Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #1
ozyoiy
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to ozyoiy Send a message via Yahoo to ozyoiy
Angry Brake pad light

Hi All,
Im new to this forum (B.T.W.).
We used to have a 86 323 years ago and recently i bought my wife a 98 328i E-46, becuse we liked the last one so mutch.
We took it for a full service when we bought it just so we could be sure everythink was fine on the car,The dealer rang and told me it needed new front brake pads and said it will be a additionall $260.(what a joke i thought $260 for pads) i said not at this stage as we just bought the car and rego, insurance ,service ect,we had allready spent enough.I said ill wait till the light comes on.
Ok so the light came on 3 days ago and I went straight out and bought pads and changed them myself(changed a thousand pads over the years).But the light is still on..does some one know how to reset it??.
or do i have to take it to the dealer and pay the rip off guy $200 to plug a machine into it and push the button..
Ive read all the posts on brakes i can find and have tried the turning the car on but not starting it for 30 seconds ,1 minute and 5 mins..even tried leaving it for 10 mins...pulled the brake fuse with the moter running and with the ignition off..light is still on..
i allso read alot of people replace the senser..but the senser would have hardly made contact with the roter..the car was hardly driven since the light was activated...any ideas??
Thanks in advance guys and gurls..
Oz
ozyoiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
crash8168
AF Enthusiast

Re: Brake pad light

You have to replace the brake pad sensor with the pads. You turn the ignition on after replacing the sensor and wait the light will go out. The sensor is a wire that is cut when the pads wear down to replacement time. So when the light comes on the sensor is already an open circuit.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:46 AM   #3
EdgePerformance
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EdgePerformance Send a message via MSN to EdgePerformance Send a message via Yahoo to EdgePerformance
Re: Brake pad light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyoiy
Hi All,
Im new to this forum (B.T.W.).
We used to have a 86 323 years ago and recently i bought my wife a 98 328i E-46, becuse we liked the last one so mutch.
We took it for a full service when we bought it just so we could be sure everythink was fine on the car,The dealer rang and told me it needed new front brake pads and said it will be a additionall $260.(what a joke i thought $260 for pads) i said not at this stage as we just bought the car and rego, insurance ,service ect,we had allready spent enough.I said ill wait till the light comes on.
Ok so the light came on 3 days ago and I went straight out and bought pads and changed them myself(changed a thousand pads over the years).But the light is still on..does some one know how to reset it??.
or do i have to take it to the dealer and pay the rip off guy $200 to plug a machine into it and push the button..
Ive read all the posts on brakes i can find and have tried the turning the car on but not starting it for 30 seconds ,1 minute and 5 mins..even tried leaving it for 10 mins...pulled the brake fuse with the moter running and with the ignition off..light is still on..
i allso read alot of people replace the senser..but the senser would have hardly made contact with the roter..the car was hardly driven since the light was activated...any ideas??
Thanks in advance guys and gurls..
Oz

Like the other gentleman said you have to change the brake wear sensors, or may simply only be the sensors got damp in rain and were tripped which is common on most OBDII compliant cars I have come across. All you need is to get an OBDII comliant reset tool from a seller on EBay.com, Ebay.co.uk, or EBay.de, or you can get one from bavauto.com, or BMPD.com as well. They range around $40-$120+ US Dollars depending on where you go!

Sincerely,

Jared E. Seymour
EdgePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series