, or better yet, snaps the driveshaft so the compressor wheel starts bouncin off the housing and throwing shrapnel into your engine. I would never ever ever use NOS when high backpressure is present.

Also, NOS costs money every time you use it. A supercharger/turbocharger or a sequential turbo system like mine will offer quick spool and a wide powerband without needing refills.
duplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #52
IH8RICE
AF Regular

so basically running a turbo and supercharger would be the ultimate as long as u have the money and room to do it? what am i missing here i know alot bout domestics but not too much about big hp out of a small import motor. i know some nissans and 3000gts had twin turbo but to me thats just more to go wrong id stick with one big turbo that spools fast. I guess my point is Whats the point of running botha turbo and supercharger? run one the other.
IH8RICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #53
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

the point of running both a supercharger and a turbocharger would be to get the almost instant boost from the supercharger, then once it reached around a cirtain rpm *say 4500* your rediculously oversized turbocharger is spooled, making no gap in boost time. the hardest thing to do would be to somehow either bypass or effectively shut down the supercharger so that it did not over-rev and blow to pieces.. it's been done before, it's just not all that easy
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote