Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
tota
AF Newbie

1989 olds cutlass cierra is hard to start when the car is cold

I have a 1989 olds cutlass cierra 6 cyl. I have to crank the engine for about 30 seconds before it will start when the motor is cold. Once the car starts, it runs fine and starts immediately while the engine is warm. On a really hot day, the car starts sometimes right away, even though it has been sitting for a long time. This obviously led led me to believe it's temperature sensor problem, so I replaced the temperature sensor in the block. I also replaced the feul pump and dumped a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank. None of this has seemed to help and I'm wondering if anyone out there has run into similar problems and has found the answer. I will be greatful for any constructive help. Thanks, Tota.
tota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
ART-F
AF Newbie

Re: 1989 olds cutlass cierra is hard to start when the car is cold

I have the same year car (but 4 cyl) with the exact same problem. Luckily It has a good battery. It was -7
degrees the other morning and I had to crank it about 12 times before it started. I would appreciate an e-mail if you figure it out, and I will do likewise. I am going to install a thin plastic tube into the air cleaner lid for external injection of starting fluid this weekend.
ART-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
tota
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1989 olds cutlass cierra is hard to start when the car is cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART-F
I have the same year car (but 4 cyl) with the exact same problem. Luckily It has a good battery. It was -7
degrees the other morning and I had to crank it about 12 times before it started. I would appreciate an e-mail if you figure it out, and I will do likewise. I am going to install a thin plastic tube into the air cleaner lid for external injection of starting fluid this weekend.
In reply to your querie on whether or not I have solved the problem. I'm afraid I haven't and the car isn't really worth sinking any more money into, and as it always seems to start, I'm just going to live with the problem unless somebody else figures things out.
tota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
jsgold
AF Enthusiast

My father's 89 Olds had a starting problem in cold and rain. The ignition module was weak and we changed that and his crank sensor.(On his the crank sensor was bolted on to the module). He had a 2.5 4 cylinder. If yours is not in an impossible place to reach (like my fathers was..) you could remove the coil pack / ignition module assy and have it tested at NAPA or Advance. May be weak and failing. Costs about 80-100 for module, and some people replace coils as well (we did not). If yours has the crank sensor attached as well they are pretty cheap. Since yours is a 6 cylinder, it is probably is not. But the ignition module seems a prime suspect if you have ruled out fuel etc.
jsgold is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series