Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I want a Bullet Machismo!

Just for the name, it nothing else.

I have known tha India seems to be home to the relics of British industry (ie Hindustan Ambassador), and the Royal Enfield.

However, these days the Enfield Bullet 350 in particular, looks beautiful, from a 50's retro point of view.
http://www.royalenfield.com/default.aspx

Does anyone know how reliable or good they are? I presume they are pretty slow, which is in keeping for their design, but if they are well made and well finished, I want one.

Opinions?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Re: I want a Bullet Machismo!

I've ridden a Military Edition 500, and it was a cool bike. It was a 2008, but looked straight out of the 1950's! But I guess that's how they still build them, the same as they have since the 50's.
It wasn't very powerful, it made my old Ninja 250 seem like a ZX-14 compared to it. It had a very vintage ride to it, cornered decently, but with the front drum brake, it took quite a while to stop. It was quite an experience riding one.
If you're into the vintage bike look, and not killer performance, I think you'd be happy with one.
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
evilgrrrl666
AF Newbie

If you're considering any Royal Enfield, keep the following in mind:
it is ancient technology compared to other bikes out there (whether this is an advantage or disadvantage depends on your preferences).
make sure, whatever you get, it should have a disc brake in the front. The drum brakes used on Enfields are very ineffective.

The build quality in terms of finish is fair - chrome might rust if you don't like polishing and/or park it in the rain. However, don't expect it to be a clean and neat bike. Almost all Enfields that I have seen (having lived in India for 5 years) - plus one I've owned myself - have oil leaks, in most cases from the moment they are purchased brand spanking new. In fact a common saying amongst owners as well as Enfield mechanics is "if it's leaking all is fine, get worried when it stops leaking, that means the oil is finished and you'll seize the engine". So don't worry too much about a few drops here and there, put a piece of cardboard down when you park it for a few days, and make sure the oil doesn't run out.

These bikes are indeed not very fast; 60-65mph is pretty much the max. they will do. And they do not like such speeds for extended periods of time - they're most happy cruising around at 40mph...
Keep in mind that if you're buying a new one, you have to run it in for at the very least 2000miles - not exceeding 30mph. Once the first running in period is over, gradually take the bike faster and faster so the engine gets used to higher speeds. Otherwise it WILL seize! Not kidding - I have seen people kill their brand new bike within days of taking delivery of it!

Once it's run in, and if you don't mind using a kick start, you keep topping up the engine oil regularly and it will run and run for decades to come. These bikes - provided you have a bit of mechanical knowledge - are fairly easy to fix and quite reliable if you don't push them to the limit. That is why in India they are used by people for long distance tours to some of the most inhabitable places (Himalayas etc.).

Hope this helps... Enjoy
evilgrrrl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgrrrl666 View Post
If you're considering any Royal Enfield, keep the following in mind:
it is ancient technology compared to other bikes out there (whether this is an advantage or disadvantage depends on your preferences).
The new RE's have the aluminum "lean burn" engine that is supposed to be a more modern design with electronic ignition. Still ancient basic engine design though!

Quote:
make sure, whatever you get, it should have a disc brake in the front. The drum brakes used on Enfields are very ineffective.
Yeah, the brakes on the Bullet I rode, sucked!

Quote:
Almost all Enfields that I have seen (having lived in India for 5 years) - plus one I've owned myself - have oil leaks, in most cases from the moment they are purchased brand spanking new.
So, they are pretty much like a Harley! I've seen new Harleys on the showroom floor, leaking oil!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Easy on Harley there buddy,

I got my eye you!!!

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz View Post
Easy on Harley there buddy,

I got my eye you!!!
I'm only speaking the truth!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Was this a newer Harley, or are you showing your age and it was something from back in the AMF days (those don't count as Harleys in my book)? My 01 Fatboy doesn't leak or use a drop of oil, and a buddy of mine has 96 Dresser with over 200k miles that still runs like new, and has never had any engine or trans work done to it.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

It was only a few years ago that I saw the new Harley leaking onto the showroom floor. A few of the people I know haven't had the greatest reliability with their HD's. My Aunt has an '04 Sportster 1200 that won't stop leaking oil and has had numerous electrical problems. And the dealer was little help when it was still under warranty. A co-worker has a '99 FLSTC that had to have the cylinders re-bored at around 30k miles.
I'm not bashing Harleys, but like other bikes, they aren't perfect as other say they are. Your friends bike with 200k miles is a LOT for any bike!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

No problem Caddydaddy, just giving you a little crap, all in fun. I would never attempt to say Harley's are perfect, as they most certainly are not.

I cannot believe that a dealership would allow that bike to sit on their showroom, not a real good selling point saying "and look, it marks it spot!". So many people still bash Harley because of what AMF spewed out in the 70's-80's and those piles of garbage don't count. I'm not one of those Harley guys that thinks there are 2 types of motorcycles, Harleys and pieces of shit. I love all well designed bikes, and there is a whole bunch of Japanese and Euro bikes I would proudly have sitting next to my Fatboy if the wife would let me have one of them. I can't afford to buy her $8k worth of shoes and jewelry, so I have to stick with one bike, damn it!

And I still got my eye on you......

Old 02-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz View Post

And I still got my eye on you......
OK, I'll behave! At least the Harleys don't have self-grenading shaft drives like BMWs! :P

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes