Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 07:10 AM   #16
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

Re: Convert Your Cluster & Control lights to LED's How-to!

does the red on the HVAC show up at all? from the pic it looks like only the red shows.
99 chevy s10 zr2, 6" lift, duel exhaust. 5 speed.
metallica21156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #17
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Re: Convert Your Cluster & Control lights to LED's How-to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica21156
does the red on the HVAC show up at all? from the pic it looks like only the red shows.

My camera sucks... The red shows up as violet now since I put all blue bulbs in there. Just really can't see it in the pic.

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #18
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

can you take another pic of the entire cluster but with the PRND21 showing? or does it not show with your camera. also what was your total cost when finished?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #19
rlith
AF Enthusiast

If you look at the 7th pic down, you can see the blue LED that is my OD light. As I said, my cam sucks (cheapy hp) so it's hard to show anything).... Total cost for bulbs was about 26 bux. 10 t1's, 5 194's, 7 5mm 2800mcd led's, and another 6 or 7 3mm led's for switches (5mm's were used for the cluster PRND321)

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
Old 03-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #20
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

did you by chance also change the lights where the defroster switch is? can you change the ones in the door as well or is it a sealed unit.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #21
rlith
AF Enthusiast

See the above pictures, yes, the HVAC was also changed out, they use t1 bulbs... As stated earlier, the switches (doors and dash controls) used 3mm LED's.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:36 AM   #22
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

ok i'm looking into do it my self so i'll let you know how it goes. i'll try to post some pics to see if they are any better.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:42 AM   #23
kbastidas
AF Newbie

Smile

Is there a specific reason why you used hyperwhite LED's for the idiot lights? Would I not be able to see them if i use blue LED's? also what did you use for the center gear selector? 3 or 5mms and how many? Thank you again.
kbastidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #24
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbastidas
Is there a specific reason why you used hyperwhite LED's for the idiot lights? Would I not be able to see them if i use blue LED's? also what did you use for the center gear selector? 3 or 5mms and how many? Thank you again.
I used the hyperwhite for the idiot lights because I wanted to maintain stock colors on that. Being the t1 blues are only 900 mcd they don't light up the idiot lights because the socket is so far away from the gauge material.

If you read the article itself, it states that I used 5mm 2600 mcd blue led's for the gear selector on the cluster. The center shift gear selector uses a 194 bulb which I used a 4 led wedge 194..

Old 03-18-2005, 07:13 AM   #25
dmbrisket 51
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51

verry nice, i shal be book marking this, the only thing i noticed, is you said you have to drop the steering wheel, i know in the 98+ you do not, just put the selector down to 1 and there is enough clearence, and is it even possible to do this with the 98+ seince the bastards made it a sealed unit?
dmbrisket 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:23 AM   #26
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Convert Your Cluster & Control lights to LED's How-to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrisket 51
verry nice, i shal be book marking this, the only thing i noticed, is you said you have to drop the steering wheel, i know in the 98+ you do not, just put the selector down to 1 and there is enough clearence, and is it even possible to do this with the 98+ seince the bastards made it a sealed unit?
If you can get the cluster off without dropping the steering wheel, more power to ya! Only the front is sealed on those (makes it a biatch to put glow faces on, you have to heat up and seperate the glue) The bulbs are the same though in the back so it's not an issue.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #27
Flashbac29
AF Newbie

After making this conversion, am i correct in assuming you will no longer be able to effectively dim your dash board lights? Basically, turning the dimmer control into an on/off switch.
Flashbac29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:50 PM   #28
rlith
AF Enthusiast

look earlier in the thread, yes, your dimmer switch still works.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #29
EmTea
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to EmTea

nice tut, I love LEDs. I'm going to do this on my 99 Blazer. I was looking around the site you mentions I seach'd the site for *edit- i searched for the wrong thing* and twist stytle bulbs. I found the T1 (idiot) bulbs but never found the *edit- i searched for the wrong thing* style bulbs.
Also may I suggest, for just regular LEDs (no bubls and whatnot) try LSDiodes.com

Ok, last edit I hope.
I know you said ur camera sucked but that one pick with the bright blue dot on it is that the PDNR123 display above the colum? Also for some better pics, try turning ur macro mode on.

Last edited by EmTea; 03-19-2005 at 01:56 PM.
EmTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #30
dmbrisket 51
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to dmbrisket 51

ok, i have a 98 pu, it has the all digital display, can i change that color or does that need to stay the turquois color?
dmbrisket 51 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info