Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
stang805
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stang805
CA18det owners unite!!

Ok, so I'm still building the thing, just thought I'd see if anyone else has or is going to do a CA18 swap, maybe post how you solved a problem with the swap, a good place to find parts, you know just a good informational thread on the CA18det topic. and not a bunch a flaming about how the sr is the best, do some research
Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: CA18det owners unite!!

god you fag ca18 sucks donkey balls KA FTW!!!!!!!!
j/k good luck with the build, i hope your ready for some honda style torque figures.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

go drive a CA18 car and an SR car before you waste your time with CA swap.

seriously.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
stang805
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stang805

yeah yeah, see how long the sr will stand up to 30+ psi, oh and the valve train is kinda sloppy, oh adn the aluminum block is a little weak too, jeesus, I even asked for no bs "this is obviously better because it's what I have". the purpose of this thread is for information and general chat about the CA, If that's too difficult a concept for you just keep it to yourself please. anyways, slideways, yeah wont be a real torque monster but I'm kinda shootin for the same effect I had going with my RX-7, no tourque but enough high RPM ponies to compensate, I had a '90 hatch with the KA for a while, sold it cause the frame was rustier than a 77 chevy but I was actually impressed with how much spunk it had for being bone stock, the coupe had a hole the size of my fist in the block when I got it so a swap was going to happen anyways, just decided on the CA because of it's potential and strength, plus, just like the KA I can get most of my parts at autozone.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang805
yeah yeah, see how long the sr will stand up to 30+ psi.
Or you know, 45 or 50... from a GT4508... And an entire season... with the cylinder walls bored 4mm over...

yeah, aluminum block is weak. How many CAs shit their ass out at 500whp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang805
oh and the valve train is kinda sloppy.
You mean spins to 8 with valvesprings? and 11k + with solid lifters? you mean makes peak power at 13.5 with an N2 Head?

Hondas run rockers, Ferraris run rockers, its so you can run big lift without knocking on the head casting ala KA/RB/CA style.

I can get SR parts at autozone.

All I said was try it out, In my experience, CA cars have no balls and are boring to drive. I don't have any beef with people swapping CAs, but don't try to go around spreading mis information and then get bent when someone calls you on it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

you should do what you want. you can make any motor balls out with enough money. shit call up cosworth or something and shell out 10 grand, and tell them to convert a CA head to rocker arm style. and with a slight geometry revision internally, tune for peak power at 17,500. who cares. the SR/CA/KA/RB/VG and every motor made back then is just that; old. whatever kind you like is what you should get. you cant be a ricer by motor choice alone.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
flicktitty
AF Newbie

My girlfriend is doing a Ca18det in her Coupe in the next 2 months. Were doin it cause the KA is getting really tired and weak. and she wants something turbo but doesn't wanna break the bank. If you guys want power why not got 2J?

1992 Chevy 1500
-------------------------------------------------
Currently looking for a B5 Audi S4
Or a MKIV TT Supra
Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicktitty
My girlfriend is doing a Ca18det in her Coupe in the next 2 months. Were doin it cause the KA is getting really tired and weak. and she wants something turbo but doesn't wanna break the bank. If you guys want power why not got 2J?
why not a rebuild and a KA-T? wtf? im sorry but unless you know how the ca18 drives and want it because of what it is, theres no other reason to get one. seriously. and a 2jz has nothing to do with this thread. its expensive and not practical for most people with normal budgets.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
flicktitty
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
why not a rebuild and a KA-T? wtf? im sorry but unless you know how the ca18 drives and want it because of what it is, theres no other reason to get one. seriously. and a 2jz has nothing to do with this thread. its expensive and not practical for most people with normal budgets.
Gee that would be a splended idea if i had at least a month to have her car down for. Plus the extra $3,000

1. Have to get a rebuild kit for the KA
2.Then have someone put it together.
3.Then either peice together a turbo kit or order one (greddy/turbo240/etc)
4.Then get the car running and tuned in.

Where as CA i'm getting is about $1,200 and have the KA out and the CA back in under a weekend. So to me that makes a fuck ton more sense. then waiting to have the KA rebuilt the car isn't gonna be some stupid fast track car just a little car she can have fun with. Car at most will hit maybe 250-300WHP and that might be a little much. Like i said. Just looking for something fun and little more mod friendly then the KA.

Plans for her CA
Intake/Downpipe/Exhaust/FMIC/Test Pipe/T28 Turbo/injectors/Ecu tune/Bov/etc etc....

But all that can be done over time. where as to get the KA-T running solid it would need to be done sooner rather then later.

Trust me i have love for the KA-T one of my buddies has a GT30R on a DOHC and the other has a GT28RS on a Single cammer. So i know what they will do and they have had nothing but problems which is NOT what i want for her to have. But thanks for your .02

And how do you say the 2JZ is too expensive for most people? i've seen the swap kit for $1,500 and the motorset for another $1,700 Then figure another what $1,000 into other do-dads to get the car running your at what? $4,200? for a 300HP setup? How much more money you gonna have to dump into your SR/CA/KA to see a EASY RELIABLE 300HP? Then how much more to see 5-6-7-800WHP?

I rest my case. Thanks.

1992 Chevy 1500
Or a MKIV TT Supra
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicktitty
Gee that would be a splended idea if i had at least a month to have her car down for. Plus the extra $3,000

1. Have to get a rebuild kit for the KA
2.Then have someone put it together.
3.Then either peice together a turbo kit or order one (greddy/turbo240/etc)
4.Then get the car running and tuned in.

Where as CA i'm getting is about $1,200 and have the KA out and the CA back in under a weekend. So to me that makes a fuck ton more sense. then waiting to have the KA rebuilt the car isn't gonna be some stupid fast track car just a little car she can have fun with. Car at most will hit maybe 250-300WHP and that might be a little much. Like i said. Just looking for something fun and little more mod friendly then the KA.

Plans for her CA
Intake/Downpipe/Exhaust/FMIC/Test Pipe/T28 Turbo/injectors/Ecu tune/Bov/etc etc....

But all that can be done over time. where as to get the KA-T running solid it would need to be done sooner rather then later.

Trust me i have love for the KA-T one of my buddies has a GT30R on a DOHC and the other has a GT28RS on a Single cammer. So i know what they will do and they have had nothing but problems which is NOT what i want for her to have. But thanks for your .02

And how do you say the 2JZ is too expensive for most people? i've seen the swap kit for $1,500 and the motorset for another $1,700 Then figure another what $1,000 into other do-dads to get the car running your at what? $4,200? for a 300HP setup? How much more money you gonna have to dump into your SR/CA/KA to see a EASY RELIABLE 300HP? Then how much more to see 5-6-7-800WHP?

I rest my case. Thanks.
im sorry i kind of just assumed you knew how to work on cars. so since you dont have any clue, go ahead and do whatever you want. but you do seem to pull a lot of figures out of your ass...so you figure its cheaper for a 2jz than an SR20? how does that work? please next time before you try and argue with facts, make sure they actually are facts and not some figures you pulled out of your ass. namely, who the fuck are you gonna get to put the 2jz in? you forgot that even to put a ca18 in they charge 1200 bucks. so your figure keeps rising. and id like to see a 2jz swap thats reliable with only 1,000 in extras. but since you seem to know all the details but nothing about cars i should just take your word for it. i guess.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to doberman_52

For a 2JZ swap its bout 8 to 9 grand to do it your self and be completly stock. Driftking777 did the swap, so you can ask him about it.

Cory
Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
flicktitty
AF Newbie

So you guys HAVE to have a shop do your swaps?

I've done 3 SR20DET swaps into S13s
2 SR20DET's into S14s.
1 RB25DET into a S14
I'm working on a RB30DET and putting it into my buddies S13
I've helped do a SBC into a S13.
I've done a LS1 Powered FC
So if you have the tools/time/and know how you can do the swaps on your own. you don't need to have a shop do all your shit.

It's really funny how you think the SR/KA is so much better. But tell me if you had $1500 to put into the motor of a AUTOMATIC KA24DE what would you do? would you 5spd swap it and rebuild the KA? or swap in a CA? to me it makes more sense to do a CA.

Oh and since we were on the 2J topic
www.osakajdmmotors.com (look up the 2JZ it's $1500/$1700
http://tech2motorsports.com/tech-2-m...p/i-82257.aspx ($1700 SWAP KIT)

Seriously do you know anything with the supra world and how LITTLE needs to be done to make 400WHP out of those cars/motors? When was the last time you saw a 800WHP SR/KA/CA??

So where do i have no facts? i've done swaps. i have friends that work in very repitable shops, i have friends that have stupid fast cars (8/9/10) second cars there is no reason i couldn't do this. But thanks for your "input"

And also, i'm sure because you have 3,000 post and have been here longer then me i'm some "noob" ehhh wrong again bud.

1992 Chevy 1500
Or a MKIV TT Supra
Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
flicktitty
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman_52
For a 2JZ swap its bout 8 to 9 grand to do it your self and be completly stock. Driftking777 did the swap, so you can ask him about it.
1. Where did he get his motor/trans/ecu?
2. I'll bet he ran a 5spd or even the Getrag 6spd in the car = more $$$
3. WHAT else did he do to the car/motor/ did he rebuild it? do the timing belts? water pump? if he did you don't NEED to do it but it is a smart thing to do. YOU COULD do a 2JZ swap for $4,000 and it would last quite a while.

1992 Chevy 1500
Or a MKIV TT Supra
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to doberman_52

I dont know what he all did for his swap, you would have to talk to him about that. The 2JZ for 1700 comes with an auto tranny, the other one with the 6 speed is 5500. For me to do a 2JZ swap (or any swap for that matter) its going to cost more since I will be replacing parts that really dont have to do with the swap, but should/need to be replaced (motor/tanny mounts, radiator, over flow tank, etc). The cheapest I had seen a 2Jz before your site was about 5.5 to 6 grand for all but the kit. So it all depends on where you get the motor/tranny and parts for the swap. Once I get about 5 grand saved, I am putting in a S14 Blacktop in mine and go from there. I have a list of everthing I need for the swap and just about everything else that I need to replace due to age and wear, and damage. All in all about 4 grand, but I want some left over for emergencies, extra parts if I forgot, etc. I will be doing this myself with a few friends so I wont have shop charges. So price varies on the motor, car, and what you want, how you want it done, etc.

Cory
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
flicktitty
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman_52
I dont know what he all did for his swap, you would have to talk to him about that. The 2JZ for 1700 comes with an auto tranny, the other one with the 6 speed is 5500. For me to do a 2JZ swap (or any swap for that matter) its going to cost more since I will be replacing parts that really dont have to do with the swap, but should/need to be replaced (motor/tanny mounts, radiator, over flow tank, etc). The cheapest I had seen a 2Jz before your site was about 5.5 to 6 grand for all but the kit. So it all depends on where you get the motor/tranny and parts for the swap. Once I get about 5 grand saved, I am putting in a S14 Blacktop in mine and go from there. I have a list of everthing I need for the swap and just about everything else that I need to replace due to age and wear, and damage. All in all about 4 grand, but I want some left over for emergencies, extra parts if I forgot, etc. I will be doing this myself with a few friends so I wont have shop charges. So price varies on the motor, car, and what you want, how you want it done, etc.
I see, personally i like your idea of replacing the things that will need to be done. But like i said it is not needed to do the swap. G/L on your Swap keep us updated my buddy has a S14 blacktop in his S13 and he loves it.

1992 Chevy 1500
Or a MKIV TT Supra

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX