Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
View Poll Results: HOw often do you drive your classic?
Daily 9 45.00%
Weekly 9 45.00%
Once a month 1 5.00%
Very little 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
db6
AF Regular

Exclamation How often do you drive your classic?

WHat do you think, should classics be preserved and just looked at or driven like they were designed to?
db6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

There is no use of having a classic, or any car for that matter, and not driving it. Like you said, they were designed to be driven. Even if you have a very rare and expensive vehicle, it needs to be driven sometimes. I can't say how much I drive my classic because it is being restored right now, and also, it will only be driven in the summer. But I voted weekly because hopefully that is how much I will be driving it when the restoration is completed.

My Webshots
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

Definitly driven, and as hard as you can without risking a total write off, but even thats not that bad. One of the people who I was most impressed with were the two guys from NZ who brought their like 1930's Alfa spyder here for Targa Newfoundland. It's one of I think only 3 in the world and it's worth around $1,000,000. And yet they brought it half way around the globe to race it on public, and very unkept rural roads.

Now thats passion.

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
CAptynCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
db6
AF Regular

My mechanic owns a 1933 Aston Martin Le Mans Long chasis, of which only 15 were ever built and 8 are know to be still arround, and he drives it almost daily, and not like an old lady if you know what I mean. Whenever I go for lunch with the guy in the aston i cant hide the grin of my face!
db6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33 AM   #5
Kobal
AF Newbie

I drove my '69 Camaro every day (it was my only car) until I had to sell it because I couldn't afford to fix it anymore. It's the price you pay, but it's definitely worth it. I will never own a trailer/garage queen. When I get my hands on a '68 Roadrunner, I'll be doing the restoration myself (no man lets another rebuild his car), and I'll most likely sell my current driver to finish it. Fix shit when it breaks, and drive your cars till they fall apart.

Automobiles were never meant to rot in garages or museums, especially not fast ones.
Kobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
LadyLuke
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LadyLuke
Quote:
Originally posted by Kobal
I drove my '69 Camaro every day (it was my only car) until I had to sell it because I couldn't afford to fix it anymore. It's the price you pay, but it's definitely worth it. I will never own a trailer/garage queen. When I get my hands on a '68 Roadrunner, I'll be doing the restoration myself (no man lets another rebuild his car), and I'll most likely sell my current driver to finish it. Fix shit when it breaks, and drive your cars till they fall apart.

Automobiles were never meant to rot in garages or museums, especially not fast ones.
TRUE DAT

Rest In Peace Luke.
LadyLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #7
Dave ESPI
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dave ESPI Send a message via Yahoo to Dave ESPI
Talking Even my grand pa takes his wife fer a ride on occasion...

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it should be preserved in pristine condition for " Monetary or postarity reasons".

I bought a decent condition 1966 Landau Thunderbird with the shear intent of stripping it of all the crap, re doing it as a hot rod.

There was 37,000 + 1966 TOWN LANDAU thunderbirds made.

In a sea of medicracy and "nice" vintige cars that are all squeaky clean and "showroom" , I want one to standout.

Polish Chrome? ......... not in my future. Some people are so anal about Bling Bling under the hood, that they forget to Drive the cars and they simply are " Garage Furnature."

nope. Road dirt, grime and the sound of the wind snapping on my shirtsleeve... thats what is Nostalgic about Classic Cars.......

Seeing them on the road as a rarity among Honda Accords, Pimped out Rice wagons, and Chevy Cavaliers.... etc etc.

Presently, its weekly, or sparaticly fer a few days at a time.

Daily fer me once restoration is done this summer

but living in Northeast, it gets stored in November till April unless there is a nice day and I want to ride around on clean NON salted roads fer an hour or so.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
killasoundz
AF Regular

i put 150+ miles a day on my car and it had 361k on the stock engine. (still using the stock head) only maintenace was tune-eps and oil changes. no rebuild. i love it. but now moved on to performance.

ww.classic-celica.com
killasoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:06 PM   #9
rbohm
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to rbohm
Cool

i drive my falcon just about every day. i also drive crosscountry and back and pull a small trailer as well. cars were built to be driven, and while some people like garage or trailer queens, i dont. i also am of the opinion that if you dont like something out of the box, modify it. there are very few cars that i would not modify. check my sig and you will find two classic cars, and one 80's car. nothing new.

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 02:08 AM   #10
highvoltage0823
AF Newbie

I drive my '69 VW Bug every day, and the 35-year old motor runs like a champ, although it could use a new (much larger) one in the future.
highvoltage0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
FAPhoenix
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to FAPhoenix
Every day pretty much from April 1 to September 21st. 1968 Firebird 350HO, its fun When I'm done with putting an OD tranny in and my 400 build it will be even more fun. Its just an experiance to drive one of these cars. You get waves from people, the head nod. Not to mention the sound. Mmmmm, I think I'm going to go for a drive.
FAPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote