Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Nigel18
AF Newbie

Reprogramming Keyless Entry for a Montana SV6 2005

Ok, I just reprogrammed the keyless entry for my 2005 Montanta SV6 and I wanted to share the procedure with everyone.
I initially found the procedure steps on this forum but they were for Montanas from 1999-2004. But what I did worked
and I wanted to document what how it worked. Below are the original instructions I got off this board.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Keep the windows open as a safety measure, then,
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Remove the BCM PRGRM fuse from the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block in Wiring Systems.
Close all of the doors.
Close the liftgate.
Turn the ignition lock cylinder to ACC.
Turn the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, and then back to ACC within 1 second.
Open and close any vehicle door. A chime will be heard when the system enters the BCM programming/diagnostic mode.
Important
After 7 seconds, a chime may be heard confirming successful synchronization. It is necessary to wait approximately
14 seconds for a second chime that will confirm successful programming.

Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds.
Repeat the previous step on each additional transmitter to be programmed.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Install the BCM PRGRM fuse back into the fuse panel. Refer to Fuse Block in Wiring Systems.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The confusion in this procedure when working with a Montana SV6 is that there is no fuse called the BCM PRGRM fuse. In the SV6, it is actually the door lock fuse, or #1 fuse in the instrument panel fusebox. This fusebox can be found on the passenger side when you open up the door. Where the door and the dash meet, there is a panel that comes off and underneath is the fuse box. So pull that #1 fuse out. Then I did the ACC steps after closing all doors, but I never heard a chime signaling the start of the reprogramming step. Since I didnt hear a chime, I just held down the two lock buttons on the remote keychain for at least 14 seconds, and when that was done, I could push the lock buttons and see that the parking lights would flash. So then I held down the two lock keys on my other keychain and programmed
that one too. That's it! Turn the car off put the fuse back in, and roll up the windows. All this because the keychain batteries died. The dealer quoted me a price of over $100. They said they would have to reorder new keychains and program it themselves. What a rip off! The batteries cost me $4 on ebay and that was for 6 of them. How dissapointing. Ok, so there is the procedure I used and everything works great! Hope it helps someone.
Nigel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

Re: Reprogramming Keyless Entry for a Montana SV6 2005

have to watch them dealers as they have to keep the lights on somehow.
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
JabbaTHutt
AF Regular

I don't understand what the remote batteries dieing have to do with it.

The remotes should not change codes when the battery dies.

If you take on out now and put it back in there is no reason the the van to stop knowing what it is as the info is stored in the BCM. Keep us informed if you have a BCM problem in the future.

Niagara Falls
Canada
JabbaTHutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Nigel18
AF Newbie

well, I dont know why the batteries dying would have anything to do with it, but all I know is that when I put new batteries in them, they didnt work. They were never broken, just dead. So I had to reprogram the car to recognize the remotes as if they were new.
Nigel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
JabbaTHutt
AF Regular

I saw you have a BCM problem, unless the newer remotes are drasticly differant, but then again a fried was here in november or there about and he had bought a 2006 SV6 and it came with 2 remotes and one didn't work any more. I took it apart have the battery out many times, seems the pads are wore out already, I found a way to fix them, and when he came back I just pushed the buttons to try it and every thing was fine with it. Thing is the codes for the remote are hard coded in the remote. To change them you would have to changed that one big black chip in it or hook it to a programmer and changed it.

Even today I took the battery out of the remote for my 2003 today and sitting here for 5 minutes and put it back in and pushed the lock button twice and the horn honked.

Niagara Falls
Canada
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

if it was a couple of days or more then yeah the bcm will forget the remote.but it doesn't take long for it to remember once you re-program it. same if the main battery is unhooked from the van for a couple of days the thing has to be re-programed as it forgets everything.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
JabbaTHutt
AF Regular

No way the BCM is going to forget the remote if you don't use the it for a couple of days let alone a week or a month.

These things come with the van, they could sit for weeks at the manufactuer's lot before they get put on a train or transport truck to get hauled away to a dealer, and no way are they going to forget all the remotes or even the keys.

My daughter drives our van and has a key and a remote and sometimes its a week or two between her using her key or remote on the van and it has never forgotten it.

These remotes and keys have the info in them hardcoded and the fact the battery in the remote dies is not going to cause it to loose its programming.

My dad has an 03 dodge GC, mom has a key and remote for it, mom has her own car, mom does not drive on snow or ice or slush covered roads, so it could be months before she uses either remote for the van or her car. And so far neither has forgotten the remote.

If you are loosing programming on the remotes I say it is a BCM problem, from the sounds of it you have been having lots of dead batteries in your remotes to come up with this, which again leads me to believe its a BCM problem. These remotes can run for years without changing the battery.

I am sure if we asked people on here if they could tell use on a 4 or 5 year old van when the last time they changed the battery in the remote was and chances are they have never changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood84
if it was a couple of days or more then yeah the bcm will forget the remote.but it doesn't take long for it to remember once you re-program it. same if the main battery is unhooked from the van for a couple of days the thing has to be re-programed as it forgets everything.

Niagara Falls
Canada
Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

tell you what take the battery out of your dads gc and leave it out for two days .put it back in and see what you got.the door locks, remotes, you'll be lucky if the pass-key doesn't shut the motor off.as for the remotes take the batteries out for two days and after two days put the batteries back in and use them most of the time the doors will not unlock or lock.i didn't say the remotes would quit working or that the van will forget them laying around with the batteries in them for months or years........don't believe it try it....the info might be hardcoded in but the bcm will forget.if the battery in the remote dies and you put one in pretty quick then the memory is still there.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
JabbaTHutt
AF Regular

So what you are telling me is that my remotes are all sitting here talking to my van all the time and the van is talking to my remote?

I am sorry but GM isn't that bright yet.

As I said before there are many days where my daughter never uses her remote, it never talks to the van for days on end so the BCM should have forgotten her remote buy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood84
tell you what take the battery out of your dads gc and leave it out for two days .put it back in and see what you got.the door locks, remotes, you'll be lucky if the pass-key doesn't shut the motor off.as for the remotes take the batteries out for two days and after two days put the batteries back in and use them most of the time the doors will not unlock or lock.i didn't say the remotes would quit working or that the van will forget them laying around with the batteries in them for months or years........don't believe it try it....the info might be hardcoded in but the bcm will forget.if the battery in the remote dies and you put one in pretty quick then the memory is still there.

Niagara Falls
Canada
Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

jabba, did you take them batteries out and wait two or three days and then put them back in and see if it works or not.. cause i ain't got time or patience to argue over it....how is the bcm gonna talk to the remote or the remote gonna talk to the bcm if no ones pushing the buttons on the remote?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
jwulf1092
AF Newbie

I KNOW this is a very old thread.... but it is tops on my google results and I have a similar problem....
I follow the steps, removing fuse#1 as my 2005 Montanan SV6 does not have a BCM fuse...
Closing the passenger door (has to be open to remove the fuse)
Getting in on drivers side and closing the door, key in, turn to acc position, then off, then back to acc within 1 second.
Open and close drivers door....
But I can not get the beeps to tell me it has entered programming mode. So I hold the lock and unlock buttons on my new remote together for approx 14 seconds. But no joy, my brand new remotes will not program up. No lights blinking, nor doors locking/unlocking, after putting the fuse back in.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sincerely Mr. Wulf
jwulf1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Several things......

Normally, if the remote dies because of a battery, just install a new battery......sometimes, you may have to hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for more than 10 seconds, and the horn will chirp, and everything is ok....

Changing remotes is a whole different ball game.......if the procedure is not followed to the letter, it will not program.....

Another thing is, are you sure you have the correct remotes......remotes look alike, but if you do not have the correct P/N on the back of the remote, it's the wrong one.....are you sure the remotes even work?

Another thing, on some vehicles, you can only program so many remotes to one vehicle....if someone else had the vehicle before you, maybe the slots were used up as remotes were lost/replaced.....

Your last resort, it to go to a dealership....they should only charge you 0.5 hours of labor(at their rate), to program remotes.....they need to check that the remotes send out a signal(they have a special tool to test this), then they use a Tech II scan tool, clear slots if needed, and program the remotes.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
PGFolks
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6 and purchased two new key fobs from Ebay. After trying the procedure posted here to no avail, I had a lock smith who specializes in keyless entry look at it and he used a scan tool, but was unsuccessful as well. He determined that the key fobs were functional, but had an FCC code that is not compatible with my vehicle. Could you help me determine the correct FCC code so I can try to purchase a key fob that will work?
PGFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I am not sure what procedure you used, but I think for your vehicle, you need a Tech II scan tool to program the fobs.....

Since your locksmith has determined that your remotes are functional, you must have the wrong fobs.....

What you can do is call any local GM dealership parts department, and ask them what the P/N(part number) should be on the back of the fob....if you look at the back of your keyless entry fob, you will see P/N followed by a number......the number the parts guy gives you should match the fob.....if it doesn't it's the wrong one.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
PGFolks
AF Newbie

Thank you TechII for taking some of your valuable time on New Year's Eve, no less. Yes, the lock smith used a scan tool and was convinced these fobs were the wrong ones, but since they don't have any part number identification (cheap knock offs purchased at Bay) we have no way to confirm it. I can maybe get a correct GM P/N from a dealer and seek one from the internet. Thank you for your suggestion.
PGFolks is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6