Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
log_cabin_sam
AF Newbie

'00 G Caravan starts hard when freezing out

My 2000 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 has an intermittent problem. Sometimes, after sitting outside all night in below freezing temperatures, it will not want to start. Really bad. After lots of cranking, and charging the battery back up, and repeating this cycle several times, I can usually get it firing on a few cylinders, and then "feather" the throttle until the engine comes back to life. Then it will run fine all day. Shutting down, starting, the whole nine yards. But after you let it set for about twelve hours overnight.... back to the problem. But not every time either. Strange problem. I thought it was tied to bad gas at first, but even after filling up using gas treatment stuff, it will still do it sometimes. What do you think?
log_cabin_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
jasonsteele
AF Newbie

Re: '00 G Caravan starts hard when freezing out

Well first of all your problem, and mine, is that we purchased Caravans!!!!
As you can see in my "thread" below, I am having the exact same problem(04 Caravan). I finally gave up, and towed the vehicle to Dodge dealer. Will let you know what they tell me.
I couldn't even smell fuel when I was cranking mine. Once it fired, it ran fine all day..short and long trips all day. But once parked in -10 weather for more than 4 hours, it would not start again. Tried fuel conditioner, gas line anti-freeze and the old "bang on the fuel pump" trick.
I'm thinking fuel pump, or a simple sensor into the "main brain" unit.
GMC will be my next purchase!!!!
jasonsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
jasonsteele
AF Newbie

So....2 hours of shop time, and the dealer still can't find the problem. Apparently it is a wiring problem from relay to sensor to fuel pump. but they can't seem to pinpoint the wire!!!
All I see is $$$$$$$ !!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
jasonsteele
AF Newbie

So $300 later from the dealer and this is what they came up with.
"Open circuit in wiring between PCM and Automatic Shutdown Relay."
$228.00 to find the problem
$2.50 for 5 feet of wire and shrink tube
My next purchase....GMC
Old 02-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Jason,

Your van should be covered under warranty fo this repair. I would contact Chrysler and argue this point. You have a good good shot at winning the argument....

There have been several documented problems with the ASD circuit in 01-06 Vans and the ASD relay circuit due to bad (corroded, stressed) connections. It's a similar problem that the 96-00 vans had with the transmission wire harness (no start, no backup lights, no upshift control)

Trouble is, most dealerships and technicians don't look at service bulletins, or at least don't read them. We went through this folly a few years back with the "clocksprings" in 3rd gen Mopar minivans, and they still fix that for free.

I knew it wasn't bad Gas!

Log Cabin Sam,

As far as for your Van, you may also have an ASD circuit problem, or the fuel pump could be going bad (gummed up) in cold weather, it would barely turn if at all. Take off the gas cap, turn the ignition on, and listen for the hum/buzz of the fuel pump. If you don't hear it, odds are your pump is gummed up and needs to be replaced. of course a similar defect in the ASD wiring can do this to, as well as the ASD relay itself going bad (next to the battery...with the fuses.

Hope that helped,

Slantsixness
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
log_cabin_sam
AF Newbie

Hi, van still has the problem by the way. I've looked and tested with meters all the wiring I can, can't seem to find any faults.

My wife, has figured a better way of getting it going for now at least (don't know how it'll work when it's really really cold out). When you start it, and it fires up, stumbling around on 3 - 4 cylinders, she quickly (but not too quickly) presses the accelerator to the floor, and releases right away. The engine coughs a little, and then smoothes right out. It's almost like she is "setting" something when she does that, like setting the choke in an older car.

Keep in mind that this is still only tied to colder weather, and it only does it after it's been sitting for about 12 hours in the cold weather.

My father-in-law claims an identical problem on a '95 corvette. He says he fixed it by replacing the engine control computer. Swears I'm stupid if I don't try the same.

Maybe I'll try it, just to rule that out. I hate to just throw money at problems though, I'm more of a tinkerer.

If I do ever fix it, I will post my findings with loud fanfare and excitement.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
log_cabin_sam
AF Newbie

I thought I'd post the resolution to this issue: It turned out to be the coil pack. yes, a $30 part from the local parts store fixed this issue. I feel like a dork for not trying this to begin with.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by log_cabin_sam
I thought I'd post the resolution to this issue: It turned out to be the coil pack. yes, a $30 part from the local parts store fixed this issue. I feel like a dork for not trying this to begin with.

Hey thanks for posting the fix. I've read of coils failing due to heat but, cold failure is new to me. Thanks for the info. As far as the "dork" issue, hindsight always clears away the fog. The important thing is you stuck with it and fixed it. Congrats!

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager