Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
cepon3
AF Newbie

69' Rr

Whats up people.. this is my very first post here.. i am 20 years old and am currently rebuilding A 69' RoadRunner 383 4spd. i have some questions since all my friends are into tuners they arent much help..

I have a holley double pump carubuerator with vacuum secondaries. my uncle says it needs to be rebuilt. does it pay to have it be rebuilt or should i just buy a new one with mechanical secondaries?

I am also looking for new rims.. the car has 15'' Cragar ss on them now but they need to go.. i was wondering what the spacing on this car is because it is extremely hard to find anything that will fit..

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions any help would be greatly appreciated..

i am new to this so please bare with me.. my lingo isnt top notch yet..

thanks,
Anthony
cepon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 69' Rr

There are many different kinds of Holley carbs. It would be great if you could give us the Holley carb model number. It should be stamped on the choke housing. Look for 4 numbers.

But in general, you will get better street driven performance with a vacuum secondary carb. For the 'square bore ' carb, where all 4 barrels are the same diameter, the mechanical secondaries are generally a race - only component and can produce irritating performance issues on the street, so IMO stick with what you have.

There are mechanical secondary 'spread bore' carbs, (where the secondaries are much bigger than the primary barrels) but these were designed with different parameters in mind and are ok for the street. But this is why it's helpful for us to have the carb number to give you the right advice.

Also, the Holley carbs are very 'tuneable' once you understand how they work and what can be done with them. I would suggest to pick up a book on Holley carb rebuilding and tuning. I have a HP Book for this and it's great.

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=3771
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
cepon3
AF Newbie

thank you very mcuh for the reply.. i will definately check the carb for the 4 digit#..

i am also going to need new engine gaskets , belts, and tubes.. if you know any websites this will help me a great deal.

also a question about my rims.. the cragar ss's that i have on the car now have rust and some calcium deposits, if i sand this down do you guys think they might be salvageable? i am sanding down the body anyway prepping for a paint job.

my fiber glass hood has a crack in it due to an accident from over 20 years ago.. is there any way to fix this or should i scrap it and get a new hood?

sorry for all the questions.. this car is quickly becoming my baby and i wanna do everything right the first time..

thanks in advance
anthony
cepon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
PeteRR
AF Regular

It's hard to beat Summit Racing for engine parts. Take a look at Ford Racings wheels they use on modern Mustangs. I'm running Bullitt Mustang wheels on my '68 RR.

If you can find a local who does fiberglas work, take the hood to them to see if it's salvageable. If not there are companies online who'll sell you a replacement.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner
451 Stroker + Keisler 5-Speed OD manual trans
PeteRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
akire95
AF Newbie

I've got a '69 Ply RR with a non-oringinal 383 ci motor with a 2468130 casting number. Block in car now is date coded 9/20/65. There is a "-4" after the casting. Looking for info as to it's meaning.

Also, the same casting number is repeated on the passenger side block just below the head. There is " L L " leters casted into the block. I've been to a few decoding web sites but don't see any references to what " L L " letters.

Also, 4-spd tranny is original as VIN stamped in place but has "H4 99129" casting data. Any help appreciated.....
akire95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Welcome to AF.
You may get a better response to your question if you start a new thread on the issue rather than attaching your new topic to an old thread
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
kamkuda
AF Newbie

you can also go to Moparts.com It is a mopar site with loads of experience too
kamkuda is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion