Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sonoma | S-15
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
wadeb_21
AF Newbie

Universal Joint

I was wondering if somemone could help me out. I'm curious to how hard it is to change the universal joint I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma 4 cylnder 5 speed. I'm actually not even sure if thats what needs to be replaced. I alwasy here a loud rattling noise whenever I need to down shift, someone told me it was the U joint so I wanted to see how hard it was to replace it or if its just easier for me to bring it to the shop. Any advice would realy help. Thanks in advance.
wadeb_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Universal Joint

Welcome to AF, I would not tackle this without a definitive diagnosis first, have a pro check it out and/or road test it.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
wadeb_21
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Welcome to AF, I would not tackle this without a definitive diagnosis first, have a pro check it out and/or road test it.
Thanks for the welcome
See I took my truck to get a courtesy check yesterday and they didn't see or hear anything wrong with it they even took it for a drive and did not hear the rattling (more like jiggling bell noise) that I hear coming from the transmission and after driving it for a little while and when I need to down shift. I mean my friend told me that it was the universal joint but I just thought I would ask on here first.
I'm really not sure what to do.
Is it expensive to have it done professionaly?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
gmctruck811
AF Newbie

Just replaced all 3 of my u-joints in my 2000 Sonoma. It's an automatic and it has a 2 piece drive shaft. Also replaced the carrier bearing (that I had pressed off and on). I replace all of my u-joints because 2 were bad. See if you have a 1 or 2 piece driveshaft. If u have a 1 piece shaft that makes it easier in how many u need to replace. With a 1 piece u also don't have to mess with the carrier braring.
gmctruck811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
gmctruck811
AF Newbie

I consider u-joint replacemant easy but can be frustrating for the first timer. Probably would be best to remove driveshaft and take to a machine shop that has a press. I take mine to a local NAPA machine shop. I think they charged me $25 to R&R my carrier bearing.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
wadeb_21
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmctruck811
I consider u-joint replacemant easy but can be frustrating for the first timer. Probably would be best to remove driveshaft and take to a machine shop that has a press. I take mine to a local NAPA machine shop. I think they charged me $25 to R&R my carrier bearing.
I'm pretty sure its a 2 piece driveshaft. See my buddy that suggested what was wrong with it lives in a differenet state he was just going to tell me how to replace the U joints.
So your saying that for a first timer it might be rather fustrating?
Also if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost for you to do it yourself?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Deane KY
AF Newbie

I thought for sure the clunking I was hearing on my S-15 was a sign of worn u-joints. I hemmed and hawed over whether I would be able to replace them myself. Afraid of doing more harm than good, I took it in for a look and whaddya know. The u-joints were fine. Just a lot (a LOT) of play in the drive train. Eventual rebuild, but that's on down the line. If you have the confidence, it's definitely something you can do on your own. Just prepare to get a little ticked in the process! Good luck!
Deane KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
gmctruck811
AF Newbie

Oh boy. Six dollars a piece for the u-joints (went with the type with grease fittings). In other words about $20. $80.00 to replace carrier bearing (part + labor). To me replacing u-joint is easy, I am not ruling out frustrating.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sonoma | S-15