Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:39 AM   #1
Midi_Amp
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Midi_Amp
Question If engines are equally rated, then what?

My dad want to buy a new car for the family, and as usual, he catalogue choices based on price. For around US$ 15.000,00 we have choices of:

Daihatsu Xenia / Toyota Avanza (mid-size mpv): 1.3L: 86Bhp
Honda Fit/Jazz: 1.3L 83Bhp
Chevrolet Aveo: 1.5L 86Bhp (exact number forgot, estimate only)

Of the 3, i personally choose the Fit (foldable seats, cute styling). But I'm curious about power numbers. A friend of mine told me that if engine are equally rated, look for the bore and stroke figures... and I forgot what follows...

A Toyota Unser has 1.8L rated at 88 Bhp, isn't that somewhat equal to Daihatsu's 1.3L engine rated at 86 Bhp... but at 0.5L disadvantage? How to make of this number games?
Midi_Amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
Re: If engines are equally rated, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Amp
My dad want to buy a new car for the family, and as usual, he catalogue choices based on price. For around US$ 15.000,00 we have choices of:

Daihatsu Xenia / Toyota Avanza (mid-size mpv): 1.3L: 86Bhp
Honda Fit/Jazz: 1.3L 83Bhp
Chevrolet Aveo: 1.5L 86Bhp (exact number forgot, estimate only)

Of the 3, i personally choose the Fit (foldable seats, cute styling). But I'm curious about power numbers. A friend of mine told me that if engine are equally rated, look for the bore and stroke figures... and I forgot what follows...

A Toyota Unser has 1.8L rated at 88 Bhp, isn't that somewhat equal to Daihatsu's 1.3L engine rated at 86 Bhp... but at 0.5L disadvantage? How to make of this number games?
comparing the vehicles' performance solely on engine output figures would be a mistake - go test drive all of them, then make up your mind.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
Evil Result
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Evil Result
Usually engines with a higher displacement have a higher torque output potential. But with lower displacement if you have a lead foot gas milage shoulden't go down as much as a higher displacement engine.

weight of car gearing, number of gears all changes the power your gonna feel.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Result
...persuit...
fyi - pursuit.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Midi_Amp
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Midi_Amp
Re: Re: If engines are equally rated, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike1031
comparing the vehicles' performance solely on engine output figures would be a mistake - go test drive all of them, then make up your mind.
That would be the logical thing to do. The fact that I'm not a gearhead, I just based my experience on weight to power ratio, and the Daihatsu made Toyota cars is off the list hands down (1.4 tons for 86 Bhp). The Chevy feels nice engine wise, but the suspension felt a bit floaty. The Fit feels firmer although sometimes hard... But because I don't understand technical things, my selection would be so much biased... no probs there but still just curious about the technical side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Result
Usually engines with a higher displacement have a higher torque output potential. But with lower displacement if you have a lead foot gas milage shoulden't go down as much as a higher displacement engine.

weight of car gearing, number of gears all changes the power your gonna feel.
That would explain some bits... thanks

I'm just curious about my friends statement, that his Toyota Unser would, could and should (a very confident guy) smoke any engine which has similar output because his bore and stroke figure is "better".

So, is it save to assume that larger displaced engine with similar output than the smaller displaced engine is better?
Midi_Amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
Steel
AF Fanatic

when he means his bxs is better, he means he has more of one and/or the other. An increase in eaither means an increase in displacement. An increase in displacement means a wider torque curve. The wider curve has the advantage that the useable power is down lower in the RPM range which is less stressful for the engine, and generallly eaiser to drive. 86 horsepower can make things kinda hairy when you need to get onto a real busy freeway going at high speeds.

My personal bias would be to go for a VW Golf TDI (turbo diesel injection). a bit more displacement at 1.9 liter, and have a significantly longer stroke to take advantage of diesel engine dynamics, which produces generally more torque than horsepower. After all, horsepower is merely a function of torque

Anyway, i gotta quit going on offshoots here. So yes, the Diesel Golf for only a little bit more would be a better deal in the long run in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
Steel
AF Fanatic

I'm sorry, that totally didnt answer your question.. I think the best advice is to just go drive the three choices for a while, and figure which one you like best.