Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #1
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

engine swap legality...

Alright I'll be on the phone with my DMV soon about this and the particulars that affect me and anyone who lives in maine on this forum, but I just thought I would start a thread about this.

Many of the sites I have visited both recently and in the past have said that an SR20 will usually pass smog tests (even CA, but not always). Visibly the cars usually fail because of clearence issues the AIV isn't installed. The engine, as many have said, also isn't legal because it's not on the EPA's approved engines list.

Now I'm wondering...if motorex can import GTRs and GTS-Ts that are 100% legal I don't understand why an RB26DETT or RB25DET wouldn't be legal in the states. Maybe you would have to pass some tests to get the SR or CA legal, but I'm sure there is a way to get them approved...at least on a single engine basis.

BTW, Maine doesn't have smog testing so that isn't the problem at all. I was merely curious as to how easy it would be to make the engine that is already here in a fwd n/a application (sentra) legal in rwd turbo applications.

Last edited by klohiq; 09-17-2003 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:29 AM   #2
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
the GTR's were crash tested and the vehicles were certified road going vehicles for the USA, their engines also go through a few modifications, some I don't even know and they won't say. I believe they get some new emissions equipment, OBD-II, and a slew of other shit.

if your RB had all the same shit done to it technically I guess it would be a legal engine now, but the SR is not.

why can't you just accept that it is not a legal engine swap, the engine never came in a car to the USA and therefore has never been tested or approved..... its quite simple
Old 09-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
mynismo
yada yada yada

Send a message via AIM to mynismo
here's the downlow

sr20's are illegal
rb20's are illegal
rb25's are illegal
rb26's are illegal
etc.

any engine not put in a car produced in the states is illegal period. it is also illegal to put an engine into a car that is older than the car (yea, i might have a lil probs with the 71 small block in my 85 z... ).

ok now we got passed the legalities.

now when you go to test, at least in ohio, no one looks at your engine. i could have some 2000hp engine from japan under the hood that is highly illegal but they would never know, and to put it frankly i don't think they care. all they check for is the catalytic convertor.

if you can get the cars to pass emissions without them looking under the hood, good for you, but they are technically still illegal. it seems no one gives a shit anymore because so many people are doing it.

there are companies that import skylines and etc. and them make them smog legal. that's a seperate thing all to itself. they import them, then spend about 2 g's making it smog legal and then getting certification with the state to make sure it is technically "legal"

i believe you can do the same thing when swapping in an sr20, go get it legalized, but it costs a couple g's and no one ever does it.

with stock motors, an sr20 WILL NOT PASS EMISSIONS. no matter what anyone tells you they are wrong. rb20's will also not pass. what you can do to get around it is put a full tank of 110 octane in and drive it very hard for a good 30-40 min to get rid of all the chemicals in the engine that make the emissions. you will pass if you do that. same thing with rb.

with the rb25's and rb26's, they were made at a time in japan when they had to update their emission standards, so they WILL pass in u.s., completely stock.

hope this answered your question

edit: also, if for some reason you do not pass, they aren't going to take away your car or anything like that. they will recommend to repair whatever is wrong. if you go and do that, show them the receipts (of at least $200 or more) and it still doesn't pass, they will still let you get your plates and you will be exempt from emissions for that 2-yr period.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
SR20DETpower
Banned

damn its nice not having emissions in Florida anymore......

but just cause nobody checks it, it still is 50 state illegal to remove emissions equiptment from cars that have it..... o2 sensors, cats etc..
all states have diff rules on their emissions and different accepted levels of exhaust gasses.

also their are rumors that a copper can f with you, take a look at your engine, take pics whatever, and use this against you. Bottom line if this happens, hopefully u kept your KA... then you can swap it back in, go get it inspected, say FU copper its legal now, go home, but back in your SR lol..... end of dispute until next time. Most of these stories are from Cali though.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:58 PM   #5
Soyo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Soyo
no emissions or inspections or anything in kansas! all I do is go to the capital building, make sure they have the right car, address, phone #, etc. and they give me tags and registratoin, I love it... cept winter, snow is gay
HKS Blow-Off Valve, Stainless brake and clutch lines
Old 09-17-2003, 04:31 PM   #6
mynismo
yada yada yada

Send a message via AIM to mynismo
Re: engine swap legality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
also their are rumors that a copper can f with you, take a look at your engine, take pics whatever, and use this against you. Bottom line if this happens, hopefully u kept your KA... then you can swap it back in, go get it inspected, say FU copper its legal now, go home, but back in your SR lol..... end of dispute until next time. Most of these stories are from Cali though.
he would have to have a warrent to search your car.

he will definately not do that unless he has a personal vendeta against you. even then.... most cops are car guys so they really dont care.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
SR20DETpower
Banned

yeah but if they see you speeding, street racing etc... technically if they want to be dicks they have probably cause to look at your engine....

I just always act respectful to cops, do what they ask, and get them away as quick as possible... start being an ass to them and they start seeing what they can fine you for......
Old 09-17-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
Shiftlock
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
yeah but if they see you speeding, street racing etc... technically if they want to be dicks they have probably cause to look at your engine....

I just always act respectful to cops, do what they ask, and get them away as quick as possible... start being an ass to them and they start seeing what they can fine you for......
That's your best bet,do all the tricks to please the cops,do what they say,and don't act like an ass.That can get you off with warnings instead of tickets.But some cops pull people over just to question them,though this isn't real common,sometimes they will do so.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
SR20DETpower
Banned

most cop nazi's I hear about are in California were they crack down hard on modifications because they have so many laws on it and emissions restrictions.... they hear an exhaust they might pull you over just to see what your doing and what you got....

they see a turbocharger or some shit they might get suspicious....

if you have a slight knowledge of cars you might know that a 240sx doesn't come with a turbo......
Old 09-17-2003, 10:44 PM   #10
dekand
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to dekand
i think everyone needs to just chill on the whole legality thing, sr swaps have been done for a very long time now and whens the last time somone came on the boards complaining about not being able to drive cuz they failed inspection? seriously.

when you do the swap, then worry about it... i don't think it will be "THAT" big of a deal ... im putting in an rb25det so we'll see what happens, i live in Texas and there are plenty of sr20'd 240's round here, so if all else fails i'll just ask some of those guys what they do.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:05 PM   #11
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

if rb25 and rb26 pass shouldnt most s14 and s15 pass at least? especially s15 since it is a newer engine than most rb26 or rb25s you'll get (most are from r32 and r33, not r34 TMK).

maybe ill just do the swap and say fuck you if anyone has a problem...my current mechanic is cool so i bet he wont say anything as long as im not removing the cat or something stupid...
Old 09-18-2003, 02:29 AM   #12
240sxNewbie
AF Newbie

Well i'm planning on doing the swap and i live in cali.. but where i live you only have to get teh car smoged once.. when you buy it.. then if you sell it the new buyer has to smog it.. and there are no inspections so the only thing that could happen is a cop pulling me over and poping my hood.. and 95% of the cops here are cool.. like the time i was coming home from working a graveyard shift and was 1/2 asleep about 2 miles from my house a cop clocked me doing 75 in a 55 waved out his window telling me to slow down i never saw him.. so he followed me and hit his lights asked me what i was doing where i was going and where i worked and asked if i saw him... i told him no.. and he just told me to drive a little slower and go home and get some sleep
Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #13
SmogSUX
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxNewbie
Well i'm planning on doing the swap and i live in cali.. but where i live you only have to get teh car smoged once.. when you buy it.. then if you sell it the new buyer has to smog it.. and there are no inspections so the only thing that could happen is a cop pulling me over and poping my hood.. and 95% of the cops here are cool.. like the time i was coming home from working a graveyard shift and was 1/2 asleep about 2 miles from my house a cop clocked me doing 75 in a 55 waved out his window telling me to slow down i never saw him.. so he followed me and hit his lights asked me what i was doing where i was going and where i worked and asked if i saw him... i told him no.. and he just told me to drive a little slower and go home and get some sleep
holy.........dude where the hell do u live??? - i live in yuba city( bout 1 hr away from sac) and i gotta get my stuff smogged all the time!....im thinking about moving so..if u really only gotta do that once..ill convince my dad to move a wee bit closer to where u live
Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
P*villetuner
AF Newbie

ya cali really sucks when it comes to smogging shit...i was gonna build a drifter but the sr20 illegal then so are the rb's. so i went to talk to the local Police to see what they look for to pull over and check out tuners to see what they're runnen.. they (as in 4 diff. cops and my cousin) told me they look for body mods and strait through exaust..most will pull you over just for that....you can get a sr or rb in your 240 but keep a low profile and sleeper look (i.e. no srait exaust) then find the back roads for play time....basically keep the DRIVING legal and find the right place to play and you wont get caught
Old 03-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Sanchi
Macadamia Nut Cookies

Send a message via AIM to Sanchi

Well if you get pulled over then you deserver to get pulled over. Having a modified car is not the end of the world. If you Do stupid ass shit on the Road then I hope they pull you over and impound your car. Dum asses Street racing give every one a bad name. Don't do it, if all these "Fast and the Retarded" didnt street race and kill everyone around them the cops would not even think about pulling a modded car over for questioning... take it to the track! Smog is a non issue, if your gonna swap your shit you should already know a good smog shop.

We run KA-T's and we never get pulled over, cause we don't drive like retards. Drive smart and be safe!!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX