Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
exitRooster
AF Newbie

2007 EB EL radio and remote questions

Hey all.. We're in the market to kick one of our older cars to the curb and replace it with something more fitting to our size family (read current vehicle getting too cramped!!). I'm a long time Jeep and GM owner, not as familiar with the inner workings of Ford, but family and I have fallen in like with the titled vehicle.

Two problems / questions exist on this pre-purchase ride. It has (I think it's "premium" a 6-disc/mp3 radio head unit, but from googling the car, I see there was a touchscreen navigation system option. (mutl-disc also??). Wondering if I'd be able to replace the unit in there with the other factory unit without problems?

Also wondering about the keyless door entry (the numbers code deal on the door, not the fob/remote). From reading there is supposed to be a factory access number, but the original owner did not write it in the manual. Can I call a Ford dealer and get this code, do I have to bring it in to their shop, will I get charged for this? If so, (no offense dealers out there) it will become fodder for negotiations. I suspect a fee is involved because none of the sales guys "knew" how to get the code. This code is needed to be able to set my password on the door

Also wanted to check something else by ya'll.. On GM cars, you can enable and disable what Ford calls Autolock. I see Ford has the same enable/disable option. What I'm curious about is that while it locks ALL the doors, it does not seem to UNLOCK the doors when I shut the SUV off. Is that normal? Is there a way to make it unlock ALL the doors just as it locks them at that point? I could imagine it getting old having to manually unlock the doors (yea, hitting the power unlock) every time the kiddos and I hop out of the vehicle, but that said, I like the security and safety involved in the doors locking automatically. Guess I'm wondering if that's something 'hidden' that I can enable (for it to automatically unlock the back doors) or if it might be a flaw/problem with this vehicle.

Other than that, any tips, things to look for on these rides? So far we're really impressed, but that could be "new car eyes" on our part, been awhile (2002) since a "new" car has entered our lives, heh

Thanks for your time,

eR
exitRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
exitRooster
AF Newbie

Re: 2007 EB EL radio and remote questions

In addition to the above post, found out some other info..

One of our keys isn't 'thick', that is, has no plastic part at the top. Interesting (to me) I discovered today it will unlock the truck door, and will turn the ignition to run, but will not let me start the car. Doing a search for expedition keys tells me they have transponder keys (whatever that is exactly...??), and there's a site called http://www.autotransponder.com/2007_...ry_remotes.php. Has anyone used them to buy stuff from before? They carry the key for $19.99, and they carry the fob for $38 (dealer wanted to charge me $86!).

Last edited by exitRooster; 03-14-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
dufoe7112
AF Newbie

they will sell you the key for that price but you have to get it programmed. usually a lock store can program it for you , or the dealer, i would use the dealer and they will charge you 30 bucks to do it. best to just get the key from ford. the keyless entry you can try and do yourself, you can get one on ebay for 10 bucks. and yes the head unit will directly change out if you want to. i would leave it in though just because you know it works.

If your buying from a dealer , make them give you 2 sets of keys that work and key fobs. they are cheap for them to buy
dufoe7112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
exitRooster
AF Newbie

What about the autolock feature? Any way to make it unlock ALL the doors when you shut it off instead of just the front?

Went ahead and got a key through the dealer - Was a little more, but I suspected if I showed up with my own new key they'd probably tack some charge on still anyway. The fob however, I'm going to buy either through that place or eBay, as the dealer wants $89 for it!! Heck - The fordparts.com website says it's $47 - Dunno why the HUGE markup at my dealer, that's a load of crap though, lol..

I wouldn't buy the navi radio (factory unit) from somewhere I didn't trust, lol, and I'd still keep the orig 6-disc in a box just in case.. But as to the why, of course to add the navi/touchscreen feature to my ride!

Next on my list (gonna read the manual, but if anyone knows, feel free to respond in case I don't find it) is to figure out if I can match the fob and/or actual keys to the seat positions 1 and 2, so that the car adjusts accordingly to the driver.

Oh and just to cover it, in regard to the keyless door code.. When the dealer programmed the key, they went into the system and got me that factory code as well. Seems it has to be hooked up to their computer to get it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition