Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
mijulian
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mijulian
Engine ticking and harsh metalic sound

Hi to all:
This is my first post in this forum and here it goes:
First, when I start the truck and get going, I hear a metalic sound and it gets worse when I press the gas pedal, is very hard to describe it, lasts for about 3 or four minutes and then it goes way, heard the same sound the other day when I was besides a Kia Spectra car.
Second, the ticking sound starts as soon as i turn on the ignition and it gets louder as the engine warms up and remains, suspect a lifter/valve problem here.
When I went to my second oil change at the dealer, i told them about this two problems, as for the ticking was told it was the fuel injectors making this noise and as for the other sound they told me that the truck was road tested, but when I got the paper work back, it showed the same mileage in and out, 1626. Did not have the time to fight it that day, but I am going this Memorial Day holiday and spend the whole day if I have to and get this resolved and I have a case open with Kia America already.
If anybody has either or both this problems, please advise and the same goes if anybody has a solution.
Thanks

Julian
mijulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:35 AM   #2
Littleosca
AF Newbie

Question Strange Sound?

Here is somthing I read on another Sorento site,hope you find this helpful.
"I have the same problem. I brought it to the dealer and described the problem. The idiots took is out and beat the crap out of it. They said I had a bad differential and it was making noise so they replaced the diff. Well, i put it up on my lift and listened to what was going on.. the transfer case is now making noise since they took the car out for their little "beater". So now a new transfer case has been ordered. the car still makes the thump. You can't trust anyone these days. the transfer case was fine until I got the car back from the dealer. Anyway, I have a feeling it is the upper rear contol arm bushings flexing when the brakes are applied. I'm going to look into it a littel more once the idiots at the dealer replace the transfer case."
Littleosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: Engine ticking and harsh metalic sound

every four cylinder I've owned has had a tick. all three of them. i don't remember off hand what it is, but I remember when I did know that it is normal and supposed to be there.

Don't know about the metalic sound... but I do know the brakes tend to grind from rust/condensation for the first few minutes I'm driving the car in the morning with my spectra and could be the problem described above. I'm not sure if this is cheap manufacturing or if the previous owner of my car left the Ebrake up and fried the rear. I'll halfta take a look at it someday...
Old 06-17-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
fastkia
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to fastkia

I'm sure you are probably hearing lifter noise. If you are, be sure to have all your previous oil change receipts handy and bring it to your local dealer. let them know what you hear. More than likely (if you have an aftermarket oil filter) they will tell you that that's the problem the filter you're using is not the recommended one for your vehicle so agree and pay for a genuine kia oil change and give it about 500 miles if the noise is not gone or has become less notice take it back and complaint again.

by the way they only come in 6cyl in the U.S. hehe
fastkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
cbeck
AF Regular

oops.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
fastkia
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to fastkia

I was just being silly but it's true only gas v6
fastkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:10 AM   #7
Wild1
AF Regular

Is the noise still there?
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
mijulian
AF Newbie

Hi wild1:
Yes, the noise is still there but there is a story to it:
It wa pinpointed to the catalitic converter heat shield, is loose and the way they try to fix it it is as follows:
After a short drive test with the Service Manager he had a so called tech. to crawl under the truck, mind you, parked in the lot and pressing the gas pedal while holding down the brake to give it gas the tech started banging on the underside of the truck until he hit the Cat. Converter and banged the heat shield cover back into place, the sound went awy like for about 2 days and now is back.
I am going to call him and let him know this, and the next time I go for a oil change, I will demand a new Cat. Converter or at least, have the truck up in a lift and see what's going on with the heat shield, I know now is not a serious thing and besides being annoyed by this vibration is not serious and have a little peace of mind, of course the radio is full blast so I do not hear this ugly noise.
Will keep you guys informed.

Julian
Old 08-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
Wild1
AF Regular

The gas & brake technique is called power braking. You don't want to do it for more than 5 seconds or the fluid will get really hot. It is good for checking torque converter flexplate vibrations as well as stall speed. When done properly in Drive or Reverse it should stall between 2300 - 2600 RPM.

The noise went away which is interesting when they readjusted the heat shield. That is a hot sucker if you've ever moved one after it was driven. They might ask you to wait a bit for it to cool down, then they could really get in there and clearance the shield.

Did the noise occur over bumps?

By the way, what city are you in. I may be able to find a good dealer to help.
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
mijulian
AF Newbie

wild1:
I am in Miami, Florida.
The reson I have not gone to another dealer, is because this one is the one I bought the truck from and I want them to fixed to my satisfaction before I go to another one.
I appreciatte you offer, let's see wich one you mention because I have another one in my list, more closer and convenient.
no it doesn't occur over bumps at all, only when cold start it.
Thanks, Julian

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento