Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
exj132
AF Newbie

1994 Buick Regal intermittent starting problems

I have a 1994 Buick Regal. It randomly won't start. I've had it to 3 different mechanics, the last one telling me I have a ghost in my car. Anyway, when you turn the key, nothing happens. Actually, the radio and air conditioning will come on, but when you actually turn the key over everything turns off and it doesn't even attempt to turn over. There is no click, nothing. I've turned off the remote starter at this point, but even when it was hooked it up, it wouldn't start the car when it was acting up. Eventually, if I try and start it enough the car starts. Usually it takes about 5 minutes or so, and when it does start it runs perfectly. I've noticed that this seems to happen more often if the car is parked on an incline. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks
exj132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
regal1991
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Buick Regal intermittent starting problems

My 1991 is doing something similar. I took off the positive cable and it worked just fine for 5 starts, then today it did not even after taking the cable off. I banged on the starter solenoid and it started. i am taking the starter off tomorrow.
regal1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

My guess would be the VATS system. Do you have a little black "chip" in your key?
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
malimag99
AF Newbie

The problem is in the ignition cylinder not reading the resistance on the black chip on youre key, to do the test use a multimeter, select the ohms, and read the resistance on the key. Now find the orange wire under the stering colum and disconect it, now with the key in the ignition test the resistance on the orange wire, this wire have two thin withe wires inside, the resistance should be the same thru the full turn of the key, if not the same, the ignition cylinder is faulty. To solve this problem reconnect the orange wire, cut the wire, peel the two withe wires and install a resistor with the same resistance as the chip on the key. You can find this resistor at any radio shack store for $2.00.

good luck
malimag99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
93rgeal87gn
AF Newbie

as everyone says if u have that chip on your key its your car not reading it..... my car also did this but my problem was my starter ....that fixed my problem starters are like 25 dollars and eassy to put in
93rgeal87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
layden4
AF Newbie

my car is doing the same thing i dont know what to do they said everything was fine at teh buick dealership when i took it there (my 94 regal custom) the next morning try to go start it it will turn but it wont turn all the way over please someone help me
layden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
exj132
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by layden4
my car is doing the same thing i dont know what to do they said everything was fine at teh buick dealership when i took it there (my 94 regal custom) the next morning try to go start it it will turn but it wont turn all the way over please someone help me

I found out that the problem was actually with my automatic starter. I took it out and never had another problem. Good luck.
exj132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
louis12
AF Newbie

why do my battery meter jump after i start my car or during driving.
louis12 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal