Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
dazzlingfem
AF Newbie

Question Mechanical choices.....

So, I got rather hosed due to inexperience on buying used vehicles.. I thought I covered my bases, but apparently I skipped a couple. I did my research, but obviously not enough until it was too late. I know this is the worst engine in history, and I'm tired of being told "it's junk, get rid of it." I'm stuck with it, and I like the car. I'm trying to look at the bright side, and willing to fix it up.

It's a 2003 Sebring Convertible, with the dreaded 2.7L engine and 165K miles. I don't believe it's been properly maintained and I'm almost positive it has crap oil in it. There is something wrong with either the lifters, the fuel injectors, needs a timing chain kit, possible valve issues or even the oil pump. (It's a rhythmic tick that doesn't happen until it's warmed up but can be intermittent at times. Didn't happen until the minute I drove off the lot and filled it with gas. Liquid band-aid? or bad gas?) The engine still has good HP as well.. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it gone through more thoroughly, and get an oil change, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be talked into spending unnecessary money .. Christmas time ..always seems to bring out the worst in some people.

So my question is: Would it make more sense in the long run to replace the engine that is likely sludge-infested from lack of maintenance and long sitting periods, as well as repair whatever else is worn? Or would it be OK to just repair the other parts that are worn and let the engine live out it's life? Or would it be too hard on the newer parts? I'm a single mom/student working 2 jobs to get by, I really need this car to last me just a couple years, but would love longer since I know it's going to cost quite a bit either way. It's in awesome condition as far as body. I hope to keep it as a summer 'to the beach' car when I am able to afford a different vehicle. . .

Please, positive, helpful input only. Thank you
dazzlingfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Mechanical choices.....

If you really think there's sludge in it, or some evidence points that direction, I'd start by substituting 2-3 quarts of engine oil with transmission fluid, get the engine up to operating temperature with the tranny fluid/oil combination, let the engine idle for maybe 10 minutes. Drain the oil out and replace with fresh engine oil and a filter and see if the engine sounds any better. The transmission fluid is pretty effective at dissolving sludge and cleaning out hydraulic lifters (which I'm not sure if your engine uses or not).

You should also have the compression checked on all cylinders to make sure they are all pretty close to the same.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
dazzlingfem
AF Newbie

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. Much appreciative. I know that engine flushes aren't recommended for higher mileage cars because it can dislodge chunks of sludge and get it caught in the ridiculously small passageways leading to engine failure. You don't think the Lucas stuff would do that, but rather dissolve more of it? ..A lot of people I know use Lucas Trans. Fluid, but I've also been told it was more of a way to just hide the sounds. Would I need to do it on a regular basis, and if so how often would you think?
dazzlingfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I made no mention of Lucas, just transmission fluid. No point, in my mind, spending extra money on Lucas since all you're going to do is recycle the fluid once it dissolves the sludge, if in fact that's what's causing the issue.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote