Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
martian1706
AF Newbie

fan sound on start-up

yeah it sonds weird but i can't understand it. vehicle is a 2001 mercury sable LS. i have 2 issues going on with my sable. with the a/c not engaged, i hear a "jingle" noise. found that issue but don't know if its serious or not. i understand that its an electric clutch that engages the compresser but on the outer-side of the compressor next to the pulley is a plate thats not tight and is vibrating which is causing that noise. dont know how serious this is? another issue, when i start the car,a/c on or off doesn't matter. i hear this wierd sound like a big fan makes,inside or outside of the car i can hear it, its decently loud, but after like a min or two it goes away. thats the crazy part....im a mechanic of somesort(aircraft) and it just baffles me.... so in this post there are 2 issues but if you have advise for 1 of them, please give. inside the car it almost sound like a fluid getting past through a hose that has air bubbles in it.. checked all fluids, coolant is a tad low, so i dont think thats an issue. i have had this issue for maybe 2 weeks. changed the oil and like a few days prior to having this problem. vehicle has 31k miles on it. i have owned it for 1 year, prior to that older couple owned it. been in 2 accidents, 1st on RH front quarter panel 2nd, passenger doors (both) thx...
martian1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: fan sound on start-up

your sure it's not the cluth on the air compresure?
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Use a feeler gage and give me the clearance between the clutch plate and the face. Sometimes they go bad and need replaced. I suggest you get the system checked out for the proper charge.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
martian1706
AF Newbie

ok i took the car to work last night, had one of my automotive guru friends take a look at it. he has had a few issues with compressors on a bundle of his cars, he says i need to tighten the center bolt on the outside face plate first and then see if the extra sound goes away. he said that noise was emitting from the rubbing that the plate is doing agaist the pulley. i didn't check it with a feeler gauge, but i use .070" almost on a regular basis so i would say that the space between the ouside face and the plate that makes contact with the pulley, is roughly .045" give or take .005, if you need a more accurate messurment i could get it tonight. also i was told that to tighten that center nut i would need to purchace a special tool and if so where could i purchase this. i would like to find a part number for my compresser so i could maybe locate a microfish break down to see the parts i might need/ visual aid to assist me with this issue. i would like to have specific names for the parts of the clutch that im trying to describe instead of face plate and what not... any help with that would be peachy!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
martian1706
AF Newbie

and about checking the charge... i think i need to fix the clutch on the compressor first. but it does get ice cold so i don't think i have an issue there, but i will check it once this other issue is resolved....
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I normally set the gap around .030 Ford used to take a 14mm deep thin socket. I used a Craftsman because it was thin enough to go in. My 3/8 drive Mac impact sockets wouldn't go in. Otherwise look with a flashlight or borrow your friends tool.
Ask your friend where to buy parts and quality rebuilders. I've found not all rebuilders have quality products.
Don't buy from a local parts store unless you know what they carry. Specialty houses sell all kind of parts.
Normally you need a new bearing,maybe a clutch assembly and a new front seal. Plus a diagram on how to set it up and install. If you remove a seal you need a vacuum pump,compressor oil, R134 and filter dryer and expansion valve or tube.
Ask your friend to help you he should have the tools.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
martian1706
AF Newbie

yeah im gonna do some searching for a new clutch and grab a mirror and see exactly what the deal is... since the A/C is working ice cold think im gonna try to avoid breaking any seals... once a good working A/C system is cracked, it goes down hill from there, from what i have herd...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable