Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:25 AM   #61
TheLogikal1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TheLogikal1
Quote:
Originally posted by friday86
Well... okay then, so how fast would a SR-T in a 92 240SX hit in 1/4 mile? Would a KA-T be faster than the SR-T?
dude, that is a really vague question. give us some more details bro

1994 lexus sc300 (dead)
tein cs
kenwood flip out 7'' screen

1995 Nissan 240sx 5 speed (dead)
GP Sports Spec-D exhaust
Custom Carbon Fiber Intake
17'' ricer wheels in Kumhos

hahaha stole this pose off of koguchi...my shirt makes me look fat...ahaha
Old 06-24-2003, 03:57 PM   #62
S14Kyle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to S14Kyle
Quote:
Well... okay then, so how fast would a SR-T in a 92 240SX hit in 1/4 mile? Would a KA-T be faster than the SR-T?
Alright, it seems to me that you understand, so I'll answer your question...

The SR20DET (the engine that comes in the "Silvia" {the real name of the 240SX} in japan), stock would lose to a KA24DE-T stock, with the same equipment that is used on the turbos on an SR20DET, such as the turbo, the intercooler, along with other things. See, the KA24DE does not COME with a turbo, ANYWHERE. People add a turbo to the KA24DE and add a "T" to the end to represent this fact.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #63
I want a 240sx
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to I want a 240sx Send a message via Yahoo to I want a 240sx
S13 Black Top SR20DET is the engine i was thinking of putting in a 97+ US 240sx. Would this work???? Also after this i was going to turbo charge it. Would this overdo it or it would be fine?? Sorry am a car noob hoping to learn more about cars here
Old 06-24-2003, 10:42 PM   #64
Suislide
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by I want a 240sx
S13 Black Top SR20DET is the engine i was thinking of putting in a 97+ US 240sx. Would this work???? Also after this i was going to turbo charge it. Would this overdo it or it would be fine?? Sorry am a car noob hoping to learn more about cars here
oh...my....god...

read the rest of this FAQ, as well as every other shred of Silvia/240SX/Sr20DET knowledge you can find ASAP.

first of all, any SR20DET will fit into any US 240SX. the S13 blacktop is exactly the same as the red-top, so if the red top fits, the black top fits.

and here's the biggie...are you ready?...THE SR20DET IS ALREADY TURBOCHARGED!!! do you see the "T" on the end of the engine code? that stands for "turbo". please read up as much as possible before starting this project if that's the limit of your knowledge. if you meant UPGRADING the turbo, then that's a different story.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:04 PM   #65
friday86
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to friday86
Ahhh... Okay, thanks ya'll.

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX

1of9
Old 06-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #66
friday86
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to friday86
So which would you consider? KA-T or SR-T? Or RB25DET?

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX

1of9
Old 06-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #67
Suislide
AF Fanatic

Quote:
So which would you consider? KA-T or SR-T? Or RB25DET?
questions like these go in the "240SX FAQ Suggestion Box" thread, not in the FAQ itself.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:37 PM   #68
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
Dunno if this has been covered:

Putting a redtop SR into a 91-94 S13, will you be able to re-use your ac components?
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Old 06-25-2003, 12:00 AM   #69
Suislide
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliquer
Dunno if this has been covered:

Putting a redtop SR into a 91-94 S13, will you be able to re-use your ac components?
can you clarify that a bit?

GUYS! PLEASE POST QUESTIONS IN THE SUGGESTION BOX! that's what it's there for. questions will be asked and answered and the good answers will be moved here. thanks.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:36 AM   #70
ringthree
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ringthree
I would like to add another company that imports sr20's and rb's. They also import a ton of other engines for other cars.

http://www.tpautomotive.com/
Old 07-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #71
too-cool-2
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to too-cool-2
Quote:
Originally posted by ringthree
I would like to add another company that imports sr20's and rb's. They also import a ton of other engines for other cars.

http://www.tpautomotive.com/
they even sell the holy grail of 240sx's, a AWD RB26DETT mated to a RWD RB25DET Transmission, allowing you to use the rb26 in a 240.

it sells for like $4900

Scooby 00 2.5RS
Old 07-15-2003, 05:09 PM   #72
ghostchild316
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ghostchild316
This is good for n00bies especially for the ones that plan on turbocharging a SR20DET after doing the swap

What is a turbo?
- Essentially a turbo is an exhaust driven air compressor.

What does a turbo do?

- A turbo compresses air into the motor (aka creates boost)

Where is the turbo located?

- The turbo is located immediately after the exhaust manifold.

What does a turbo consist of?

- A turbo mainly consists of:
2 housings (compressor and exhaust)
center section (the lubricating and bearing section)
2 wheels (compressor and exhaust turbine)
shaft (connecting the exhaust turbine to the compressor)

How does a turbo work?

- Exhaust gases exit the cylinder and flow into the exhaust manifold. From there the exhaust gases are diverted towards the exhaust turbine where the combined heat energies and flow velocity spool the wheel. This in turn spins the compressor side of the turbo and it begins to ingest air and create boost.

What is in a turbocharger system?

- Turbo - duh!

- Wastegate - this is a spring loaded valve that opens and closes. It is responsible for maintaining turbine speeds and thus boost pressure. When it is open a good amount of the exhaust gas is diverted away from the turbine, hence the turbo does not spool. When it is closed the exhaust gas is directed towards the turbine and the turbo spools. These can be incorporated into the turbo (internal wastegate) or included in a seperate valve that is incorporated into the exhaust manifold.

- Exhaust Manifold - the design of the manifold is a key to lag reduction... it differs from a normal header in that it generally has short runners to maximize exhaust velocities and thermal energy. One key design factor that can describe the differences in inline 6 and inline 4 manifolds is the inclusion of exhaust pulses. To optimize a boost curve you want to use an equal length manifold system so that you aren't surging the exhaust turbine with 4 pulses per revolution. This can cause boost spiking and boost creep. Other design features are common to n/a headers like runner diameters, extraction, scavenging, etc.

- Intercooler - Compressing air creates heat. This heat is measured as boost temps. Naturally cooler air creates more power simply because it is denser and it allows more consumption of fuel. But the main factor to an intercooler isnt exactly the ability to create a little more power due to lower boost temps, its the fact that the lower boost temps allow more boost. Ex. SR20DET on stock intercooler can run about 10psi max boost before the intercooler becomes ineffective at cooling the extra boost. With a large front mount intercooler from Blitz the SR20DET can now safely run near 29.4 psi (2.0 bar) of boost provided the turbo and motor can hold up to it. A larger intecooler however will increase the area the turbo must fill before the system becomes pressurized... this when measured is refered to as "lag". An intercooler usually consists of bars and fins. Think of a radiator for air.

- Piping - Its piping... runs from turbo compressor housing to intercooler ... out intercooler to the throttle body.

- Downpipe and Exhaust - 3" or larger downpipes and exhaust optimize turbo breathing and allow for better heat extraction, spool up, and longer turbo life. Power also can be boosted considerably top end with a larger diameter system. Beware alot of the gains on a turbo car ... ex. 55whp on a Supra w/ downpipe addition is from boost increase, not the part itself. Generally a downpipe will create 1-3 psi more boost on a stock computered and controlled vehicle. Using a 3" downpipe on stock exhaust is not recommended as it can create boost spiking which can potentially damage a motor, especially if the rpms are low and the motor is still on its low fuel and ignition maps.

- Blow Off Valve (BOV) - Ahhh the ol' noise maker. Ever run a turbo car and hear the loud purge noise created when he/she shifted? Thats due to the BOV. The BOV is similar to the wastegate in operation. It has a vacuum line running to just after the throttle body to sense vacuum. What it does is when it senses strong vacuum (ex. when you close the throttle body in a shift) the valve opens and purges the boost withen the piping. This prevents compressor surging which will damage the turbo very quickly. Compressor surge happens because the turbo is still spinning when the throttle body slams shut. This causes the system to suddenly pressurize itself even more (if the BOV was non-existant or not working) and this surges the turbo causing it to slow down which exerts alot of force on the turbo shaft and other components. To prevent the valve from opening prematurely the spring tension is adjustable via a screw or bolt on top of the BOV.

Corallary to the BOV - Strong debates over wether or not venting to the atmosphere have been going on for years. Venting to the atmosphere on some cars tends to make them stumble because you have purged metered air and the fuel hasnt been purged. So when you blow off the engine suddenly goes rich and you get a nice fireball. Frankly there are no ET / MPH differences that I have noticed between the two. If you are having a stalling or studdering problem with venting atmospherically then you should look into recirculating the air back to the intake after the MAS.

What is Boost?

- Boost is a measurement (in psi) of the backup of air withen the manifold.

The Numbers

Name - There are a ton of turbos ... the name often refers to the size of the turbo. Ex. a T25 is alot smaller than a T88. HKS uses 4 numbers to explain their setups... ex. GT2835 ... this turbo uses a GT28 compressor with a GT30 Exhaust Turbine. Often the T## series turbos are Garret Turbos, such as the stock OEM Nissan turbos and the HKS Turbos. Greddy uses Mitsubishi turbos however and they often turn up as something like this, TD07-25G, this tells us that the turbo uses a TD07 housing and a 25G wheel.

Trim - Trims effect efficiencies... you could compair them to the duration of a cam. The trim effects boost temps and compressor air flow efficiencies at given shaft RPMs. The higher the trim the better the turbo operates at a faster shaft speed. Larger trim turbos such as a T04S (60-1) at highly efficient at higher boost levels but are crappy at lower boost levels, in fact you will hit the compressors surge limit at low boost as well as get boost creep. However a smaller trim will provide better low boost efficiencies. Keep in mind that the trim is a modifier on the compressor/exhaust wheels. Meaning it changes efficiencies at certain boost levels for the same wheel size.

A/R Ratios - Area/Radius Ratio... it describes the size of the housing. A larger a/r will make the turbo spool slower but will provide superior flow and thus more top end power. A smaller a/r does exactly the opposite, it spools the turbo quickly and provides semi-adequate flow. There are so many different a/rs out there that allow you to fine tune what you need out of a turbo.

Turbo Cooling

- Always opt for maximum shaft cooling... this would include water and oil cooling. This makes the turbo live alot longer.

Turbo vs. Supercharger...A few Differences

- Turbos are exhaust driven where as the supercharger is a belt driven device
- Turbos operate at much higher speeds generally ... unless you have some monster turbo
- Turbos can be controlled from withen the car ... no boost pulley change is needed to modify boost pressures

Turbocharging a N/A Car

- Say you have a JapTrap and you want to turbocharge it. Here are the basics to make safe boost.

- Turbo
- Manifold to fit turbo
- Downpipe to exhaust
- Piping
- Intercooler
- ECU Remap
- Larger Injectors
- Larger than OEM Exhaust
- Higher Flowing Fuel Pump
- Oil Lines and Water Lines for Turbo
- Misc. Fittings for Turbo etc.
- Intake for Turbo
- GOOD Hoseclamps
- Silicon Piping Connection Pieces
- Wastegate (if you arent using an internally wastegated turbo)
- Boost Control (Wastegate Spring, Electronic Boost Controller, Manual Ball Valve, etc. )
- By-Pass Valve or BOV
- Clutch
- Wider Tires ()

Car specific parts might include:

- Larger Fuel Rail
- Cutting

Controlling Boost

- Electronic Boost Controller - such as the Profec B from Greddy. What is does is control the wastegate which controls shaft speeds which controls airflow and boost pressures as a result. The EBCs control boost better than a ball valve which is a vacuum controlled device.

- I dont suggest any other method on the street but other methods are wastegate controlled boost and ball-valves aka manual boost controllers.

now for some trivia on turbochargers -

Did you know......
  • The average temperature of the exhaust gas, at the entry point to a diesel turbo, is 800 degrees centigrade. A petrol engine can reach 1000 degrees, glowing bright yellow. Hot enough to melt window glass.

• New generation turbo's impellers rotate at up to 220,000 revs per minute. The impellers on a Boeing 747 engine rotate at about 7,000 revs in comparison.

• The air entering a turbo's compressor impeller can be travelling at a speed close to mach 1.

• At average engine revs, a medium size turbo will swallow 130 cubic feet of air per minute, equivalent to the interior volume of a transit van.

• Turbo shaft balance is crucial - imbalance at maximum revs equivalent to a 2 kilogram force is acceptable. Turbo Technics often finds turbos supplied for service with 6 kilos of imbalance. This is equivalent to driving along with a brick attached to your wheel rim.

• The "hot end" turbine blades in a turbo, are made from a high nickel content alloy, as used in jet aircraft engines. A blade will travel in the region of 820 mph at average engine speed, and the exhaust gas entering it will be supersonic.

• A turbo will accelerate from 20,000 revs per minute to over 150,000 revs per minute in less that one second.

You do now......
Old 07-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #73
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
Very nice ghostchild

How do I know if my car has ABS/LSD?

Here is a little guide to find out if you have ABS or an LSD. To find out if you have one, check the following letters and see if you have it as the 18th digit in your Model ID (NOT vin number... model ID is located on VIN plate under the hood on the firewall). Note: This is for S14 models only... sorry s13 guys

Feb 94 - Jul 95
A - LSD
B - neither
C - ABS/LSD
D - neither
E - LSD
F - neither

Jul 95 - Jul 96
A - LSD
B - ABS
C - ABS/LSD
D - neither
E - neither
F - neither

Jul 96 on
A - neither
B - neither
C - ABS/LSD
D - neither
E - neither
F - ABS/LSD
Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 PM   #74
cornykorn21
AF Newbie

Question Where is the KA support?

So we're getting all this information about RB's and SR's in the FAQ. How many of you actually have the KA in your car? I want to know where to get parts for the KA and basically everything you did for the SR and RB. Where do I get parts? Is realnissan the only place? I'm assuming the suspension and all of the stuff is the same but obviously the engine compents are different since it's a different engine. Who sells KA parts?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #75
too-cool-2
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to too-cool-2
well, lots of people make parts for the KA, but be specific on which parts, XS engineering makes a turbo kit, Greddy is working on one, crower makes rods that fit,

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...325&SearchYN=N has pullys, pistons, rods, oil pans, etc.

just do a search on google for KA24 Performance parts and you'll get like 200 results.

Scooby 00 2.5RS

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX