Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
flip888
AF Regular

My 5.0 Mustang Killed by a V6 Camaro.

Yeah, late last Saturday night i was cruising around town, looking for some cars, when up pulls this green LT1 style (93-97 i think) camaro with a pretty good sounding exhaust. Once he actually caught up to me, he stayed pretty much beside me for about 5 mins until the next light. where there was a car in front of me and so instead of pulling up to the line where your suppose to, he stops even with my car and the guy in the passenger seat rolls down the window and said somethin like "its a V6 whats up".
i kinda laughed and said "that doesn't sound like a v6" (because of the exhaust and the wide rear tires i assumed he was trying to downplay his car for if he wanted to race for money or something). So then he asked me to follow him to a parking lot where he wanted to show me his car.

The light turned green and we drive up the street a bit and then pulled into a Safeway parking lot, where we get out and he pops the hood, and sure enough there was a v6... packing a nicely sized centrifugal blower. I asked him what kind of work he had done to it and all the sudden he starts telling me his mod list, and says that the last time he was at the track he ran a mid 11 on low boost, but he was using 110 octane this night. i thought he might be exaggerating but still, i thought it was pretty impressive and i could tell he spent one hell of a wad on this motor. Then i was like "how come you used a v6 instead of a v8" only to find out that this guy seriously didnt like v8 camaros for some reason, its like an LT1 bitch slapped his mom or someting, you had to be there but it was kinda funny how he said it. but any ways he asked me if i wanted to run him on the highway and i said why not, so we turn around and head to the highway (which was only about a 6 min drive from the Safeway we were at since there wasnt much traffic), and at the light we were at just before the on ramp he said he want to go from 60 first, then 40, then from a stop and i agree.

So we get on the highway and wait until we are around the this mellow curve in the highway, and when it straightened out, he slowed a bit (back to 60) and got right beside me. I look over at the guy in the passenger seat and he does a count down on his fingers saying "3..2..1..GO". I wasn't sure if he meant to go on go or to go as if the word "go" was a number so i did the later just to be safe, as did he, and i quickly pull at least 1.5 car lengths on him, thinking that hew was all talk, when all the sudden he started pulling on me reasonably hard (nothing extreme but he was pulling decently) and by the time we were at 120 or so, he had 1/2 a car length on me and was still pulling. I shut down right about at 125~, and he kept going until probably 130-140 or so until he shut down.

Next race was almost exactly the same accept i got about a 2 car jump on him at first this time, and i shutdown after he was about 1 length in front of my car at probably 135-145 or so. i was in my highest gear at 6000 rpm when i shut down + my speedo doesnt work so i just assume it was 135-145.

The last race though, turned out to be a little better for me. I just recently installed a 3000 rpm torque converter and got a set of DRs, so my launches aren't half bad anymore, and and that definitely showed through on this race.
We slowed down to a stop, and once again his passenger does the 3-2-1 count and we both launch at the same time, but i dont know wtf happened to him, but i out launched the hell out of him, i got at least 4-5 lengths on him, and i kept most of them until 130~ where i shut down and he was 2-2.5 behind me.
I dont know why but it felt extra good to beat him that last time. Very satisfying.

I think he wanted to go again, but i did an arm maneuver signaling for him to follow me off the next exit. He did and we stopped at a Burger king and talked for a while. hes a pretty nice guy, knows a lot about cars it seems. said hes going with a turbo setup instead of his blower next year
Then we said goodbye and went our own ways, looking for more things to race.

So I head back to bremmy (the place i was originally in), and as i pass the same Safeway we pulled into earlier, a blue STi pulls up beside me. I looked over but i couldnt see the guys face through his tinted side window, but he sped up real quick and changes lanes because of a slow car and guns it again. I resist my urge to race since there was a lot more traffic all the sudden than there was earlier for some reason, so i dont get on it or anything, which is extremely lucky bucause all the sudden the STi changes lanes again real urgently and pulls into a Hollywood Video, revealing a undercover Crown Vic that was in front of him that i didn't even see, which scarred the ***t out of me (it was the feeling you get when you almost ride your 10-speed off a 15 foot cliff on accident, but narrowly escape it, scary as hell).
Anyways, i just went home after that

Notes:
Raced a blown v6 camaro
lost 2, won 1
almost raced an STi but didn't
there were police were in front of the STi that would have caught us if we did race
flip888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:59 AM   #2
90redgt
AF Enthusiast

Re: My 5.0 Mustang Killed by a V6 Camaro.

lol entertaining, i like the 10speed bike thing with the cliff analogy you put there at the end. made me laugh.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Boosted1
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like an entertaining evening. Good race with the Camaro. Any idea on what brand of blower he had?

1989 5.0L Ford Mustang (MODIFIED)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/761789

Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

thats pretty neat, ive heard those 3.8's can take a lot of boost.
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
What kinda mods do you have? Any times yet? Sounds like a great race, but I'm with you on his slightly bloated mid 11 sec timeslip.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
flip888
AF Regular

haha yeah, he wasn't much faster than me, and i don't run mid 11's yet, he was probably low 12s, maybe very very high 11s.

a few of the mods i have off the top of my head are a 306, forged pistons/rods, 11.5:1 compression, E/H/I, 255lpf, 32mm injectors. 4:10s, Detroit locker, E303 cam, 72mm TB, AOD w/ shift kit 3000 rpm torque converter, MT streets (i also got a pair of nitto nt555), umm and a few others, its tuned for nitrous, im hoping for high 10s with a 150 shot and the ET streets.

The last time i went to the track it ran a 13.5 at 113 mph, but that was on the factory 1600 rpm torque converter and stock tires spinning half the track, so next time i think mid 12s should be attainable, with the new converter and tires.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
flip888
AF Regular

Oh, and the supercharger the camaro guy (brad) had, was a vortech S-trim i think, or it might of been a T-trim,
I think he sayd he got it off his friends car and didnt know exactly for sure himself.
im pretty sure he thought it was a s-trim though
Old 11-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
samandiar
AF Regular

Do you live in Kitsap county, WA or therabouts? There is an 11-sec V6 camaro that hangs out down at the strip in Bremerton
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
flip888
AF Regular

Heh yeah i do live in Kitsap county

the guy your thinking of is probably the guy i raced

thats cool, so he is a 11 sec car

My car is strong enough/light (350RWHP/2850lbs) enough to be a 11 sec car too though

He ran the 11 on medium-low boost, 11.7 with 8 psi or something (or a 8 pound pully i think he sayd), that night he was running higer boost which is probably why he beat me those times.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
209 SRT
AF Enthusiast

displacement vs boost good one........nice race...sounds like you have a pretty hot fifthy on your hands.......so hows those 4:10s on top end feel.....

"REPPIN STOCKTON CALI STRAIGHT FROM THE VALLEY"
2005 SRT-4 ACR
YOU KNOW THE SAD THING ABOUT LOSING TO A NEON?

"YOU HAVE TO LIE TO YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF CAR JUST HANDED YOU YOUR ASS..... "
209 SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
samandiar
AF Regular

Re: Re: My 5.0 Mustang Killed by a V6 Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip888
Heh yeah i do live in Kitsap county

the guy your thinking of is probably the guy i raced

thats cool, so he is a 11 sec car

My car is strong enough/light (350RWHP/2850lbs) enough to be a 11 sec car too though

He ran the 11 on medium-low boost, 11.7 with 8 psi or something (or a 8 pound pully i think he sayd), that night he was running higer boost which is probably why he beat me those times.
Small world. Yeah, I was surprised when I saw what looked like a stock V6 Camaro with a chrome exhaust tip run 11s. Pretty sweet car.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:50 AM   #12
2000LS1Z28
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, i've read of the V6 powered F Bodies running low 12's, such as 12secV6 car, which can be seen at this website: http://www.bbbracing.com/

I'm sure the guy used some squeeze, and had a good converter.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing