Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
moraldk325
AF Newbie

Losing power on hills

Hi, everyone. New here, so if this question has already been answered, I apologize.
I have a 93 s10 blazer, 4.3 litre 'W', 4 door, 4wd Automatic Transmission. Bought it early this year, and it had 146,000 on it, and I now have 153,000 on it.
Runs and starts great, but loses power on hills at highway speeds. When you kick the gas a bit, it will downshift and chug up the hill at about 2500rpms. Seems to shift just fine any other time. No clunking or hard shifts.
Have replaced cpi unit (but not nut kit), new cap, rotor, and plug wires and plugs, new tranny filter and fluid.
Oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. Typical oil pressure around 50lbs or up.
I am wondering if it could be vacuum issue, as I also hear a vacuum leak in my heater controls, or maybe the catalytic converter? Or is this normal?? No check engine light, no odd noises. 4wd works great, (encoder motor, all switches, actuator, and cable new) and it will climb hills all day in the woods and mud at slower speeds...just seems to be highway speeds that cause this.
HELP!
It's a great rig in great condition, and I want to keep it forever!
moraldk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
stanbell
AF Newbie

Re: Losing power on hills

could be the converter, hif the temp is rising than check it out
stanbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldk325 View Post
Hi, everyone. New here, so if this question has already been answered, I apologize.
I have a 93 s10 blazer, 4.3 litre 'W', 4 door, 4wd Automatic Transmission. Bought it early this year, and it had 146,000 on it, and I now have 153,000 on it.
Runs and starts great, but loses power on hills at highway speeds. When you kick the gas a bit, it will downshift and chug up the hill at about 2500rpms. Seems to shift just fine any other time. No clunking or hard shifts.
Have replaced cpi unit (but not nut kit), new cap, rotor, and plug wires and plugs, new tranny filter and fluid.
Oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. Typical oil pressure around 50lbs or up.
I am wondering if it could be vacuum issue, as I also hear a vacuum leak in my heater controls, or maybe the catalytic converter? Or is this normal?? No check engine light, no odd noises. 4wd works great, (encoder motor, all switches, actuator, and cable new) and it will climb hills all day in the woods and mud at slower speeds...just seems to be highway speeds that cause this.
HELP!
It's a great rig in great condition, and I want to keep it forever!
To ckeck for restricted exhaust hook a vacuum gauge to engine and see if vacuum at 2K is higher or lower that at idle
If lower you have restricted exhaust.
Post back gauge readings.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
moraldk325
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
To ckeck for restricted exhaust hook a vacuum gauge to engine and see if vacuum at 2K is higher or lower that at idle
If lower you have restricted exhaust.
Post back gauge readings.
Dumb question: Should I check it at the vacuum line cluster at the back of the intake, or somewhere else?
And, I greatly appreciate the input!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldk325 View Post
Dumb question: Should I check it at the vacuum line cluster at the back of the intake, or somewhere else?
And, I greatly appreciate the input!
Any place that has good engine/intake vacuum.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
moraldk325
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
Any place that has good engine/intake vacuum.
Great....will borrow (or buy) a guage tomorrow and test it out and post readings at idle and 2K!